Canister Filter Recommendations

Author Topic: Canister Filter Recommendations  (Read 12883 times) 33 replies

Offline TopCookie

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
Re: Canister Filter Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 10:37:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Of those two Dave, I'd prefer the JBL by a mile...  I know the Fluval stuff has its fans, but I've read way too many reports of Fluval canisters being a bit leaky...  :(    Love that 1150 l/h figure though, that sounds ideal...!!!

At the moment, I still favour the Oase the most...  followed by the JBL & Eheim canister filters...  That, of course, is still "if" I go down this route (which I probably will actually, truth be told)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 02:10:30 AM »
Before you spend lots of money on a new canister filter, try googling filters for planted aquaria. I've been reading about the effects of live plants on stocking capacity and there was a lot of commentary on the role of a filter in a planted tank. In summary, in a planted tank, a filter provides mechanical filtration and water flow; the plants provide the biological and chemical filtration.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 06:31:43 AM »
I’ve always aimed for something approaching 10 times the capacity of the tank for circulation purposes. The JBL e1501, Fluval 306 and a Tunze Circulation pump pretty much approach that, allowing for losses. I do aim for a lot of surface water movement as well to minimise CO2 levels overnight.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 09:45:06 AM »
If I remember correctly, you inject CO2, @daveyng ? I think @TopCookie  may have a lower tech set up.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »
Yes, sorry forgot to mention that. I do inject CO2 so this probably cancels out the loss through the surface exchange.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 12:19:16 PM »
Yeah, Helen is on the money...  Definitely geared towards low tech as much as possible...

Interesting point on the 10x flow rate for filters...  I've seen this figure recommended many times in a variety of places... 

My set up is 170 litre tank and 850 l/h filter...  This equates to a 5x flow rate, which seems a little underpowered to me...  There is the surface skimmer which is rated at 300 l/h too but then with both running, there is a significant flow, perhaps edging towards too much even, just slightly... 

I can't imagine what a flow of 1,700 l/h would be like, but I suspect it would be too much flow in my set up... 

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Decision finally made...  I picked up the Eheim Pickup 60 from Wharf on Saturday...  Funny thing is, it was my intention to look at both the 45 and the 60 to compare physical sizes but ended up looking only at the 45...  Then bought the Pickup 60 on the grounds of larger filter capacity etc, without looking at it out of the box, got home and it is a LOT bigger than the diminutive Pickup 45...  Dashed back to Wharf yesterday and swapped the 60 back for a 45 which is now installed in the tank at the back left corner where you don't notice it so much... 

This has improved both the flow in the tank generally, but also is set only just beneath the surface and is giving me those all important ripples too... 

Now the APS Surface Skimmer is gone and the Seachem Phosguard no longer part of the equation...

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »
Gave the little Eheim filter a bit of a service today...  Couldn't be any easier...!!!  What a great little product and bargain priced, too...  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »
Good to know  :cheers:

Is your algae situation still improving?

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 10:28:50 AM »
Hard to be objective about it at the moment Matt, as I have cut several affected areas of the filamentous algae away and things look better for sure - but difficult to know if the new and temporarily high fertiliser routine is impacting or not tbh...  The plants certainly look to be enjoying this new regime at the mo and that was always the theory, to get the plants growing well again and out-competing the algae for nutrients etc...  I suspect it will take quite a while before seeing any major results with the algae... 

Total fertiliser dose is now 3ml a day, or 21ml per week...  I estimate my tank to hold about 150L of water so the TNC recommended dose should be around 15ml per week...  Once I get to the end of week two of this high dosing regime, I'll cut it back to 2ml per day so as to get back on target with what TNC recommend...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »
What is your water change regime?  You need to do 50% water changes weekly ideally when dosing like this.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 11:55:43 PM »
Broadly following the Diana Walstad method, I try to keep my water changing to a minimum - a conscious decision & plan from day 1...  I would say that my average is 10% per week... 

The Walstad thing is key here though, in that the sub-substrate is John Innes #3 and the whole low tech plan is that the mulm should "feed" the substrate, which is a high CEC rated choice... 

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »
I have to admit, you've got me thinking Matt and I ought to thank you for that...  I'm inclined to agree that the water changes should be a bit larger while "overdosing" on ferts... 

I did discuss that stuff with Adam, about the Walstad thing and low water changes, and he didn't seem phased by that at all nor did he advise me to increase them etc, but common sense definitely suggests upping my water change % during this overdosing period...  Point noted and will indeed implement your advice... 

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2018, 07:26:34 PM »
I realize that this thread was started almost eight months ago but I would like to add another suggestion. If the requirement is to increase circulation rather than filtration, why not add a circulation pump? In my 125 litre setup, I use a Eheim Ecco Pro 130 in conjunction with the Eheim streamON+ 2000, which can shift up to 2000l/h. Just a thought.

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Canister Filter Recommendations"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post February 03, 2014, 08:05:30 AM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post March 23, 2018, 02:33:19 PM
by Hampalong
9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2015, 11:58:19 AM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 12:45:25 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2016, 12:39:59 PM
by Matt
1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 08:51:06 AM
by Sue
26 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 07:19:42 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: