Need To Buy A New Tank - Need Recommendations

Author Topic: Need to buy a new tank - need recommendations  (Read 18898 times) 86 replies

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Need to buy a new tank - need recommendations
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2019, 02:14:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Yeah, no way I'd put it in the tank in the substrate as we went through hell to FIND a good black substrate. For the purpose of it being black.  ;)

I ordered a little sample bag for a couple of pounds and will see what shows up.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »
Woo! Just did the daily test. Twice, to be sure.
Ph at 6.
Ammonia between zero and .25.
Nitrite between 2 and 5 (I think. Again, the colors are so similar....)
Nitrate is most definitely now between 10 and 20.
We are not stalled, hooray!

I'm still going to add a little dolomite anyway, because of the stability issues. When I find it.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2019, 02:53:39 PM »
It would probably be easier to find a lump of dolomite and use that as a rock in the tank. For example dolomite (the examples that are just dolomite, nothing else)

Yes, things do seem to be moving at last.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2019, 03:01:27 PM »
Cool. I'll have my daughter get me some off Ebay then, as she has an account there.

I wonder if it was time, adding the nasty fish filter, or the 1/3 water change that kind of nudged things along?

Offline Sue

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2019, 03:24:18 PM »
Probably all three.
The nasty pad would have contained bacteria
Extra time for those bacteria to multiply (they can double thir numbers in 24 to 36 hours)
The water change would have removed some ammonia & nitrite, but also added some KH. Not much, admittedly but it would have helped. The filter bacteria also need inorganic carbon to grow, and inorganic carbon is just carbonate and bicarbonate.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2019, 03:37:17 PM »
Hmmm. I wonder if I should give it another partial water change today?

Also, I checked on that "Up" product on my shelf. It is Sodium Carbonate. (Not BiCarb, like baking soda.) Since I'm going to be pretty much cycling out all the water that's in the tank now by smaller water changes before the corys go in, I wonder if adding one ml of it to the tank might be helpful to the nitrite>nitrate bacteria?

Or I probably should just leave well enough alone, and change out some water, and wait.

I have to say, the plants are growing dramatically, as are the extras I put in the little tank. The corys don't seem to know what to do with the grass-like stuff.  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
If sodium carbonate is the only ingredient, you can use it during cycling. But the sodium will make it unlike the water your fish come from (cories and any other soft water fish) so I wouldn't use it once you have fish.

The common name for sodium carbonate is washing soda  :o

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2019, 03:47:59 PM »
Yes, that's the only ingredient listed. (And yep, washing soda. My mom used to have it in the laundry. Along with lye. Which I never quite understood the need for. But, whatever, that was over a half-century ago!)

Yeah, the water that is in there now is not what the babies are going to go into. I just want to get the filtration set up and working well and then go back to conditioned tap water for them. With the dolomite in there for the minerals and stuff. Once the dolomite gets here, which could be a week or two.

Offline Sue

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
Washing soda is also good to use on drains  ;D

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2019, 12:41:05 PM »
Bicarb cannot be used when there are fish in the tank because of the soda part - sodium. There are no soft water fish which have evolved to cope with a lot of sodium in the water.

I have used sodium bicarbonate on many occasions to increase KH in a tank occupied by German Blue Rams (GBRs) - both juveniles and adults. At one stage, I had no less than 40 healthy GBRs in this tank when I had a pH crash. Adding the correct dose of sodium bicarbonate to nudge the KH to around the 4.0 mark did the job. All the fish were/still are absolutely fine. GBRs are soft water fish.

As an additional observation, I use Tropic Marin Re-Mineral Tropic (RMT) to remineralize RO water, which I use in my tanks. RMT contains sodium and, I suspect, it's the bicarbonate form.

JPC

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »
Good to know!

Oh, big surprise for me here this morning. Was sitting next to the tank, drinking my coffee, when I noticed something moving in there under its own power. It seems there is an incredibly tiny cory in there - must have been an egg in the filter, or a larvae in the filter, when I added the janky old filter to the tank and then pulled the  filter medium out in the water!  So, something is alive in there besides the plants!  "Rambo" seems to be doing fine, rooting in the fine black sand up under the plants.

I did a 1/3 tank water change, as I'd added enough "Up" yesterday to get the tank to register a change in Ph on the test scale. This morning it was back down to 6.0, the ammonia seems a bit lower (hard to tell) but not yet zero, and there is definitely more nitrate in the tank. The nitrite remains, of course, purple and I can't tell the difference between the three of the purple colors on the card.  ::)  Since Rambo is in there now I'll be changing a bit of the water every day until this weekend, and then will chance a couple more slightly older cory babies in it. (With Amquel in the water to neutralize the ammonia, etc.)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »
And I should not have washed out the gunk into the big tank from the Whisper filter, it seems. The little tank has had an ammonia/nitrite spike that killed some of the baby corys. All emergency protocols have been taken, and the remainder of the babies have been moved to the big tank after an 80% big-tank water change and conditioning.

One of them doesn't look good, but could possibly pull through. I thought for sure he was a goner, as he was already turning white, but he wedged in a spot where the water from the filter was running over him well and has perked up. He definitely has gill damage, though, so there's no telling. It could just be a matter of time until he slips away.  One of the other corys is staying near him. (The poor little thing!  :(   ) The others are already rooting in the sand and look like they've lived there forever. Will be testing the water twice a day and doing a partial water change daily, just to keep things fresh, for a while. I have several litres and a five gallon bucket of water aging.

Once the little tank is stable again and I'm sure they are all ok, and when I'm sure the big tank is also stable, I'll switch some of the babies out for their parents - babies back to small tank, parents into the big tank, one at a time, over several days. The last thing I want is another crash on my hands, with dead corys.

That was so sad to find this morning! I have been doing partial water changes in the little tank every day, but I guess the bioload was just too high for the tank given using only the Eheim sponge filter for a while, instead of the Eheim and the Whisper together. (The only thing that has changed is that I put quite a bit of the floating plants from the big tank into the smaller one. Probably not actually associated with the problem, and only a coincidence.  It's probably the filter thing.)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2019, 08:03:55 PM »
Ok, now THAT was weird!  :o :o

I had the big tank running since May. I cleaned the filter out in June. In July I only took the top sponge of the filter out to clean (there are two), and added a bit of alkaline gravel.  In early August I cleaned the top sponge again (so as to leave the bottom sponge with the bacteria).  Yesterday I decided to give the filter a good clean, so I turned it off, drained the water and took it to the kitchen sink. I pulled both (very gunky) sponges out and kept them in a bowl of tank water. I then turned the housing over under running tap water and shook it. Out popped a good-sized albino cory into the sink strainer. I thought it was dead, then thought again - how would a cory that big get into the filter? I looked closely and saw a gill move! Holy Moley, he was alive.  :yikes:

So I got him into a net and back into the big tank - where he went straight to the bottom and began to root in the sand.  My daughter agreed that was weird - he must have been sucked into the filter as either a fry or an egg right after the tank had cycled, and had been living in that tiny space for at least a month (probably closer to two, given his size).

So I thought nothing more of it. I dumped the gravel out into a bowl and was washing it and, yes, there, in the gravel was ANOTHER cory, about half his size. Same drill - emergency transfer to a net and into the big tank. Straight to the bottom and began to feed. Pwew!

So, back to the gravel, which I had been sloshing around in running tap water for a good five minutes. Noooo, was that a flash of pink? Yes, it was. A tiny cory had been sloshed around in the gravel, in running cold tap water. Net. Tank. Bottom. Feeding.

So, today, the filter is re-assembled, Tetra Safe-start added to it, and back in the tank. The three "new" corys are doing well. I am, once again, up to my eyeballs in albino corys - we had planned to keep six, gave away what we thought were the rest. Between eggs that were well-hidden in the tank and these three guys who lived in that tiny one-inch by one-inch space in with the filter and heater, we now have fifteen again!

Those are some darned sturdy little fish!!!  :o

Anybody want any albino corys?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2019, 08:32:21 PM »
 :yikes: wow that is quite a story!

I've never once raised any fry, you seem to have the knack!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2019, 09:13:10 PM »
Wow, that's some hardy corys.  :o
I wouldn't have thought they'd live in a filter, or survive being run under the tap.  ;D
Amazing.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2019, 09:43:41 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I know, huh? We've had corys on and off for years, and NEVER had anything like this happen. They have always lived to a great age, but have never spawned. Apparently, corys really like it in Scotland!

I was sure I'd killed that tiny one, as I'd been sloshing the gravel around in the bowl, and then running more water (and it was pretty cold) over the gravel to get the gunk gone.... He's nibbling on the algae on the log right now, though.

These are impressive little fish, I have to say!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2019, 12:58:57 PM »
Wow, what a good and impressive story, with a nice outcome on each occasion.  :cheers:

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
This is the best photo I could get - some of the guys are behind the log. But that little tiny pink dot in the foreground on the left? Yep, that was the guy who got washed in the gravel for five minutes. Doing fine!

Offline Sue

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2019, 09:44:20 AM »
Your tank looks great  :)

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2019, 10:10:56 AM »

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Need to buy a new tank - need recommendations"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
21 Replies
Last post March 23, 2018, 02:33:19 PM
by Hampalong
9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2015, 11:58:19 AM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 08:51:06 AM
by Sue
33 Replies
Last post November 27, 2018, 07:26:34 PM
by jaypeecee
10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2019, 04:50:47 PM
by daveyng
10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2019, 07:10:03 AM
by Littlefish
20 Replies
Last post April 11, 2021, 08:14:18 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: