What Light Through Yonder Aquarium...

Author Topic: What light through yonder aquarium...  (Read 3477 times) 5 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
What light through yonder aquarium...
« on: August 29, 2013, 02:28:11 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All,

I have been looking through different articles to try and find general opinion on lighting. Then I thought, what am I doing? Ask the TF crew ;)
Now, I know they require different fittings, but other than that, what is a better light? The T5 or the T8? Does one or other give better fish and plant colour? Also, is one better than the other if you have live plants?

Anyway, over to you guys....I know you'll have the answers.....thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: What light through yonder aquarium...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 07:35:06 AM »
"It is the east, and probably isn't the sun. "

"What is a better light?"  That's called an "open question". Better for what? Your wallet, your plants, your fish, your electricity bill... etc. But I will endeavour to give a summary.

Basically, the difference between T5 and T8 is the amount of light they output.  A T5 will produce approximately twice as much light per foot as a T8. A High Output T5 about 3 times as much. This is a very rough and ready guideline.

There are other differences, different fittings, different electronics, different power etc. Colour however is determined by the type and mixture of the chemicals that coat the inside of a fluorescent tube. They are called phosphors if you are interested. The colour of a particular tube is measured by what is called it's colour temperature. You can get sensible coloured tubes of either T5 or T8. By sensible, I personally would stick to lights having a colour temperature around 6500K. These are daylight white tubes, significantly higher and they will have a red cast, significantly lower, a blue cast.

I can't remember whether you have live plants, but since you asked I will assume you do. "Better" is such a subjective term; Which is "better" depends upon what you wish to achieve and with how much aggro. Talking very generally here, a tank with 2 full length T8 tubes will produce enough light to keep what is called a "low-tech" planted tank. This involves growing "easy" plants and not having to bother with adding CO2. 2 T5 tubes will mean you can grow more dificult plants, but you should start to think seriously about adding CO2. Any more than 2 T5 or 2 T5HO and you really have to be adding CO2.

And then there are LEDs.........

If you require a more detailed answer, provide a better question please.

Note:Edited to add red bit

"Good night, good night! parting is such sweet sorrow"

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:59:32 AM »
“Take it in what sense thou wilt.”

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:08:07 AM »
How rude! Fancy taking so-oo long to reply to you.....my sincere apologies, Steve :-[ Between work, summer visitors, airport runs and generally crap broadband, I'm afraid my TF time has been neglected.

Anyway, thank you for your help. I am just researching for my new tank because I'd like to get everything right to start with.
Yes, I do have live plants and don't really want to go down the CO2 route. By the way, why do you have to add CO2 if you choose to have T5 tubes? That's probably a numpty question, but hey! that's what I am ;D
Actually, I am interested in the phosphers and I agree with you. I would like a daylight colour and not a blueish or reddish hue to the light.

I didn't make my question very clear....sorry :-[ I did mean better, as in would one or the other give a more natural light and not cast a strange tint on the tank and it's residents and which sort would the fish and plants be happier under.

So, is that a 'better' question? ;)

Thanks Steve, for you previous prompt reply and apologies again for my tardiness

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:01:41 PM »
No need to apologise for having a life ;) To answer your questions:

Why CO2. It's a bit long but... In order to grow, plants (well any life actually) require 4 basic elements. Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen and Nitrogen. These are the basic ingredients in proteins and carbohydrates and stuff that make life possible. Hydrogen and Oxygen are obtained from the water, Nitrogen from Ammonia, Nitrates or plant food in the tank. This leaves Carbon. Now fish etc breathe out CO2. But if we add extra lights the plants want to grow more vigorously because there is more energy available and the CO2 the fish provide is insufficient. So we have to add a Carbon source. There are two options; CO2 and "liquid Carbon". Liquid Carbon is some form of Carbonate compound. Not all plants can handle the added complexity of Carbonates and some react badly to them, so CO2 is the usual safe bet. If we don't add a Carbon source, the extra energy is used to grow algae!

The "Colour" of light is measured by it's colour temperature. Fish don't really care what shade of white you provide, or how much really. If you are looking at buying a new tank, look for one that has two full-length T5 lights and put 6500K tubes in them and you can't really go wrong. You can retro fit T5 but it can be difficult, it's easier when buying a new tank just to get the right sort to start with.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 12:58:43 AM »
Ah...now I never said I had a life ;)

Thanks for that explanation, Steve...and it all made perfect sense to me as well....I must be having a good day :) Quite amazing really as since Saturday night, I have had the grand total of 9 hours sleep!
I am blitzing the kitchen at the moment...well, actually at the moment, of course, I am writing this...but back to the kitchen in a minute, then I'll be heading off for some kip....sods law...when I get there I won't be able to sleep ???

I shall definitely make sure that my new tank has 2x T5 lights and the 6500K tubes you have advised. So, that's my substrate sorted...thanks to Colin, and now my lighting. Next step, I think will be to think about the decor and planting I want.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What light through yonder aquarium..."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 12:46:38 PM
by SteveS
19 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 04:25:25 PM
by DutchyHolland
4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2016, 01:07:22 PM
by Paddyc
0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2016, 09:01:44 AM
by michael01
6 Replies
Last post January 07, 2019, 02:45:50 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 05:31:49 PM
by Matt
1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2019, 05:27:54 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: