Author Topic: Re airstones  (Read 4121 times) 10 replies

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re airstones
« on: July 04, 2017, 10:57:57 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
I'm wondering what are the benefits of using air stones in addition to filtered pumps ?
Ally

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Re airstones
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
There are no real benefits to air stones provided that the filter moves the water round the tank. Air stones are mainly because the fish keeper likes the looks of the bubbles.
But there is one circumstance that air stones are useful. In very hot weather or when the tank temperature needs to be increased to treat sick fish (eg for whitespot) the bubbles from an air stone help churn the water better than a filter alone. Warmer water holds less oxygen so more water movement means more water exposed at the surface so gas exchange can take place better - that is oxygen into the water and carbon dioxide from fish respiration out of the water.

If you are thinking of an air stone in Moonbeam's tank, don't forget that bettas like calm water so you don't want to make any water movement too much for him.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:18:16 PM »
To add to Sues post...

I use an airstone briefly after feeding to break up any film of proteins which have appeared on the surface.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 08:31:55 AM »
Just a mad thought... If it were very hot weather (never been known here) the air going in to the air pump will be warm, perhaps 10°C warmer than the tank and it will add to the tank temperature. If you were to put the air pump in a sealed box, make a hole in it and fit an air inlet tube the tube could be put in the coolest part of the house like the void under the floorboards or the fridge or even the freezer. A slow flow of -15°C air would certainly cool the water, I haven't bothered to do the maths to find out how much cooling capacity this would have but if anybody is interested I could do it.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
Arnt freezers sealed? Like when you try to open the fridge having just put something back in and have to wait a few seconds before it will open? How would you get the airline in?

I bet it would make quite a difference though as the air immediately above the tank would be warmer too...

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »
@Matt I had thought about that, the inner tube from a biro (sans ink) would pass between the rubber seal and the door without being flattened... you are not contemplating doing this are you?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 06:34:18 PM »
No lol, trailing airline across the house would never be acceptable...

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 09:07:40 PM »
I've got them in both my tanks.

My 120L has good surface agitation so the airstones are completely unnecessary but I put them in at the beginning before fully understanding their purpose.  They stayed because all good aquariums should have bubbles somewhere (in my head, anyway)!

My little Flex 34L is another matter entirely.  I've had no end of problems with losing fish to dropsy.  The shoal of CPDs I have has 2 distinct types: proper full-bodied ones and a load of scrawny ones; they are slimmer and sort of hollow bellied and it's these runts that have been giving me trouble.

The water quality is good, levels are 0, 0, 0 (Bio Nitrate-EX) and the shrimp are breeding nicely, but the runts were gasping at the top and the stronger fish were seeming listless too.  The only thing I noted was that the gills on the runts were a little pink.  It then occurred to me that my efforts to tame the whirlpool effect had taken away all surface movement so, out of desperation I dropped in an airstone.

24 hrs later, the tank is transformed!  Fish are active and colours are better already.

I just wish I'd worked it out earlier as I could have saved two or three fish from an early grave  :-[

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »
The smaller scrawnier CPDs tend to be the males. Their fin colouration and amount of blue on the body also vary slightly.

Mine have been really hardy. I've only ever lost one female quite unexpectedly and suddenly with no symptoms or signs and no other losses in the tank at that time (mother nature!?)

They are beautiful fish that I am certain to stick with when I upgrade my tank even though it will restrict my maximum fish size somewhat.

How do you find the flex? I love the idea that you can look down into the tank and the floating glass design.  But I take it this restricts gas exchange?

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 11:58:44 AM »
I keep meaning to do a review of the Flex.

It needed some work to make it suitable for small fish and shrimp because of the absurd jet of water from the pump that forced the fish into one corner and the massive openings to the filter compartment. Overall I'm very happy with the tank now though.

Going by your description though, I think you are talking about the Fluval Edge and I can't comment on that one!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 12:34:11 PM »
Going by your description though, I think you are talking about the Fluval Edge and I can't comment on that one!

I do indeed!!  :isay:

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: