New Tank.

Author Topic: New tank.  (Read 4878 times) 5 replies

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
New tank.
« on: April 03, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
After agonising for ages over whether to have cories or shell dwellers in my tank I have decided, as you may have seen, to go for cories.  However, I have also decided to get a second tank for a small colony of shellies.  But I am having problems locating a suitable tank for my desires.

I am looking for something in the 45-60 litre range so it will fit on my desk!  I would like it be long and wide and shallow since shellies are bottom dwellers and there would be no other fish in the tank with them.  I have found a 600x450x300 which is the right sort of proportions although it's bit big at 80 litres.  It's also WAY WAY too expensive at £180.  And that's just for the tank, no other bits and bobs.

Any ideas anyone?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brecon

• Fishy Member
Re: New tank.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »
Hi, have recently completed putting my study together and went way over budget on all the decorating. Had to scratch my head to sort out my tank on a budget and ended up with a 180 ltr bow front jewel tank with cabinet for £60. Okay the cabinet had a few marks and the tank glass had a scratch on one side. As I was happy as I painted the sides and the back black so this did not show. Got the tank secondhand on "Gum tree".  Replaced the filter pump and added an external I had. Replaced all the heaters as i did not trust the two it came with. Cost about £130 fish. So I think I got a bargain as checking new would have cost about £400 + fish. Plus I got the tank to look really deep with the black painting. Happy with the purchase and the result.   Would do again on a budget.  Good luck.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 11:14:57 PM »
SteveS,
I cannot quite understand your question (I think not many people could judging from the number of replies).
I understand you want a tank of a certain size but the one you found so far seems to be too expensive... The conclusions from this are obvious, really. You either: 1) wait until your dream tank comes along by the price you are happy with or 2) bite the bullet and buy it whatever the price or 3) order a custom made one – again, the price will probably be not what you consider a bargain or 4) you attempt building your own (on my “other forums”, I read about people doing just that).
I am sure that all of the above have crossed your mind hence I don’t know what to suggest here...

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 01:44:09 AM »
I cannot quite understand your question...

Let me rephrase.  I am looking for a tank of about 45-60 litres or so.  However most tanks that are available, and cheap-ish, are tall.  This gives more depth of water at the expense of floor area.  I want a shallow tank in order to maximise the floor area for a given volume.  The fish I intend for it are bottom-dwellers;  It seems dumb to have all this unused space that I am paying for!

I asked for any knowledge of such a tank as the options I found were expensive.  As to your solutions:
  • Wait? You are kidding right? :)
  • What?  You really were kidding :D
  • The tanks are not so pricey, but the delivery... Whew! >:(
  • I am thinking this is probably my best bet! :-\

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 07:47:08 AM »
In response to option #4, this guy here tells you how in one of the videos. I've linked to the index so you can see the other videos as well.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »
I nearly posted about my Eheim tank but then I noticed you want something with a bigger footprint (or is the 450 the height rather than the front to back dimension I'd assumed?)

Just in case you might consider it, my tank, the one I got to replace my old 60 litre, is an Eheim aquastar. It is quoted as being 54 litres but as that's right to the brim it realistically holds more like 45-50 depnding on substrate depth.
Dimensions 600 x 300 x 300
Eheim pickup filter
50 watt Jager heater
Single T8 fluorescent tube
(though as it's a year since I got it, the accessories may have changed)

Depending on where you look on line, it's priced £80-100

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New tank."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 08:25:31 PM
by Etienne
19 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 09:59:36 AM
by jesnon
6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2013, 07:26:58 PM
by Resa
13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2013, 04:27:21 PM
by engineer_tom
14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 07:22:13 PM
by Kirstos
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: