Tick Tick Tick Tick

Author Topic: Tick tick tick tick  (Read 9507 times) 31 replies

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Tick tick tick tick
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 02:30:49 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The bulb fittings are fitted to the lid....and are knocked off easily as I found out the hard way....
Thanks Steve, that was exactly the answer I was looking for, even when the question was ambiguous and vague.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 10:49:57 AM »
The problem, as I have found, is that LEDs designed for aquariums don't give a K rating  >:(
The one I went for comes in two colours for freshwater - bright white (which is white) and colourplus which is pink and is designed to "make the reds and blues in the fish stand out" (quote from the shop! They had one on a goldfish tank and the fish were bright bright orange under it). I've read that Arcadia tubes are faintly pink, though I've not seen one in use.

The shop also warned about those LED strips that use adhesive pads to fix them in place - they come unstuck. If you go for LEDs rather than replace the ballast and get fluorescents, get those that can fit into the light sockets or those that use circular clips which go round the tube and screw into the lid, assuming your lid allows for that.
And based on my experience with the little 6 inch LED don't put them underwater, even if they are supposed to be submersible (mine leaked).

I know Steve says to get non-aquarium LEDs as they are a lot cheaper (and do have a K rating) but the problems is finding those that don't use the fluorescent ballast as the power supply - you can't do that as yours is dead.
Any links Steve?

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 12:35:13 PM »
Yeah I've had a quick look and the ones that seem suitable do use the hood fittings. I also had the same concerns with the sticky pads, would there be the same possibility of failure with suction hooks?
Was there any 'shocking' development's after finding the leak? :rotfl:

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 02:44:01 PM »
I wouldn't trust suction cups either. I have things fixed onto tiles in the kitchen with suckers and they do fall off. I would only use those tubes that can be fitted into the fluorescent tube sockets (either those with plastic pins as part of the tube or those with detachable end caps) or that use screw on clips.
My 50 litre tank has the fluorescent tube sockets built into the lid so I used the end caps on that LED tube. If I ever put some in my 180, the lid is made differently. The current tubes are held in place with clips screwed to the reflectors and the reflectors are screwed into the lid. The sockets are not supported, the tube hold them up. With this set up I would use the clips that came with the LED and screw them into the holes where the reflectors are now fitted.

It was funny with the leaky one, no shocks whatsoever. I emailed the company and they sent me a new one. They said that the individual LEDs were sealed but they didn't mention if the cable was sealed. And they didn't explain why two of the six LEDs stopped working. You'll find the story here.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 02:12:02 PM »
Search google for "led t8 tube" and you'll find millions of them. I had a quick look and came up with the following ranging in price from £3.95 to £23.99. You can expect to pay about a fiver for delivery.
These items will usually require some rewiring to get them to work, but it is really simple. If you can wire a plug, you won't have any problems.
Sorry I couldn't get the best wizard option, but as I said there are a trillion and one alternatives.
Here are some links.
First option !
or Amazon
or eBay
and lastly!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 02:21:33 PM »
The thing that put me off those is that they need wiring to a new ballast. If you are going to fit a new ballast into the lid, you may as well fit a fluorescent one.
And I'd be scared of doing it wrong. Wiring a plug, yes easy. But a ballast, and then waterproofing the lid again? That's why I wanted an LED that had it's own ballast wired into the cable. It's the making the whole thing waterproof again that scares me.

Now you are going to tell me that the ballast can be external!

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 04:45:28 PM »
That looks a lot simpler than I had initially imagined.
I'm sure the balast could be installed outside the hood as long as it's housed in something non conductive and sealed. But I'm no sparky so could be very wrong. From what I can see you completely bypass the balast all together with wiring the LED.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 04:51:58 PM »
Why would a tube using LEDs need a ballast?

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 05:31:20 PM »
I'm not sure ballast is the correct technical term but it is what the instructions with the LED on my 50 litre tank call it.

I have 2 LED lights. The 25 litre Aqua One aqua space came with a clip on LED. The wire from that goes into a large plug which is labelled AC/DC adaptor. The new one on the 50 litre has a wire coming out of the light which plugs into a box, and a wire from the other end of the box has a standard 13 amp plug on the end.On top of that box is written AC adaptor. The instructions with the latter call it the LED unit in point 9, and say it can get warm (it does). Point 10 says "if overpowered the ballast can be replaced".
Given that the 50 litre's LED is made by a Dutch company, that could be just translation error.

From my research, some LEDs made for aquariums to replace T8s can use electricity flowing through a fluorescent magnetic ballast, but not through an electronic one (eg Arcadia classica LED T8) but most others use their own power supply with adaptor.

Steve has found that LED tubes made for general use are cheaper but most have to be wired in some way I'm not competent to do.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 06:05:13 PM »
The LEDs in question CAN use an existing magnetic ballast, they do not have to use it.

As I said, it's as technical as wiring a plug. They come with complete instructions; and sealing the hood after involves putting it back with a squidge of sealant at worst. Mine has a rubber gasket and just clips back in!

Some of them totally bypass all this and use the same sort of method as Arcadia. Just shop around.

The light output of these tubes isn't stellar, but it is about comparable to a similar length T8 tube. If your light fitting has broken, as had the OP's light fitting, I don't see it makes sense not to try; At £3.95, can you really go wrong?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 07:08:40 PM »
My very first tank would have been very easy to wire like this. The 50 litre is totally sealed. No screws, no rubber gasket. Just like replacing the ballast on a Juewl Rio I would have to cut the thing apart with a Dremel then find some way of resealing it. It's that very last bit I'm nervous of given my lack of ability using a silicone gun  :-[

But anyone who is good at DIY like this should give it a go.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2015, 08:07:34 AM »
Thank you all very much, your contributions have really given me excellent help in finding the right bulb and the  confidence that it isn't going to be to difficult to rewire the hood. ;D

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: