Need To Buy A New Tank - Need Recommendations

Author Topic: Need to buy a new tank - need recommendations  (Read 18893 times) 86 replies

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Need to buy a new tank - need recommendations
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 12:56:15 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hmm. Well, these are albino corys, which I believe are a subset of bronze corys.  http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/catfish/acory.php

They've done fine in there for two years, and this year have started breeding like mad.  It might do to put them all out in the big tank - it's why we got the big tank in the first place.  :fishy1:  The tank is a foot x two feet. And since that's what we've got, that's what they'll be living in. ;)

At least until I can rehome some of them. We'll see how it goes.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 04:04:26 PM »
You might find this helpful, to know exactly what your water hardness levels are in CaCO3 and degrees German: https://www.scottishwater.co.uk/en/Your-Home/Your-Water/Water-Quality/Water-Quality 

As for gravel/sand, you might find it helpful to look at this site - https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aquarium-accessories/aquarium-decoration/aquarium-gravel-and-sands and http://www.unipacpet.co.uk/aquatic/aquarium-sand/ for a specific brand. In the detail of each sand, they tell you the grain sizes, so that might at least give you an idea of what sand of a particular grain size looks like and what to avoid for when you buy it.

They've done fine in there for two years, and this year have started breeding like mad.  It might do to put them all out in the big tank - it's why we got the big tank in the first place.  :fishy1:  The tank is a foot x two feet. And since that's what we've got, that's what they'll be living in. ;)
Just a point worth knowing about breeding - breeding behaviour can also be a sign of stress ie mentality of "quickly reproduce and hopefully genes will continue".

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 04:35:44 PM »
Thanks for the links. I will check those out. I think my daughter will agree to a more natural colored sand, just to get the tank going. (We can always change out at a later date, if we need to.) I am thinking it should be a relatively fine sand (not superfine, but not large pieces) so the corys can sift through it naturally. Right now they are on rounded pebbles and doing just fine with them, but I think they'd be a lot happier on sand, from having seen videos of them.

I wonder what would have suddenly stressed them? They've been fine until just lately. 

In any event, very soon they will have a nice big fish chateau with plants, so hopefully they'll be happy there. 

The water is German 0.94. the CaCo3 is 16.85.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 06:21:51 PM »
Yes, definitely a fine sand without sharp pieces is best for cories - a shop may be able to let you feel it and see what you think. I have Unipac's Tana sand which is a natural colour.

I wonder what would have suddenly stressed them? They've been fine until just lately.
A fish can be chronically stressed such as living in cramped conditions but it may manifest itself in various ways such as frenetic breeding or eventually falling ill.
The larger tank ought to help them and your very soft water will suit them very well.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 05:39:22 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The tank is planted and cycling.  I've also just put a low-growing mossy-looking stuff on the rest of the Eco substrate in the back of the tank to cut down on the chances of the Corys hurting their barbels on it. (Photo take before I added that.) Hopefully they'll be too busy in the sand.  ;) Which I still need to rake to get the wayward bits of Eco out of.  Thanks for all your help and advice. ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 05:55:44 PM »
It's looking good.  :)

I'm sure that your fish will love their new home.  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »
This is looking really good. Please keep us updated on how this progresses. If you struggle with eco complete constantly seeping out onto the sand try squeezing some filter floss in the gaps where it's coming through :)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 04:52:24 PM »
Good idea, thanks!  The grassy-looking stuff has taken root already (!) and so I think that'll hold most of it back in the wider path up from the sand to under the filter (which, if my experience is any indication will be a very popular place to "hang out"). I am going to have to invest in a set of fish hedge-clippers, I think! The plants are growing surprisingly well - I've never had much luck with live plants, but these seem very happy on the Eco substrate and tabs.

I've contacted the person from whom I'm going to get some Rummies to arrange for us to compare tank water so that I have time to adjust it before bringing the fish home. I'm trying to get within a ballpark of theirs so the fish won't stress as much. Then the Rummies will go in to help with the cycling, and hopefully soon thereafter the big Albino Corys will be moved over there, with the largest of their offspring. (The tinys will stay in the 5 gallon for now.)

So my daughter wants to put a placket-tail betta in the big tank. I'm not convinced it's a good idea, because of the water flow. (That filter is designed for 80 litres and putting out a good flow in my little 60 litre tank!) Plus, Corys like the temps on the lower end - 72-76F - while Bettas like 78-82F. I guess I could split it at 77F, but that's not the best temp for both. I ~think~ Rummies like 76-80, so they would be ok. I am also thinking that Rummies won't bother the Betta, and the Betta should not go for the Rummies, but you never know with Bettas.  8)

Have you guys ever put Bettas with other fish? I would think it would be better off in the little 5 gallon tank with the Whisper filter as it cascades down from above, hanging on the back of the tank and can be adjusted to a low-flow as needed. If she's really set on a Betta, that is. But if it's safe to put it in the larger tank, it'd have a lot more room to be a Betta in.

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2019, 05:20:30 PM »
Bettas are not community fish, if you want one the 5 gallon tank is much better. You will read of people who keep bettas with other fish, but we never know if it turned out to be successful as they would never let on if something went wrong. Even if there is no physical aggression either way, fish secrete allomones to communicate with different species, and if a fish picks up aggressive allomones it will become stressed.

I am a bit concerned when you say you will 'have time to adjust the water' This is not a good idea. You have soft water in Scotland, which is what rummies (either the usual false rummies or the less common true rummies) need. It is much better to leave your water the same as comes out of the tap. if you alter it, you'll either have to use the same altered water at every water change, forever; or gradually change the water back to the same as the tap over several water changes.

Some people advocate adding a bit of water every few minutes to the bag the fish are in to acclimatise them. But it takes days, if not weeks, for fish to acclimatise. The 'plop and drop' method is the better one - float the bag without opening it to get the water inside to the same temperature as the tank, then open the bag and net the fish out and straight into the tank.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »
Yeah, I think the Betta would be better off in the five as well. I just couldn't figure out a way to explain it to the daughter. Thanks.

The guy who has the Rummies has them in a basically bare tank, with some gravel in the bottom. In that gravel he has bits of shell to "buffer" the water a bit more towards alkaline, which he does with all the fish he sells. He says otherwise it's local tap water.  I have basically the same tap water, but a lot of bogwood in the tank. There is that wonking big piece, and then the java ferns are on it as well. The water here is already acidic - I'm concerned that the bogwood is going to make it more so. Plus, the fish are coming from a tank that is having calcium carbonate added to the local water. 

I just did an API dip-strip in there and it's coming back KH between 0 and 40 and GH between 0 and 30. The PH is between 6 and 6.5. (I hate these color charts things, as they never match exactly, to my eyes.)

I had assumed that over time I would gradually work back to tap water, yes. But for their initial "plop and drop" I thought I'd have something a little more welcoming. And as the shell dissolves and the water is periodically replaced, they'll gradually come back up to our "standard".

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2019, 06:37:46 PM »
Woah, my nitrate levels and nitrite levels are very high!

I know it goes - ammonia to nitrite to nitrate.  The water is also off-color, possibly leaching tannin from the bogwood. I assume I do nothing for a while, to let the nitrite-eating bacteria continue to flourish? (There are no fish in there yet.)

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »
If there are no fish it's not a problem.

Have you added anything to the tank - ammonia, fish food etc?

The nitrate test also tests for nitrite so if there is nitrite in the tank, the nitrate reading is not accurate.
Have you tested your tap water nitrate?

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2019, 07:01:25 PM »
There are no fish in there. (Thankfully.)

The tank color only changed today. (My daughter says she thought it had a slightly green tinge last night.) It's not seriously noticeable, if you hadn't seen it before when it was crystal clear.

I added a little fish food early on. We're talking maybe 6 granules. I conditioned the water with Seachem Prime to declorinate/decloramine it. And the liquid plant food - Tropica plant growth premium fertilizer, a week ago when we first set it up.

I am using API 5 in 1 test strips and API Ammonia test strips.

The ammonia level is at 1.0 ppm (as far as I can tell from these colors). It could be a bit less - it's kinda in between .5 and 1.0, if I had to guess. The Nitrites are at the top of the chart, 10ppm. Nitrates are at  80-160ppm (again, hard to tell from the color).

Water out of the tap has no nitrates and no nitrites.

Should I assume the tank is cycling itself, and the eventually the ammonia will fall to nothing, as will the nitrites?

Or was there something in the plant fertilizer that's throwing things off?

Also, I am using Eco-complete substrate, which said it contained live bacteria that would help the tank cycle more quickly.

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2019, 07:09:08 PM »
Yes, that's the usual procedure for a cycle. With lots of healthy live plants, they should take up the ammonia and they don't convert it into nitrite, so there's no nitrate made either. But there needs to be a fair amount of plants, and fast growing ones to do this quickly on a large scale.

Greenish water suggests an algae bloom. This is a microscopic alga that floats freely in the water and we see it as a green tinted cloudiness. Algae of all types are encouraged when three things are out of balance - light, fertiliser and carbon dioxide.
With no fish, there won't be much carbon dioxide. They breathe it out, and fish poo, uneaten food etc decompose to make it.
There may be too much plant fertiliser; too much for the 'proper' plants to take up especially if there's not much carbon dioxide.
Light - how long are the lights on for?

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2019, 07:29:13 PM »
Lights come on at 9am and go off at about 9pm.  There's lots of plants in there and they are growing, visibly. They all seem pretty happy.

The water looks a little gold to me, more than green. I have had algae blooms in the 5 gallon before, when things went out of kilter, and this doesn't look like that. It's more brownish gold. Not sure it's not the bogwood making blackwater. But it could be algae.

There is no fertilizer in the substrate, so I put in slightly less than what the Tropica plant food dose was, for the tank. That was literally the same day the plants went in. I haven't added anything since.

I'm a bit confused as to how I've got such a high level of nitrites - seriously, it was like six grains of sinking pellets (Tetra Pro Color) in the 60 litre tank.

I was really hoping I could get some of the smaller corys in there to get them more room, as the nursery net is getting a bit crowded as they grow. I'm thinking that's probably a pretty good way to kill them, though, at present.

I had considered draining it by several litres and replacing with fresh, treated water. But that would that delay the cycle getting to the point that it would be safe to put the corys in, wouldn't it?

I had made arrangements to have the guy at the fish store test the water tomorrow, so perhaps he will be able to tell me more. I have already ordered the more accurate testing kit, but it won't be in for a few days.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2019, 07:38:59 PM »
I do have the lights on a timer.  Perhaps 12 hours is too much. The tank gets some generic daylight when the sun comes up here. I'll try adjusting it to come on at 10:00am and stay on for a while, then off for the afternoon, then back on for the evening.

Offline Sue

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2019, 07:44:39 PM »
I would cut it down to 6 hours and see how the plants are. If they look as though they are suffering, increase to 7 hours and see.
Algae bloom can also be white. It could be that tannins are affecting the colour.

One thing you can try is to drain the tank and refill. Then add a few fish and monitor ammonia and nitrite very carefully - at least once a day. Totally new water will reset the levels back to tap water levels so any increase will be due the fish only.

A quick look on google implies that eco-complete is not one of those substrates that leach ammonia, which is good as you can't add fish for about 6 months with that type. There are sites saying that despite what the blurb says, it does not contain any plant nutrients but when those are added, the substrate holds them for the plants to access them.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2019, 08:09:52 PM »
I agree with sue on all of this...
Your lights should be on for about 8 hours a day give or take, but if the tank is getting some natural light (not normally advised as this encourages algae) then having them on for less than this is the way to go.

Eco complete does not leach anything to the water and contains minimum nutrients but does have a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) this means that it will absorb nutrients from the water column. This combined with your tropica nutrient dosing will make the for a good planted tank substrate.

Good luck and keep us informed of progress!

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2019, 10:05:04 AM »
Ok, so having slept on this, I've decided to just wait. And pay lots of "clean water" attention to the little tank in the meantime. (As in, monitoring.)

So I redid the tests this morning on the big tank. There is some ammonia showing, but it's hard to say  how much it is because the color on the ammonia dipstick does not match the color chart. But the fact that it has changed and is not extremely dark tells me there is some in there.

The nitrites and nitrates are still very high, on the dipstick test. So I assume that whatever bacteria have grown are nomming on the ammonia, if the plants aren't grabbing it. Something is feeding the nitrite bacteria. And the fact that there are nitrates means at least some nitrite-nomming bacteria are growing? And that eventually the nitrites will drop off.  Does that tend to happen all at once, or is it a slow drop-off over a period of many days?

Not having done this without fish in a planted tank before, would it be reasonable to assume that in a week I should possibly see a reduction in nitrites?  Once I get to no nitrites and no ammonia, I can test the cycle by adding a bit of pure ammonia, right? If it gets gobbled in 24 hours I can do a major water change and start adding the corys a few at a time, over a period of time? (Testing daily, of course.)

[I have the test-tube version of the water testing kit ordered and it should be in next week. I really find it hard to use the dipstick tests for any sort of accurate reading, although if they change color at all it tells me there is some kind of problem.]

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2019, 11:23:34 AM »
Ok, the test-tube API kit came today. I ran everything twice. In some cases it was between colors.

Ph 6.4 to 6.6
Ammonia .5 to 1.0
Nitrite 5.00ppm - very intense color
Nitrate .5 ppm

So I guess it is still cycling.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Need to buy a new tank - need recommendations"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
21 Replies
Last post March 23, 2018, 02:33:19 PM
by Hampalong
9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2015, 11:58:19 AM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 08:51:06 AM
by Sue
33 Replies
Last post November 27, 2018, 07:26:34 PM
by jaypeecee
10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2019, 04:50:47 PM
by daveyng
10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2019, 07:10:03 AM
by Littlefish
20 Replies
Last post April 11, 2021, 08:14:18 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: