Suction Cups Won't Stick To Inside Walls Of Tank

Author Topic: Suction cups won't stick to inside walls of tank  (Read 4220 times) 6 replies

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
Suction cups won't stick to inside walls of tank
« on: August 02, 2020, 06:05:42 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So, I've never had a problem with getting those black rubber suction cups to stick to the inside of the tank before, but over the past month, they keep coming unstuck and floating off around the tank.

I've checked old threads here about the cups sometimes getting stiff, but the cups don't seem stiff to me. I had to buy a new thermometer about six weeks back, and that came brand new with a new cup and that's worse than some of the three-year old cups on my filter, and it feels very flexible to the touch.

I saw on another thread about giving the tank a really good clean, and also about making the seal between a dry bit of glass and a dry cup. Well, this weekend I've given the tank a serious scrubbing in the areas where the filter and thermometer sit, using an old plastic scraper. This hasn't helped either.

I haven't moved the tank (or house), or changed anything I use in almost nine months, either. It's the same water, with the same de-chlorinator and so on, so I can't think of anything there that would cause it.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix it? The filter's currently being propped up in place by two of four working cups and supported by a plastic plant, while I've given up on the thermometer and left it to float around the tank as it wants.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Suction cups won't stick to inside walls of tank
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 06:24:44 PM »
Have you tried soaking the suction cups in hot water? Sometimes that helps.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 06:32:42 PM »
I had to buy a new thermometer about six weeks back, and that came brand new with a new cup and that's worse than some of the three-year old cups on my filter, and it feels very flexible to the touch.
I agree - I've never succeeded in managing to get the thermometer to stay stuck to the glass. I've ended up having to dangle it from a fish feeding ring (that I use to contain floating plants) until I check its temperature, then remove it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 07:27:04 PM »
Thermometer suckers never last long for me that's why mine are all floating.

I do find that giving the glass a scrub with one of those magnetic algae scrapers helps, but that doesn't work when the suckers get old. I know you said yours are still supple, but I find they come off easier as they age.

This is one reason I like Eheim heaters and internal filters - new suckers are easy to buy. But removing old suckers is not always easy, hence my trip to A&E a few months ago (the Stanley knife I was using to cut them off slipped).

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 08:42:43 PM »
Have you tried soaking the suction cups in hot water? Sometimes that helps.

I tried this, but it didn't seem to make any difference. The cups felt more flexible, but the moment I put them back into my tank, they cooled down and firmed up again.

I'll just give up and order some more suction cups then, thanks!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »
Busy focusing on something else entirely but this popped into my head while doing so:

Another alternative, to hold the filter up, is a terracotta pot like these https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/286832497/small-vintage-style-mini-terracotta?ref=related-3&frs=1 .  I keep spare filter media inside these, but a 7cm diameter x 5.5 cm height x 4cm base one happens to sit perfectly underneath my filter and props it up.

I also use magnets inside my filter to keep it attached to the glass for an entirely different reason (fish/snails getting in behind the corner filter as it floated out), so that might be an additional alternative for you - cf https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tanks-and-equipment/jbl-i80-cristalprofi-greenline-filter-how-to-address-its-'floating'-problem/msg48201/#msg48201 for detail.

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 10:15:55 PM »
Thanks fcmf for the ideas. I've found the right suction cups for my filter online and they're cheaper than the magnets, so I'll give them a go. If it's just that my last set are now old and decrepit then hopefully this will work, but if not, then I'll give the magnets a try instead.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Suction cups won't stick to inside walls of tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:51:23 AM
by ColinB
9 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 07:43:10 AM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
7 Replies
Last post February 11, 2015, 01:26:55 PM
by Dominika
26 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 04:25:06 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 08:05:43 PM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2021, 10:58:23 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: