Used Fluval 205 External Filter.

Author Topic: Used Fluval 205 External Filter.  (Read 16804 times) 11 replies

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
Used Fluval 205 External Filter.
« on: July 13, 2013, 03:44:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All.

I've not posted on here for a little while, so it's about time I asked another stupid question.  :)

I have just bought a used Fluval 205 external filter on eBay. There were no instructions and I am having difficulties. Firstly, I can't even open it up.  :-\  There are two silver clips on the side and it doesn't seem to matter what position they are in, nothing moves. There is also a silver semi-circle "thing" on the top. Not sure if it matters where that is. Do I twist the top or should it just come off? I don't like to force it.

Once I get it open, I think there are 3 or 4 "baskets" in there. What goes in them? Included with the filter is one bit of foam (about 20cm x 7cm), ten other bits of foam (roughly cut into semi-circles) and a jar of Fluval Zeo-Carb (about a quarter full). I'm sure I've heard peolple talk about carbon as well.   

I know you can download instruction manuals online, but my computer is so old that it crashes every time I try to do this. It also has no sound, so YouTube tutorials aren't much help. :( 

Any advice would be appreciated. Even if it's just how to open up the (censored) thing.

Thank you. x

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Used Fluval 205 External Filter.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »
I know you said your computer crashes, but just in case:
fluval 205 manual
If it would be any help, you could PM me your address and I'll print and post the manual. or your email address and I can email it to you (if that wouldn't crash you computer). I know there is an email facility on this site but I can't figure out how to attach documents)

This is from the maintence section where it assumes you have been using the filter and it's full of water. But the way to get into it is the same whether it's full of water or not.

1. Close the AquaStop valve by lifting the black lever all the way up. This seals off the input and output hosing connections to maintain the vacuum that is necessary in order to restart the filter without priming.
2. Unplug the power cord.
3. Lift the silver lock lever to release the AquaStop valve.
4. Hold the unit by the canister, not the cover, and move it to an appropriate flat surface near a sink or other drain
5. Release the lift-lock clamps; then push down on clamps to lift the cover/pump housing off the canister and set it aside

DO NOT FILL CANISTER WITH WATER WHEN RE-ASSEMBLING UNIT
1. Place rinsed and filled media baskets back in canister, and put cover back on top basket.
2. Replace foam screen in canister. (Insert with flat end down.)
3. Inspect and lubricate Gasket as needed
4. Replace the cover, making certain the MSF logo and power cord are properly aligned
5. Use the lock-lift clamps to close the cover securely.
6. Place the unit back in position; re-insert the AquaStop valve, and push down the silver lever to lock it in place.
7. Push down on the black lever to open the AquaStop valve. Water should start flowing immediately. Important: If the hosing has been disconnected from the AquaStop valve, or if the system has lost its vacuum for some other reason, the canister will not fill automatically. Use the instant-prime handle to fill the canister
8. Allow the canister to fill completely, then plug the power cord back into the electrical outlet. IMPORTANT: If the canister is not full before the filter is plugged in, it may not work properly. The filter unit should never be allowed to run dry. Running the unit dry may result in damage to the motor.

As for media, this is what it suggests but I don't agree with some of them.

Alongside the baskets, the diagram shows an oblong sponge held vertically in a frame - this is called the foam screen and is designed to trap particles in the water. The water flows through this sponge before getting to the baskets. foam pads

Lower level basket:
Mechanical media to continue the mecanical filtration stared by the foam screen. It suggests carbon or carbon-zeolite. Carbon is not necessary, and if you put zeolite first in the water flow it will absorb the ammonia in the water starving the bacteria which live in the media further into the filter.
The easiest thing to use in this basket would be coarse filter sponge, cut to fit tightly in the baket (that is, no gaps to allow the water to go round bits of sponge rather than through it). Coarse rather than fine as fine would clog too quickly.

Mid level baskets:
Biomax (little ceramic cylinders)

Upper level basket:
Biomax. And you can also put a polishing pad on top if you want to remove any very fine particles.

Hope this help.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »
Thanks Sue, that is a great help.

I have got it open now. I hadn't thought of pushing down on the clamps. There are already 4 rectangular foam pads inside, so the extra one is a spare.

I obviously need to get Biomax. (I'm sure eBay will help). The semi-circular foam pads I have appear to be the polishing pads, so I have plenty of them.

The sponge that you mention to go in the lower level basket with the media. Is this the same as the
polishing pad?

Once I have got the Biomax, I'll probably need help actually getting it up and running. lol.   :D

Thanks again for your help.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 05:29:16 PM »
For the bottom basket, I meant any make coarse sponge cut to fit. The polishing pads are to remove any really fine bits rather than big bits. I've just noticed that besides carbon and carbon-zeolite (I wouldn't use either of those) they also say you can use something called pre-filter. This looks a bit like biomax but intead of being circular tubes, pre-filter is hexagonal tubes. Eheim have small tubes as their mechanical stage, this pre-filter looks like Hagen's version of that. I would use this not a sponge now that I've noticed it in the manual.

I have saved the manual, so I can copy and paste more bits as you need them. The only problem is that it won't let me copy the diagrams.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »
Thanks Sue.

You're a star. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »
Hagen makes the Fluval range. I've contacted them before and they've always responded promptly. You could try asking them for a copy of the manual. Here is their contact page. Click on "send us an email" then the box "can't find an answer". If they will send you one you'll have the diagrams as well as the text.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »
Thanks for that Sue, but I think I will just look things up on a friends computer. One that isn't likely to crash. I could also watch the YouTube tutorials on how to set it up.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 08:28:05 PM »
If you can use your friend's computer, download the manual and print it then you'd have it when you can't access your friend's computer ;D. It's only so large (2.07 MB) because it has the same thing in 4 different laguages. You'd only need to print a quarter of it.

The link to the manual is in my first post.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:23:53 PM »
Hi All (probably Sue)  :)

I have finally got the bits and pieces needed to get this up and running. I tried to do this earlier, but I can't seem to get it to fill with water. I have tried pumping the instant-prime handle, which should cause the water in the tank to bubble, but nothing.

I have managed to see the manual that Sue gave the link to in an earlier post, but I'm still not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any ideas?
Thank you,
Ian.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »
Has anyone got any ideas re: my previous post?

Thank you.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 05:13:25 PM »
I've never used an external but looking at the instruction manual for your filter, it has a bit of a checklist after installing it but before starting it.

• No kinks or loops in the hosing.
• The base of the canister is not more than 4.5 ft. (1.4m) below the water level.
• The water is not more than 7 in. (17.5cm) below the aquarium rim.
• The intake assembly is securely attached to the aquarium wall..
• No air is bubbling into the water at points where the intake assembly and the output nozzle
connect to the hosing.
• No water is escaping from the hosing at the AquaStop valve connection points.
• The canister cover is securely closed.
• The black and silver levers on the AquaStop valve are both pushed all the way down.

It says to continue pumping till the unit starts to run on its own. How long have you pumped for?

I'm sorry I'm not being much help, but my knowledge of externals is theoretical rather than practical.

Just a though - have you greased the seals? I think people use vaseline for that. I know that external owners advise greasing the seals or the perish and leak. Maybe if they aren't greased they allow air in. I have to grease the gasket on my pressure cooker (I use cooking oil for that) or it doesn't always seal.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 11:43:26 AM »
Thanks Sue.

I wasn't looking forward to going to the shop to buy Vaseline, but luckily I found some in the back of a cupboard that my ex-girlfriend must have bought before she left last year.

I greased it up and after 5 minutes of vigorous pumping (this is one big innuendo isn't it. lol.  ;) ), it started to bubble and fill with water. I have plugged it in and it seems to be working fine. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again. x 

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Used Fluval 205 External Filter."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 05:15:28 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2016, 03:21:42 PM
by Extreme_One
13 Replies
Last post May 22, 2017, 09:46:43 PM
by MarquisMirage
4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2019, 07:01:21 PM
by Littlefish
13 Replies
Last post March 28, 2019, 08:17:52 PM
by Sue
41 Replies
Last post December 21, 2019, 09:15:21 PM
by barneyadi
2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2021, 04:10:04 PM
by Cherry Margot

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: