Scratch Removel

Author Topic: Scratch removel  (Read 3195 times) 2 replies

Offline Charles K

Scratch removel
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I just bought a juwel vision cheap with some quite deep scratches on the inside!
Any tips advice in how to remove? Would it be better to take the tank apart?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Scratch removel
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »
Shallow scatches can be removed with toothpaste or the rouge used by glass makers, but I'm not sure anything would touch deep scratches.

Where exactly are the scatches? The trouble with taking Juwel tanks apart is the trim. I think the vision is like my rio with the integrated trim and bracer bar. If you are good at DIY you might be able to get the trim off and repalce it but I wouldn't like to use a big tank without a bracer bar.

I have a nasty scratch on the front of my rio - sand in the magnetic algae scraper  :( - but I've learned to live with it.

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Scratch removel
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:15:18 PM »
To cope with deep scratches in glass there are two approaches; I am unsure as to the aquarium saftey of either of these so, research, research...

1) As Sue says, you can regrind the surface using grinding paste. You would have to treat quite a large area to prevent weird optical effects. This would really be a massive DIY task. You may be able to find someone to do it professionally, but it would cost.
2) A more modern option is to treat it in the same way that chips are treated on your car windscreen. This involves filling the glass with a transparent resin and then polishing that level with your glass. This is still a big job.

Probably the only solution that makes sense for a DIY job is to turn your tank round so that the scratch is at the back.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Scratch removel "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 08:41:59 AM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post February 14, 2016, 07:55:06 PM
by Extreme_One

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: