What's Best, Spray Bar Or Funnel?

Author Topic: What's best, spray bar or funnel?  (Read 4969 times) 5 replies

Offline Tommo

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
What's best, spray bar or funnel?
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:33:54 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all, what are people's thoughts on spray bars and the funnel nozzle? What's best for the fish? Best mounting- above or below water line? Also if below water line does this create enough oxygen or would an air pump be needed?

Thanks in advance

Justin

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Re: What's best, spray bar or funnel?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:04:31 AM »
I currently use a funnel outlet, but have had a spray bar in the past - I found it clogged up easily and had to be cleaned regularly but they could be better now-a-days?

I'm not sure whether one is better than the other for the fish though - I think the key is to ensure you have some surface movement either way. My funnel outlet is below the surface but I have it pointing up towards the surface and at an angle so as to both disturb the surface and create a current around the tank. I also occasionally supplement the water movement created by the filter with a small wavemaker.

I would imagine that a spray bar above the surface would be best overall for oxygenation but is likely to be noisy!

Offline Tommo

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »
Thanks dbaggie. I am using the funnel now, under the water line and it creates a nice current, plus my lights look good cascading into the tank. Would I have to do anything else for oxygen etc as there is not much surface agitation as with the spray bar which visibly made air bubbles.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 04:04:25 PM »
All you need is for the water surface to ripple as it moves quickly from one side of the tank to the other - adjust the angle of the funnel if necessary. You don't need bubbles, all they do is churn the water up a bit. Oxygen doesn't actually dissolve from the bubbles, it dissolves at the water-air interface ie the surface. And carbon dioxide leaves the water the same way.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
You just need decent surface movement as Sue says - when you use something like an air stone to create bubbles under the water, it's generally the bubbles disturbing the surface which creates most of the oxygenation, not the bubbles themselves.

Offline Tommo

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »
Thanks all

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What's best, spray bar or funnel?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post May 05, 2016, 10:04:50 AM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: