Rubber Suckers

Author Topic: Rubber suckers  (Read 7182 times) 8 replies

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Rubber suckers
« on: February 27, 2015, 07:27:03 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Do other people have the same issues that I do with the rubber suckers that attach filters to tank walls? Mine fall into two categories, either they attach so strongly that getting the filter out for maintenance is a trial of strength or, as they get older, they lose the will to hang on so that the filter just falls off. I've recently replaced one filter which kept falling off and now another has the same problem, it has four suckers but they have lost their flexibility and all grip. Unlike heaters, each manufacturer has their own sucker design and attachment to the filter so that they seem impossible to replace. More expensive makes seem no different from cheaper ones in this respect. I tend to call rubber suckers by a "sounds like" name .............
Maybe some people have found alternative attachment methods?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Rubber suckers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:51:56 AM »
I have this problem too, though mainly with heaters. Years ago, even Pets@Home sold replacement brackets that fit every type of heater; they are impossible to find nowadays even on-line. Luckily heaters are light enough to be held in place with the cable but filters are too heavy for that.

This is another advantage with Eheim and Jager. The replacement suckers are easily available.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 11:02:54 AM »
I have had a few heaters fail and keep the suckers which tend to all be pretty much the same size.
Otherwise I think the best answer is to buy heater guards that come complete with suckers, they are very cheap.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »
The suckers on my filter are the same Richard.
The only way to remove the filter is to carefully slide the whole thing upwards until the suckers are out of the compartment.
I don't have particularly large hands but I struggle to get enough purchase to push it upwards.
It is in the same compartment as the heater so with both things in the little hole I find it very difficult.
I have already broken my new heater by smacking it with the filter when trying to remove it.

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 10:22:29 PM »
Sue

Heater holder thingy on eBay:

Seller: biotopeaquatics

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »
I bought one like that a while ago. Royal Mail broke off one of the arms. Since it was just for the QT I didn't complain as it isn't used that often and it still works.

Once upon a time, you could buy brackets like the top section of this but that top section had two suckers in it so it could be used without the bottom section. Every shop sold them. When the suckers stopped working, you just bought a new top section and if you used the full heater guard you just clipped the new top into the old bottom.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »
My suckers either fasten themselves to the glass with a vice like grip and can only be pried off by me sliding a nail under them OR they just fall off...the clear plastic suckers seem to have the least grip

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 04:09:18 PM »
My problem exactly, but as I spend a lot of time gardening and fiddling about in ponds etc., I keep my nails too short to get under the sucker, sometimes have to use a knife.
I find the ones with several small soft suckers the best.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 10:03:54 PM »
My tank is on the slightly acidic side of neutral, so all the suckers I've had (except for those on my heater) have degraded over time. Soft ones get pitted and plastic ones go rigid. I have no idea why the heater ones have survived. Unless they're more hardy to cope with the heat.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Rubber suckers"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2016, 02:35:36 PM
by rosaleen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: