RO System

Author Topic: RO System  (Read 6273 times) 26 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Re: RO System
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 01:28:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thank you @jaypeecee I will definitely need your advice regarding these other water parameters. I have ordered a TDS reader, but the readings won't mean much to me, so your input will be invaluable  :)

Hi @fishtales

Just let me know when the RO water starts flowing...!

BTW, does your setup include a DI (de-ionizer) stage? It's not essential.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 04:08:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Exciting development! Good luck and keep us posted on how the instalment goes, etc.
 :cheers:

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 06:13:07 PM »
Hi @fishtales

So, the deed is done. Your setup sounds good. I think your decision to go with two membranes is excellent. Plus the DI stage. I seem to recall that someone is going to install it for you. I assume that you will do a test run before the actual installation? Do you already have the TDS meter? If so, I expect your tap water reading to be approximately 600 ppm. Have you done a KH test on your tap water? If so, what was the result?

I do hope everything goes well for you having been messed about by your water company.

I look forward to the progress reports.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 10:08:14 PM »
Hi @fishtales

Thanks for the TDS readings. I would suggest that the figure of 742 ppm doesn't quite tally with your GH and KH measurements. Based on these measurements, I would have estimated a TDS reading of 680 ppm. I believe you use the API GH and KH test kits - is that right? My experience with these two kits is that they can be trusted.

Hanna make some good water test instruments. My electronic thermometer is one of their products as is my conductivity meter. TDS meters are actually conductivity meters that convert the conductivity measurement into a TDS reading. I think some meters can give both conductivity and TDS readings. Best to stick with the devil you know.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 11:03:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thank goodness I at least have the liquid tests to give accurate hard water results. I don't understand anything about KH results at all, so was surprised it was only 12. I assumed it would be higher because of my GH reading.

Hi @fishtales

I will explain KH tomorrow. If I do it now, I may fall asleep mid-sente......!  :rotfl:

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2020, 07:29:17 PM »
Hi @fishtales

Things have gone awfully quiet. How are you getting on? In the meantime...

KH - usually known as carbonate hardness but is more accurately known as alkalinity. KH is a measure of the water's ability to resist pH changes - usually, pH reduction. Many processes in an aquarium have the tendency to lower pH. One such example is biological filtration. Thus, KH acts as a pH stabilizer (buffer). If KH is zero, then the pH could fall to a level that would potentially harm fish and other tank inhabitants. And that includes the nitrifying bacteria whose activity is reduced at pH=6.0 and, at pH=5.5, the bacteria die. This sudden reduction in pH is often known as a 'pH crash'.

I always ensure that KH never falls below 4.0dH. This figure has served me well.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2020, 08:33:11 PM »
Hi Everyone,

If you've managed to read the whole of this thread, you will probably notice that there are no replies from the OP* - namely, fishtales. But, some of the replies are included as quotes from myself and other forum members. We will never know the outcome of the OP's first post. The OP (fishtales) chose to leave the forum 'out of the blue'. And, in doing so, fishtales deleted all the posts that fishtales had made.

I can't speak for other forum members, fishtales, but I am sadddened by your abrupt decision to leave the ThinkFish family of which you had become a much-valued member. And, of course, fishtales may never read this but if that does happen, please re-consider your decision to leave without notice.

*OP = original poster

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "RO System"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2016, 01:13:02 PM
by Hannspree
8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2017, 07:50:50 PM
by Andy The Minion

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: