Stick-on LCD Thermometer.

Author Topic: Stick-on LCD thermometer.  (Read 5775 times) 9 replies

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Stick-on LCD thermometer.
« on: April 08, 2013, 09:56:47 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've had a stick-on LCD (thermochromic) style thermometer since my tank was up and running, and I've always been dubious about it's accuracy. I've recently noticed in the cold weather that the tank temp would be two deg down in the morning, and on Saturday, when it became really hot while we were out and the lounge had heated up, I noticed the tank temp had gone up by a degree. So I put the usual alcohol-in-glass style from my isolation tank in the main tank and that's kept a nice stable 24oC for the past couple of days.

I'm sure that the Thermochromic thermometer is influence by the room temp as it's stuck on the outside of the tank. I've binned mine and now I have an excuse to go to the LFS again. :)

Anybody else noticed this, care to experiment, or just a heads-up to keep an eye out. This would explain why, in those few really hot days we had last summer, I thought my fish were going to poach. They were fine.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

Re: Stick-on LCD thermometer.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »
Hmm I really hope my stick on one works OK as that's what I've been basing my heater still working on! It's been stable for quite a while, however I've always been a little sceptical about it... but I prefer the look of these, especially mine as it's quite small, to the ones inside tanks! Hmm

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 10:56:55 AM »
Hmm I really hope my stick on one works OK as that's what I've been basing my heater still working on! It's been stable for quite a while, however I've always been a little sceptical about it... but I prefer the look of these, especially mine as it's quite small, to the ones inside tanks! Hmm

I know what you mean, they do look better than the glass ones. However, my tank has a built in compartment along the back of the tank for the filter media, pump and heater, and my thermometer will suction-pad inside that so it can't be seen inside the tank, but can be seen on my 'check-the-pump-is-still-working' glances.

Nifty, eh?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

TigzFish

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:29:19 AM »
I have a stick on guage for my 180ltr, supplied with the tank, that shows the same temperature at the dial on the heater.  I bought in a spare internal glass thermometer (same manufacturer 'Marina') and shows 1.5o degrees more.  I brought across my internal glass thermometer from my 64ltr and that showed 0.5o degrees more than the stick-on.

I've also been to a LFS and grabbed a bunch of the same glass thermometers from the display and looked at them side-by-side.  Most of them showed different temperatures, but no more than 2o from highest to lowest.

I have been considering getting a medical thermometer instead, which will (should) be more accurate.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »
Will a medical thermometer have the right temp region for a tank? Mine only start at 35 deg.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »
I've got an infra-red pyrometer 'gun' which agrees with my glass thermometer, but I will be getting another glass one this week. I'm not too bothered if the tank's a degree or two different from what the thermometer indicates, but I do want any changes to the thermometer to accurately reflect the changes in the tank's water and not be influenced by the room temp.

...and Dave, you'll never get a medical thermometer up a fish's :-X oops, wrong forum ;D ;D

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »
Fish in the wild do not live in an environment whose temperature is always at 24.34872oC.  The temperature varies according to all sorts of parameters.  For this reason, I believe, it isn't important if your thermometer is desperately accurate.  It's purpose is to highlight the changes in temperature of your tank so that you can tell if the thermostat on your heater is broken and your fish are being boiled alive or if your heater has broken and they are in danger of becoming Birds-Eye!

It's fairly obvious to me that a thermometer that is in contact with the water in your tank is going to do a better job than one that is stuck on the outside, but apart from that...  Chill.  ::)

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 01:29:58 PM »
Fish in the wild do not live in an environment whose temperature is always at 24.34872oC.  The temperature varies according to all sorts of parameters.  For this reason, I believe, it isn't important if your thermometer is desperately accurate.  It's purpose is to highlight the changes in temperature of your tank so that you can tell if the thermostat on your heater is broken and your fish are being boiled alive or if your heater has broken and they are in danger of becoming Birds-Eye!

It's fairly obvious to me that a thermometer that is in contact with the water in your tank is going to do a better job than one that is stuck on the outside, but apart from that...  Chill.  ::)

I agree entirely. However; my thermometer on the outside of the tank led me to believe that the water was getting dangerously hot in the middle of summer, whereas it was a false reading. Although the fish remained unstressed, I didn't, and so I think it's worth replacing it with one that won't do that.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »
I got one of the stick on ones with my new set up and I am not convinced by it although its not crucial just yet as I'm just preparing a fishless cycle but think I will buy an internal one for when I am up and running

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 07:43:10 AM »
Good idea - you could try running them both for a while to see what happens, especially through the glorious summer months that must be just around the corner!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stick-on LCD thermometer."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post November 17, 2015, 05:43:00 PM
by Sanjo
12 Replies
Last post September 16, 2019, 03:19:48 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2019, 11:40:53 AM
by Fishwife
6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2020, 10:15:55 PM
by Fishbeard
2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2021, 10:58:23 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: