Author Topic: Rocks that alter ph ?  (Read 2354 times) 2 replies

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Rocks that alter ph ?
« on: November 12, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
Another question . I've seen all sorts of rock for sale but was told by the shop that some rocks alter ph . My ph is 7.6 . I obviously don't want that any higher so was worrying about buying rock . I Aldo have a betta so many rocks such as lava are too rough for him . I managed to buy pebbles from the bio orb range which are totally smooth . Does anyone know of any types of safe not rough stones that won't alter my ph ?
Ally

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Rocks that alter ph ?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »
The rocks that increase pH also increase hardness. It is usually rocks made from calcium carbonate that do this as they slowly dissolve putting both calcium (raises GH, which affects the pH) and carbonate (raises KH) into the water. Shells and coral are also made from calcium carbonate and do the same. The effect is more pronounced with low pH as calcium carbonate dissolves faster in acidic water.
Pebbles would be better, not just the small inch across ones but also large ones like tennis balls. Pebbles, as you know, are also smooth not rough which is important for bettas.
If you do choose a piece of rock from a shop, test it with vinegar. Just a few drops on the surface of the rock is fine. Watch for bubbles, even a few. If there are any, the rock is calcium carbonate, if there isn't a single bubble it's not and is safe to use.
The other way to test it is to put the rock in a tub of water, and also put another tub/glass of just water to stand next to it. Test the pH of both lots of water next day and again after a week, and compare the 'with rock' water to the 'without rock' water. If they are the same, it is safe to use the rock.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Rocks that alter ph ?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »
To give you an example product... try http://www.pettex.co.uk/Aquatic%20Rocks.html (available in P@H and on Amazon) their decorative stones in nets might well be the sort of thing you are after - they are not rough and so would not injure moonbeam...

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Rocks that alter ph ?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post March 15, 2017, 04:46:35 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2019, 09:21:46 AM
by Emmdee
0 Replies
Last post November 15, 2019, 09:22:44 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: