Quarantine Tank

Author Topic: Quarantine tank  (Read 3461 times) 6 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Quarantine tank
« on: January 13, 2015, 09:00:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
How forward thinking am I (Some would say pessimistic!)
Haven't even got the fish yet and I am planning on nursing them. Forewarned and all that.

Seriously though, I got a notification from Freegle about some new stuff going on and one of them was an aquarium and loads of stuff . It said it would need cleaning up.
Anyway, I contacted the person to ask if they still had it and explained that I was after a small tank to use eventually as a quarantine/medical tank. Said where I was in the area and got an email back saying come and look tonight as she had put the small tank aside for me and somebody was going tomorrow for the big one.  If I went tonight I could have a pick over of the other stuff.
She gave her address and IT WAS ACROSS THE ROAD FROM ME!!

Shot straight over there. Lovely little tank 30x20x20 with an undergravel filter (which I shall probably remove)
I bagged a couple of air pumps and a couple of heaters.
I still have to check most of it as they were minus their plugs but the one that still had a plug works.

She gave me a bag of moss/soil for my plants but I'm not sure if I'll use that.

All of it is grubby. Her husband used to have around 7 tanks but gave it up some time ago and everything was just chucked in bags.

I am going to give it all a good scrub and soak it in Milton and then a good rinsing.

So that's my Wednesday taken care of.

Sandra

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Quarantine tank
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:15:14 PM »
Hi Sandra,

The freecycle type websites are great for stuff like that! I got my first tank on freecycle complete with filter and rather grotesque ornaments!!  Really important to clean it all really thoroughly tho, you never know what nasties people had in their tanks!!!

Good find!! Well done you!!

FC76

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 07:20:21 PM »
Into the greenhouse where it was nice and warm with the sun shining through the bubble wrapped glass. Fish tank scrubbed with rainwater and new wash up pad and brush to get rid of grime . (We're on a water meter and have plenty of rainwater at the moment!). Scrubbed the two lots of feathery plastic weed which came up surprisingly well.

Played around with the working pump and the under gravel tray. Did manage to get water coming out of the top but since I have decided that I won't be putting any substrate in the hospital tank I'm unlikely  to use it.

Put plugs on both heaters and the second pump.  Pump works well but neither heater did, despite the fact that one of them looks in good nick. Ah well, can't complain - it didn't cost anything after all. Have now ordered a small heater.

Into the kitchen and everything then washed in hot  soapy water, rinsed well and then put in a Milton soak for an hour. Everything rinsed very well again. Washed the grime off the outside of the pumps and they look pretty good. Dried the tank and apart from a bit of scratch marking it looks good. The water meter's taken a fair old bashing today !!

Have yet to sort out a filter but will post a question under equipment.

Sandra

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:33:57 PM »
Quarantine tank , my foot!

You have just caught 'Multiple Tank Syndrome'!

:rotfl:

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
Shhhhhh. If you say that too loudly he'll hear you.
I did explain to the other half several days ago about MTS and he looked a bit puzzled but then he saw me looking on ebay (ostensibly at that time for a cheap hospital tank for pennies).

Now I think the penny has dropped because he keeps say NO!

We do discuss it though and we keep saying we don't have anywhere for another tank. We had to change the room around just to fit this little one in.
When I went across to the neighbour last night to pick up the other tank she said her husband used to keep them in the loft??

Maybe when this little 'un is finally (if it ever is - I am so impatient) up and running we'll end up with more.  As it is we keep joking to each other that we are likely to end up with Grandson's identical tank once he takes off into the world.  His mum is hardly likely to want to take on his fish so I can see us being asked to adopt them.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 11:07:27 AM »
Make sure you remove all the soap from the tank etc as fish and bacteria don't like it. A good few rinsings should do it, but make sure it is a good number.

Under gravel filters were the first kind to be invented once the need for filter bacteria was discovered. The gravel is the filter medium where the bacteria live. They have pretty much fallen out of favour in recent years. I would get a small internal instead.
I assume your measurements are cm? So 30 x 20 x 20 is 12 litres. Hmm, could be tricky getting a filter for that. The one I have in my betta's tank could work as the flow rate can be adjusted. It is Maidenhead Aquatics own brand, an Aqua-Internal filter 50. The media is a hollow sponge filled with carbon - I emptied the carbon out. But you could take some media out of your other tank's filter for whatever filter you use (except the UG!) once the other tank has been running a few months.

At 12 litres I wouldn't use the new tank for anything except a quarantine tank or maybe a shrimp tank if you do want to set it up permanently. It would look very nice heavily planted with red cherry shrimp  ;)

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
Thanks for that Sue. Yes correct 12 litres it is. ONLY for an emergency.

It was very very well rinsed and will be again before it is used.

I knew it would be small and only suitable for emergencies but it didn't cost me so that's good.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Quarantine tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 04:02:54 PM
by Diz1
3 Replies
Last post September 21, 2014, 07:40:47 PM
by Puffin
4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 11:20:01 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2018, 05:40:28 PM
by fcmf
32 Replies
Last post January 18, 2020, 09:05:54 AM
by Lynne W
7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 09:08:24 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post September 04, 2020, 04:14:33 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: