Author Topic: Seneye  (Read 6984 times) 18 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Seneye
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Does anyone on here use a Seneye?

I was gifted the basic one a few years ago, but it was one of the things that fell by the wayside when my tank was neglected.

Along with everything else, I'm now trying to get it going again and noticed that things have moved on quite a bit. I'm wondering whether all / any of the available upgrades are worth it. (Looking at the shop, it seems it could be a bit of a money sink)

I wondered what other people think of it.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Seneye
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »
Id normally say money sink... depends how 'into' computers/data you are. 

But... you've had the main capital outlay done for you so really it's a case of what can it do which your using your test kit for currently and what extras does it provide and how useful are they.  For example i think one of this thinga it monitors is water level... how likely is this going to be a problem I'm most tanks... they are either full of water or the waters all over the floor.  Evaporation isnt a problem inbetween weekly water changes.

If you continue this thought process with the other parameters... you'll find your answer!!

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:08:43 PM »
I knew I had seen comments about Seneye on here before - you'll find them if you do a quick search - but this review might be the most helpful one: https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/tank-equipment-reviews/review-of-seneye-home/msg20383/#msg20383

I'm afraid I have no experience of it whatsoever.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:10:06 PM »
Thank you fcfm for the link. I did do a search before posting. I now don't know what I actually did because I didn't find that review.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 10:38:28 PM »
So I got some more slides and have set up my Seneye again. Now I've got a couple days data, in trying to work out what it is telling me!

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »
Could you post some screenshots??

Happy to help understand the data... also kinda interested in seeing it in action anyway!

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 07:45:01 AM »
Hi @Matt

I decided that my queries were more related to water chemistry, so posted here

https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-advice/water-chemistry-according-to-my-seneye/msg36127/#msg36127

Screen shots are a bit beyond me at the moment, as i'm on think fish on my phone and the Seneye software is on my laptop.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:59:42 PM »
Here is a photo of my tank parameters within the Seneye 'dashboard'. The 4 graphs on the left are all for the last 3 days. I've had to crop the picture quite heavily to make it small enough to upload. So the top three graphs are: temperature, pH and Free Ammonia (ppm)h

The craziness is because I've been reducing the level of my substrate, and so have ended up doing 2 X 100l water changes over the weekend. I decided that this kind of drastic water change should be ok, because my previous water changes didn't show up, so my tank water must be close to my tap water. And although the Seneye doesn't give a hardness measure, my tap water is described by my supplier as very soft.

What I find interesting is that the ammonium has gone up significantly, after the addition of new water.

@Sue, you said elsewhere that nitrate is a plant's second choice nitrogen source. Is it ammonia or ammonium that is the first choice? I can see that the ammonium seems to inversely track the pH, and I know I've read that the pH affects the ammonia: ammonium ratio. Annoyingly, I can't change the scale of the X axis, so can't see the trend for ammonia.

Could the pH changes have anything to do with the amount of CO2 in the water? Because it doesn't really seem to relate to when I added new water. The lowest dip was 6am - 8am today.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:56 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I can't actually remember whether plants take up ammonia or ammonium  :-[ but it doesn't really matter. Because ammonia and ammonium are in an equilibrium (pH and temp determining how much is in which form), if the plants use one of them, the equilibrium restores the balance. It's the same for the filter bacteria which only use ammonia.
[Think of it like old fashioned balance scales with a pan on each side. Add some beads to each pan so that the pans are equally balanced. Then take a few beads out of the left pan. To keep the pans level some beads have to be moved over from the right pan. Then take some more from the left, and more have to be moved over from the right pan. And with the ammonia/ammonium analogy, beads are also being added to each pan as the fish excrete ammonia so the pans are never completely emptied]

pH does vary with the time of day, particularly when there are plants in the tank.
Animals and plants respire. They take in oxygen and they release carbon dioxide. They do this 24/7.
Plants photosynthesise. They take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen. But they only do this when it is light.

The net effect is that during the day the plants take in more carbon dioxide that is being released by the animals and plants, but at night more carbon dioxide is released than is taken in by the plants. There is more carbon dioxide in the water at night. Carbon dioxide dissolves in water to make carbonic acid. Therefore the water is more acidic at night and the pH is lower at night. The amount of carbon dioxide will build up during darkness so the pH will be lowest just before it gets light. As soon as it gets light (daylight or tank lights) the plants start photosynthesising, take up all the accumulated carbon dioxide and the pH rises.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 09:05:05 PM »
@Helen Unrelated to the Seneye but if it helps, press and hold Ctrl then hit Print screen and you have a screen grab. Hold Alt at the same time and you grab just the active program window. You can paste it into another program with a Ctrl v
Happy grabbing :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 09:10:45 PM »
Ha ha. Thanks @Andy The Minion . My issue is more about which device has which information. My Seneye page is best viewed on my laptop, but I access this forum from my phone. I contemplated emailing a screenshot, but was too lazy and decided that just taking a photo would be easier.  :-[

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
@Andy The Minion  you'll be pleased to see that I've managed to coordinate my devices.

For those that are interested, here is a snapshot of my pH over about a week (might be 5 days).

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 09:31:11 AM »
Slightly out of context of where this conversation has gone, but this a comment about how I think the Seneye works, from another conversation.

There is the ability to 'trim' the Seneye readings, but I don't know about calibrating. I don't know how I would start doing that. But, the slides only last about 30 days and then need replacing. It is the slides that contain the pH and ammonia tests. From what I can see (without destructive investigation!) the ammonia and pH are like test strips with an optical reader.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 11:27:42 PM »
My ammonia has been showing as 0.030 since I last changed the slide in my Seneye, which was 5 days ago. But it's been pretty constant, not increasing or fluctuating. But something is a bit strange. With getting sorted for Christmas, I forgot to change the slide. So I don't seem to have any readings between the 10 December and 27th. The slide is supposed to soak in the tank for 24hrs. Because I didn't have any readings, I didn't give it that time soaking. I wonder if this is how it calibrates. And because it didn't soak long enough, it hasn't calibrated correctly.

Anyway, today I've done a 40l and a 45l water changes, so I'll give it overnight to balance out and see what difference the water changes have made to the readings.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »
Not sure about the need for a pre soak being needed but your reading seems fine (I thought you ask something similar a month or two ago) 0.03 with your pH of 7.7 and water temperature of 24.7C gives a NH3 of 0.00081ppm and the limit is usually as below 0.02ppm The Ammonia = zero doesn't apply to the higher resolution your sensor gives. If you are still concerned about the accuracy of the reading, what about removing the slide and forcing a recalibration now?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 06:44:50 PM »
Thank you @Andy The Minion , you've definitely given me food for thought.

I was /am worrying about the Ammonia because I got the impression that the Seneye reading is NH3 and in ppm. Therefore at 0.03ppm, it's a bit high. (I think on my earlier post I was querying 0.016ppm?)

I'm quite sure how to recalibrate without using another slide, but I will definitely investigate.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 08:16:24 PM »
Thank you so much @Andy The Minion for your calculations.

I've reviewed the information on the Seneye website about ammonia and I've been cross referencing the information with the results chart of liquid test that I had previously used.

I think what happened is that the Seneye information is a little different to most about ammonia. And then I read the chart wrong on the nutrafin booklet and got myself in a pickle.

I think the apparent increase in NH3 as showed by my Seneye is because my pH is doing something a bit strange (though I've still not got to the bottom of whether this is genuine or as a result of my Seneye drifting / calibration).

The NH3 reading of 0.03ppm is stable and not increasing. So I'm stopping worrying.

Attached are the two charts I've been using, so hopefully others can make use of this conversation.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 09:17:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
@Helen Okay that's good! The interesting thing is where the NH3 is coming from, looking at your tank picture you have a high plant to fish ratio... and its a big tank. I would expect the plants to be gobbling it up as fast as the fish can produce it. Anyway its safe and maybe just a result of the ongoing civil engineering project in the tank. It could be that it will fall naturally as things settle down over the next couple of months.
The tanks looking both natural and tidy, well done :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 12:01:14 AM »
Yes, I do have a lot of plants. I would estimate at least 75% substrate coverage. And with the reduction in substrate and consequential increase in water volume, my current stock level is 18%, according to the community creator. I would expect the number of plants I have to enable me to push the boundaries of stock levels. But I'll use my Seneye and other water parameters to see how much that is the case, when I get there.

What is interesting to me is how much bigger the tank seems, all of a sudden. By reducing the substrate under my giant piece of bogwood, it has moved down in the tank by perhaps nearly 10cm. Which suddenly gives a large space above it. At the height it was previously, it felt like it filled the tank and now it doesn't. I might have to think about some floating plants to fill the space...  :o

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Seneye"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2015, 09:06:38 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2015, 07:44:10 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post October 20, 2015, 11:41:53 AM
by Extreme_One
22 Replies
Last post January 08, 2019, 12:29:41 AM
by Helen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: