Hoods And Getting Rid Of Them

Author Topic: Hoods and getting rid of them  (Read 4868 times) 12 replies

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Hoods and getting rid of them
« on: April 01, 2016, 07:32:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Most of my tanks have black plastic hoods which hold the lights. I think they are ugly and also a nuisance. Each is slightly different, but none is convenient. In some cases the whole hood has to be swung up to get into the tank and in others the hood has to be lifted off completely to do anything other than feed the fish or put a siphon in. So if you want to net a fish you either have to lift the hood off completely or swing it up, in either case you no longer have light. It's rarely possible to net a fish using just the front part of the hood which can be opened. Trimming plants is also tricky.

While planning to change over to LED lights, I realised that another advantage of these is that they have virtually no depth and so there is no need for a bulging hood which holds the fluorescent tubes. At present I am thinking of getting rid of the hoods and replacing them with flat tops, with LED lighting glued onto the underside. My idea is to have the top in two sections. The rear section would cover about 70%, the lights would be fitted to it and there would be small cut outs at the rear for heater and filter cables. The front part would cover the remaining 30% and could be easily lifted off to feed the fish or for water changes etc. In principle this seems a very easy thing to do and I think it would both be more convenient and more attractive, the latter because the tops would be much less visible than the present hoods. In addition, it would be much easier to fit the LED strip lights which is problematic in the existing hoods. They would be something like the hood on my Rio 125 which is in three sections.

The only question remains what would be the best material to use for these replacement tops. I have thought of acrylic sheet but that is quite expensive and would probably need to be black to match the tanks. I wouldn't want to use glass or clear acrylic which would let light through. Any suggestions welcome!

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Hoods and getting rid of them
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »
I like the idea of the flat top, but have a couple of potential concerns.

The first being that even LEDs listed as waterproof don't always work out to be so, I've had a few LEDs fail because of water ingress. To be fair though, it's mainly been in marine systems, so it could be the salt helping to penetrate the LEDs.

The other concern would be reducing the air gap in the top of the aquarium, which could affect the gas exchange in the tank.

As for material, I wouldn't use acrylic, it has a tendency to bow. I'm not sure if it's the heat or moisture, but it likes to curl up at the ends. I currently have a 10mm thick piece of acrylic on a 50l / 60cm tank, and find I have to turn it upside down once a month to straighten the bow.

Have you considered using some 2 or 3mm thick aluminium sheet? You could paint the outside black to match the tank and keep the inside naked aluminium; this will aid the LEDs as a heat sink and the silver colour will act as a reflector.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:26:42 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The aluminium sounds a good idea, not the cheapest but at least it should last forever.

Looking on EBay there are people who will cut to size. That would be essential as the nearest pre-cut size to my 800 x 350 mm requirements (4 tanks) would appear to be 1000 x 500 and for 600 - 655 x 300 (4 tanks) is 750 x 500 which would involve wasting a lot of aluminium (and money).

Rather than painting the top, I might try using black sheet vinyl. I've never managed to paint metal to look nice! I'll try everything out on one tank and let it run for a while before I start pulling the rest to pieces.

I'm not worried about the small gap above the water line. The tank I have which came with LED lighting fitted has a very small air space but it hasn't caused any problems. I really like the flat top look of that tank, it has a more modern feel. Which brings me back to the question of why virtually all tanks are still produced with fluorescent tube lighting and deep hoods.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 03:21:04 AM »
This might give you ideas/help.

http://www.aquaworldaquarium.com/Articles/TonyGriffitts/DIY_LED.htm

I've only skimmed through your posts as it's late, with thanks from a busy night at work and ill kids.
I will, however, be keen to see any out come of the grand design as the idea does sound great.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 10:33:18 AM »
Oh, if you do go for the aluminium lids, make sure that no part of the wires or soldiered joints touch the aluminium, otherwise you may cause a short circuit. In the past I've put a small piece of electrical tape underneath the soldered pads and used a glue gun to cover the open joints. It helps a bit with waterproofing too :)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 11:14:49 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I'm planning to use aquarium sealant anywhere that might aid waterproofing and electrical insulation.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 11:45:15 AM »
As for fixing the LED strips, initially I relied on the sticky backing that they are supplied with.
That was a complete waste of time! :vcross:

Then I bought some double-sided tape - that lasted all of two hours before completely detaching.

Finally ended up using a hot-melt glue gun. That did the trick.  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »
I used super glue  ;)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 12:26:13 PM »
I'm was wary of using Superglue as it melts some plastics. My hood is plastic.  :'(

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »
My present thoughts are to use a hot melt glue gun to fix the strips, then run a bead of aquarium sealant along the edges of the strips, just overlapping the strip edges by a small amount.

I'm planning to reduce soldering to a minimum, using special connectors where possible.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 12:35:20 PM »
Richard have you already purchased your connectors?

I chose the no soldering option and used these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301681749440

They are a little fiddly to connect but as they're cheap they were worth persevering with.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »
Hi Simon
The ones I have are very similar but with a connector at only one end with bare wires at the other. If I'm using 4 strips in a hood, I'll use 4 of these, one per strip, and connect the bare wire ends to the leads from the power supply, probably using a normal type of screw connector. (I think you put a photo of one on the site a while ago??). Or I might solder them.

I really need to see about getting the aluminium for the hoods now. I think I have everything else.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 01:10:30 PM »
I'm was wary of using Superglue as it melts some plastics.

Blimey!!! I guess I was very lucky then!

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: