Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Siphons with automatic starts
« on: January 30, 2016, 02:11:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi folks,

The mouthful of water has occurred one time too many, usually caused by a distraction when starting off the siphoning process. I know, from other posts on this forum, that there is an alternative of filling the tube up with water completely before starting off the process, but I've never found that particularly easy to do. There seems to be another system of connecting to the tap which is not really suitable for the location of my tank.

Instead, I'm thinking of buying something where you squeeze a pump to start off the siphoning process - something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017VZI6JI?psc=1 .  Has anyone got anything like this / had any experience of these?

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Siphons with automatic starts
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 02:24:57 PM »
Hi Fcmf

I've had 2 similar syphons. 

The first I bought from p@h and it didn't work.  It wasn't sealed properly so didn't have the suction required - I took it back and they gave me my money back no quibbles.

The second I bought from MA and it worked great.  The longer tubing was concertinaed making it flexible and easy to move in, out and around the tank.

I have never used the syphon which is just a tube as I had doubts about my abilities and didn't want them confirming with a mouth full of tank water. :sick:

Because of the issues with the first one I bought I would recommend buying one from somewhere it is easy to take it back to if necessary.

Anne

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 02:36:31 PM »
Anne, do you mean this? I tried one once. The downside for me was the grill at the end of the bit that goes in the tank. I had fine gravel at the time and the grill was designed for those rocks on the bottom of the biorbs. I got gravel stuck in the grill. It would have been fine if I'd had standard sized gravel.

Other than the gravel issue, it worked fine.

fcmf - do you have problems with the kind that you shake up and down in the tank to start the siphon? That's the kind I used with gravel. I use wine making siphon tubing now I have sand as I find that picks the mess up better than hovering a wide tube over that sand. And no I don't suck it to start the siphon, I fill the tube with tapwater first. That is easy to to do with just a piece of tubing, no wide section on the end.

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
 :sick: This sounds ghastly!  Can you not use two pipes and blow like this chap?

#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
I use one similar to the one in the OP but only spent about £2 on it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Siphon-Vacuum-Gravel-Cleaner-Aquarium/dp/B00AAWO3TW

It works perfectly and its so easy even my four year old can do it.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 07:02:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Yes Sue that's the type I have, though I think it's a generic brand as it didn't have anything about being for a biorb on its packaging.

I did unscrew the grill at the and it worked fine with my sand.

Anne

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »
I can't remember whether mine unscrewed, it's a few years ago now. Maybe they changed the design since then or i would just have unscrewed mine  ???

Offline fcmf

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 07:14:27 PM »
All very helpful suggestions/tips, etc.; many thanks indeed, everyone.

do you have problems with the kind that you shake up and down in the tank to start the siphon?
I wasn't aware that there was such a thing. Anything which is likely to cause water to splash out probably isn't a wise idea (as I somehow seem to end up with it over the floor, splashes on the wall, etc.) - I'm assuming there is quite a likelihood of this happening with such a siphon?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 07:45:22 PM »
I managed to use them without problem for years and I am well known for being messy.

This is the type I used. It is a bit tricky to see from the photo but there is a wide see-through cylinder at one end and narrow tubing attached to it via a blue plastic cap which you can just see sticking out of the packaging in the photo in the link. The blue thing has a one way valve inside. All you do is assemble it by attaching the tubing to the narrow end of the blue connector, put the tubing end in the bucket and the wide end in the tank, then move the wide end up and down quickly a few times. This pushes waster up the cylinder and past the blue connector but it can't fall back because of the valve. Once enough water has been pushed through so that the level is below the water surface in the tank, it starts to flow by itself.
If you were to get one of these I suggest you practice with a bucket of water on a stool outdoors first.

But be careful - some cheap makes don't have a one way valve in the blue bit. You still have to suck those.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 08:18:06 PM »
Oh wow - that's the very one I had for 12+ years for my goldfish but which somehow developed a chip in it and stopped working just after starting tropical fishkeeping. I think I have a vague recollection of trying that technique with it but having no luck, although I don't recollect seeing a one-way valve in it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 08:24:53 PM »
I had a couple without the valve back in the late 1990s. As soon I as discovered the ones with the valve I always made sure when I bought a new one. Looking on-line, some types now make reference to a ball valve but the ones I had used a flap inside the neck of the blue bit - as soon as the water started to flow back towards the tank it pushed the flap shut. They rattled when shaken out of water, the simplest way to check if they were the valve type.
They did need replacing every so often because the neck of the blue bit eventually cracked at the junction and they became useless.

There is a technique for starting the valve type, which is why I suggested practicing with a bucket.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 07:59:31 PM »
I just coil up the hose, lower it into the water so all the air comes out, block the end with my thumb, aim at the bucket, take my thumb off and the water flows  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Siphons with automatic starts"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post May 15, 2016, 10:37:19 PM
by Matt
15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2016, 09:34:44 AM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post November 21, 2020, 10:15:05 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: