Silly Questions About My Filter

Author Topic: Silly Questions about my Filter  (Read 5961 times) 6 replies

Offline ID2

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Silly Questions about my Filter
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:16:02 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I need to ask some basic but confusing (to me) questions about my filter and I suppose filters in general.

Basically, as silly as this may sound, whats in my filter? I have a Fluval U2
What is media?
What is carbon?
What is carbon media?

I always thought the cartridge with the stones in was 'media', the sponges were just filter sponges to filter any gunk etc and carbon is something that is added to the filter to remove medication etc.

I know this is basic stuff and I should already know, but I am still a little confused  :-[

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Silly Questions about my Filter
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:58:29 AM »
You probably know all this, but for other people reading it -

The Fluval U series filters have four types of media.

The box in the centre contains biomax - white noodles. This is the main biological medium.
The box also contains a 'clean and clear' cartridge which is supposed to remove phosphate and nitrate. More on this below.
The sponges on either side of this box are both biological and mechanical media - they trap bits and the bacteria grow in them.
In between are poly carbon pads. These are a layer of filter wool and a carbon impregnated pad stuck together. They will act as a less efficient biomedium, a mechanical medium and a chemical medium.

The instructions say to replace one poly carbon pad and the clean and clear cartridge every month; and one sponge and half the biomax every six months. Don't.

The biomax (noodles) will last for years. Change half of them when they start to crumble, and the other half a month later. Just swoosh them in old tank water during a water change to remove the goo.
Sponges will also last for years. Replace them (one at a time) when they go into holes or won't go back to shape after squeezing. Just wash them by squeezing in old tank water.

Carbon removes organic chemicals in the water. It gets full and stops working so needs to be replaced regularly. But carbon is not necessary except for a few special occasions. It removes medication after treatment has finished; it removes the brown that leaches out of wood; and it removes any odd odours the tank may develop. You don't actually need to use carbon (you already know this  :) ). I haven't used any routinely for years. I do keep some in the cupboard in case I do need to use it.
You have a choice. Either just leave the pads in there and wash them; or replace them with plain filter wool, which does catch fine bits that go through the sponges. Filter wool can be replaced when it gets messy as it doesn't wash well. You can buy filter wool by the metre and use a pad as a template to cut it to size. Because it is replaced regularly and it doesn't make a good home for the bacteria, there will be very few bacteria on the filter wool when it is thrown away.
The main reason filter manufacturers use carbon is because it used to be the only filter medium back decades ago and for some reason these companies still want to use it. Maybe they are stuck in a time warp, or maybe they think their customers are.

'Clean and clear' cartridge. I must confess I'd not come across this until I just looked at the U manual. I thought the central box had just biomax inside.
It is supposed to remove phosphate and nitrate. Very few of these nitrate removing media actually work. And you only need to remove phosphate if your tap water has more than the recommended level as it promotes the growth of algae.
If this was my tank, since I don't have high phosphate, I would take out this cartridge and put more biomax in its place. Or even a plain sponge - if the other sponges are fine sponges (small holes) I'd get a coarse sponge, or vice versa. Sponges are a very good biomedium.

I also have a small cheap filter and a mesh bag in the cupboard. Should I need to use carbon, I use granules in the bag inside this filter. And if I did have high phosphate, I'd probably use a small filter for phosphate removing media as well.

Offline Wil7985

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:38:40 AM »
Wow, what a great answer, I have learnt alot there, thanks for taking the time to post that :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Neon Tetra (4) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Tiger Barb (4) - Rosy Barb (5) - Black Molly (2) - Swordtail (female) (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 12:15:23 PM »
Thank you  :)

The main message about filters is that you need something to catch bits (mechanical media - usually sponge) and something for the bacteria to live in (biomedia - usually sponge and/or ceramic media). And to ignore the instructions that say to replace them on a regular basis.

Carbon is not needed, and ammonia removing media such as zeolite are not a good idea. The problem with this is that so many of the mini filters have nothing but a cartridge containing carbon, and sometimes zeolite as well  :(

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »
I have followed the advice from @Sue since reading a similar explanation not long after joining the forum.
My oldest filter, which the manufacturer says to change the filter cartridge every month, has had the same cartridge for a year, and the only thing I did was remove the carbon in the centre of the sponge, and replace it with noodles. I have done this in all of my general use filters, and the only time I replace any media is when I take some out to seed another filter.
My weekly tank water test readings are always 0, 0, 40 (same as tap) and I can't even begin to imagine how much money I would have spent on replacement cartridges had I followed the manufacturers instructions, or the amount of stress I would have put my fish and axolotls through had I basically had to cycle their tanks every month when changing cartridges :o

Thanks Sue - I don't think I can say that the savings have paid for the Aqua Oaks, but rinsing instead of replacing the cartridges absolutely covers the cost of at least 2 of my Fluval Romas.  :cheers:

Offline ID2

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 04:34:53 PM »
Thanks very much for the replies!   :D

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 07:36:40 PM »
after returning to fish keeping recently and joining this forum ,have done exactly what sue advises , gone with sponge filter removed carbon an added extra biomax, also added more biomax under one of the hollow ornaments in the tank. in my previous fishkeeping ,used all the media replacing regularly ,cost a fortune, no good results, so thanks sue and co

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Silly Questions about my Filter"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post November 01, 2012, 05:56:58 PM
by Mervyn
2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2013, 03:31:21 PM
by Billy
43 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 08:46:21 AM
by ColinB
some questions

Started by george « 1 2 ... 10 11 » New Fishkeepers

211 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 11:40:38 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post January 27, 2015, 06:22:33 PM
by Andy1987
5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 10:25:42 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 09:14:37 PM
by ID2

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: