Temperature Variation

Author Topic: Temperature variation  (Read 5981 times) 6 replies

Offline Adrian G

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Temperature variation
« on: June 25, 2015, 12:37:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've got an accurate digital thermometer for my new tank - 190l trigon - which is showing the temperature varying by up to 1.5 degrees. I've only ever used the adhesive strip thermometers previously which are nowhere near as accurate so is this much variation normal? I'm using the standard juwel 200W heater supplied with the tank mounted in the filter box as per the instructions

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Temperature variation
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:58:33 PM »
That's a great question!

I have the same thing. I have a digital thermometer and the standard supplied 200W heater.

I've noticed that in the morning after the lights have been off for 12 hours or so I'm seeing the temps down by approx 1.5 degrees C compared to when the lights have been on for a significant period.

I'm leaning towards thinking that in nature the temperature would fluctuate naturally but only over fairly long periods, as is what seems to happen in my tank.

I'm guessing that if the temperature were to change by a degree or two over the course of a couple of minutes then the fish would be shocked by this but with gradual changes they're OK.

Anyway, I'm thinking aloud.

I'm looking forward to an expert's opinion.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
Not answering your question as such but could the varying temperature be caused by the weather as it's summer and therefore the temperature is going up higher than the rest of the year? My plastic, non-digital thermometer (the sort that sticks on with a suction cup) is showing that, late in the day in particular, the temperature is up a few degrees higher than the 24'C to which the heater is set (and the heater hardly comes on at all during the day because of the warmer weather).

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 02:50:11 PM »
All sorts of things contribute to the temp of the tank.
The heater runs on a thermostat and switches on and off to maintain temperature by a feedback mechanism. It cannot maintain the temp to within a fraction of a degree and probably only to within a couple of degrees or the element would be switching on and off every few seconds.
The water will be warmer when the light is on as that warms the air above the water. The heater will be on less often as the lights warm the water. Then when the lights go off, the temp will drop until the heater turns back on.
The weather also affects the temp. Not so much in winter as the heater keeps the water warm but in summer the temp can rise above the setting on the heater. In a heatwave, we do save on electricity but can have problems if the water gets too warm.

In nature, other things affect the water temp.
Night time is cooler than daytime.
Clouds covering the sun will cause the temp to drop.
Melt water from mountains in spring can drop the temp of a river by several degrees - something used by cory breeders who do water changes with cold water to simulate this and stimulate cory breeding.

As Simon says, it is only a problem if the temp varies a lot over a very short period. A couple of degrees over several hours is not a problem.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 02:56:57 PM »
When doing a water change, I notice the temperature will drop by a degree or so : my fresh water goes in gradually over the space of a few minutes, as it's siphoning in.
I take it that's not a problem?

I think in the Winter I will need to pre-heat the fresh water that I'll be putting into the tank.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 03:05:03 PM »
A lot of people with large tanks use a hose pipe to empty and refill, and use cold tap water when refilling. As long as this is added slowly it is fine. I don't heat my bucket water to the same as the tank, but I do add boiling water from a kettle to warm it a bit as I add it quickly.
If you have a combi boiler, you can use hot tapwater; if you have the type of set up with a hot water cylinder and a header tank in the attic, use a kettle. This isn't because of copper dissolving from the hot tank but because of things that could be in the header tank.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »
Hello All,

I have the same temperature problem with my Juwel Rio 125. When the lights are on, the temperature rises, and then falls at night. I have deliberately turned the thermostat right down, and I never see the neon light on. The temperature never drops below 25 deg C. This tank has two ports in the lid. One is for an automatic feeder, and the other for feeding (I think). Even with both the covers removed to provide more ventilation, the problem persists. Possibly it's just poor design. I will await cooler winter nights with interest ....... or perhaps not! My shrimpery is operating quite satisfactorily at 23-24 deg C in the same room.

Skittler

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Temperature variation"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 01:55:22 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2014, 12:42:24 PM
by Aquamaid
8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 09:00:12 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2016, 07:45:10 AM
by ColinB
16 Replies
Last post April 16, 2018, 10:44:15 PM
by daveyng
8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 02:07:30 PM
by Cinders
1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2021, 07:00:11 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: