My New Tank.

Author Topic: My New Tank.  (Read 7170 times) 13 replies

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
My New Tank.
« on: June 05, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All.

Sorry, but I just had to gloat about my new "purchase" and ask a few questions please (again  :D )

If any of you have read my previous posts, you will see that I bought a complete aquarium set up (including fish) on ebay about 10 days ago, so I am very much a newbie. After going on this site and forum it soon became apparent that my 60 (possibly 64) litre tank was not suited to amount of fish and the types of fish included.

I therefore started searching on ebay for a larger tank, but they all went for too much (I'm unemployed and on a very limited budget) or they were too far away. I was looking at my local "freebies" site (similar to freecycle yesterday when this popped up.

"Large fish tank and stand - tank is fine and sound but stand has seen better days. Light in working order with brand new bulb. None of the contents included apart from black gravel." That was cut and pasted.

I couldn't believe it. Exactly what I was looking for. I got my "Yes please" reply in within 30 seconds. I was first and am now the proud  owner of a 100cm, 150 litre tank. It was only 3 miles from me and it was FREE!!!!!

Now to the questions.

It was being used up until last week, but could still do with a clean. I'm sure that there is a right and a wrong way to do this. Any advice?

I will need to get a filter and a heater. My old ones aren't up to the job and I want to keep the old tank going anyway. Any advice on which are best? Remember I am on a limited budget. External filter I assume? I have seen someone selling new heaters on ebay for £9.99 postfree, with a choice of 50w, 100w, 200w or 300w. Not sure how to tag them, but the item number is 330915914736. They don't seem to state a make. Can these be any good?

Once I have these I can start a fishless cycle.

Thank you for listening to my indulgence and in anticipation of the usual excellent  and friendly advice.

Many thanks,
Ian.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: My New Tank.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »
Well done on the tank!

Heaters - personally, I wouldn't go for the cheapest. If it fails, they can stick in the on position and boil your fish. The other thing that puts me off that one on ebay is the length of the flex. It's only 25 inches. It has to go from the top of the heater to the edge of the tank, down the tank and stand, and to the socket. Would that be long enough? My tanks run on multisockets and with that one I'd have to use an extension lead to get it to reach the multisocket.

Filters - externals are best for bigger tanks. You can often pick them up on ebay second hand as well. If you do this, check any rubber seals as they are the first things to go with an external. They can usually be replaced quite cheaply. All Pond Solutions externals are some of the cheapest to buy new, though with them the flow rate is a lot less than the box says so go for a higher rated one. (I should explain that most manufacturers quote the flow rate of an empty filter. Once there is media inside, the flow rate drops off and some makes drop off quite a lot. Eheim is one make that does quote the flow rate for a full filter)
Internals would need to quite beefy to cope with 150 litres, something like Eheim biopower (the 200 is supposed to be big enough though I run the 240 in my 125 litre tank) or a Fluval U4.

Check the stand very carefully if it "has seen better days". That is an awful lot of water to end up on your floor in the stand collapses. 150 litres of water weighs 150kg, and there's the weight of the tank to add on. Will the stand cope with that?

TigzFish

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »
Sorry, but I just had to gloat about my new "purchase"

Nicely done, bitten by the bug early.  8)

It was being used up until last week, but could still do with a clean. I'm sure that there is a right and a wrong way to do this. Any advice?

First thing is remember not to use any form of detergent on the inside/outside of the tank, or introduce anything that has had any of the same on it (like buckets, cleaning pads, cloths etc etc).

Detergents can be very potent and terminal to fish (from what I have read).  I have seen mention of "aquarium safe" vinegar solutions for outside the tank, and use of bleach for the inside.  I have never used either and have been quite happy with algae scraper pads and dedicated cleaning sponges (plain ones with no added chemicals).

Plain water, elbow grease and lots of rinsing is my own preferred method... which reminds me I have a 64ltr tank to close down and clean out before weekend too.

Free tank... I'm jealous, really well done you!  ;D

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
Hi Sue.

Thank you. I could have guessed that you would be the first to reply.

Thanks for the advice.

I am watching a few filters on ebay at the moment, but will only be able to get one straight away if it is an absolute bargain. Perhaps a freebie site might come to my rescue.  :D

I think this will have to be an ongoing project as and when I can afford to buy anything. I had to give up eating for 2 weeks to be able to afford my my first tank.  ;)  (me that is, not my fish).

The stand is quite stable. It's more cosmetic issues. A loose door hinge and the back coming off. I realise that it will be heavy (the tank and gravel were quite heavy with no water in). I am currently rearranging my furniture so that it can go in a corner next to two load bearing walls. The tank will take priority. Everything else will have to fit around it.  :)

Thanks for the cleaning advice Dave. Just spotted it. And yes, I have the bug already.

Many thanks,
Ian.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
Count to ten, slowly. I'd just typed out a reply, tried to post and "connection problems" and it's all gone. Aaarrrghhhhh!!!!!

Cleaning.
Elbow grease as Dave says.
Limescale (hard water deposits) - vinegar or lemon juice being careful to avoid the corner sealant. Rinse well.
To sterilise if necessary - supermarket basic range bleach (the stuff that costs a few pence) diluted 1:9 with water or babies' bottle sterlising solution diluted as per instructions. Afterwards, rinse rinse rinse then soak in water that's been overdosed with dechlorinator.
Really stubborn, dried on algae - razor blade.

I'm now going to copy this post in case I get "connection problems" again!!!!!!!!

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »
I can't quite believe this, but I am getting ANOTHER tank for free.

My sister has a friend who wants to give up the hobby and was looking to offload her tank. I went and had a look this morning. It is an old 4ft tank and I guess between 150 and 200 litres. It comes with filter, heater, ornaments and numerous spares that I haven't actually seen yet.

It also comes with about 40 guppies, some of which are probably pregnant. How easy is it to get rid of them and what is the best way? (Find a mug like me to take them off your hands I guess). I can see myself getting overun if I don't thin them down a bit. Do pet shops take them off you? Can I offer them on fish forums? Facebook maybe? Any advice?

I haven't picked it up yet, but I always value the advice that I have been given on here.

Many thanks, Ian.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »
Wow, lucky you!!!

It'll be hard to find a shop to take guppies as they can get them so cheap. If you do try to sell them you'll need to charge less than the cheapest shop. You'll probably have to give them away I'm afraid. Try freecycle, gumtree etc if you don't mind giving them away. The website aquarist classifieds for giving away or a small charge but be careful, I have heard stories about trojans from this site.
There is a sale section on here (marketplace, right down the bottom) but it doesn't get much traffic. You could try other forums but some won't let you use the sales section until you've made a certain number of posts.
I don't use facebook so I've no idea about that.

Edit - just to remind you if you decide to keep some females - they can carry sperm for up to six months so if there are any males in with them, you'll get fry even with just females. And also if you decide to keep a few of each sex, you need at least twice as many females as males. Of course, you can keep just males. No harrassing females, no fry......

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
Hi Sue.

Thanks for that.

I wasn't planning on charging. I just wanted to give a few away. I was hoping to get down to about a dozen or so, so I could transfer my larger fish to this larger tank. They appear to be compatable.

I could also transfer some to my first tank as well. Just want to keep a managable number. There is a facebook group where people can sell pets in S.E. Kent (I'm in Folkestone), so might try that. As it stands the tank is nearly at 100% capacity with just the guppies!!!!!!

I'm not sure what to do with the other tank that I was given. I'm supposed to be getting some spare heaters etc., so I might even end up with all three up and running. If not, I will probably give it away. It's not really fair to charge for it, because I was given it.   

Just one final thought. How much electricity does the average tank set up use?

Thank you.

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 04:20:30 PM »
Hi Ian,

How wonderful!  Another tank,,,,very contagious, this fish tank business, isn't it? ;D  Sue is very accurate when she says how much guppes can breed.  If they are anything like platys...and I believe they are in that way, you will end up with millions of the little blighters! ??? I only had two female platys and they have just kept on having babies. I notice now, that two of the older babies that escaped capture, are looking decidedly plump!  I have been lucky in that my LFS are happy to take them off of my hands...I am 99% sure in order to sell them and not, I hope, to provide a tasty snack for their huge piranha!

Anyway, don't forget pics for us.  I am going to have another go myself this evening to put up some pics of my fishies.  I have had very limited time this past week and the couple of attempts I made didn't work...so fingers crossed!

Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 07:26:20 PM »
To work out the running costs -
The filter is on 24/7, so look at the watts. Divide 1000 by filter watts and that's the number of hours it'll take to use 1 unit of electricty. Then multiply up to find the number of units per week or month. The price of a unit should be on the electric bill.
Lights - again you know how many hours the light is on. The watts on the tube.
The heater is a bit trickier because it switches on and off. In hot weather it won't be on as much as in cold weather.
Water - if you are on a water meter, water changes will cost. Don't they charge by the cubic metre? 1 cu m = 1000 litres.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 07:50:09 PM »
Thanks Resa and Sue.

Re: Running costs. I think I'll just wait and see what my bill is!!!!

I'm not on a water meter, so that doesn't apply.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
I'm so jealous! I really want a new bigger tank :-(

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
Hi Jesnon.

I've been really lucky just recently. I keep being in the right place at the right time. I have also managed to buy a 10 month old sofa and archair for £10.50 on ebay and get given a relatively new double bed from someone who was moving from the flat below me.   :D

If you are ever likely to be in Folkestone, Kent, I could well be giving away the previous tank that I got given, but it looks like you are some way away from me.

With regard my luck, would be great if someone would give me a job. lol.  :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »
Re running costs:

1 Watt running for 1 year costs about £1

Simples   8)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My New Tank."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 08:25:31 PM
by Etienne
19 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 09:59:36 AM
by jesnon
6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2013, 07:26:58 PM
by Resa
13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2013, 04:27:21 PM
by engineer_tom
14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 07:22:13 PM
by Kirstos
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: