My LED Light Solution

Author Topic: My LED light solution  (Read 7597 times) 19 replies

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
My LED light solution
« on: August 21, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I recently removed the Glo-Sun tube from my 60L tank as it was heating the water to silly levels.  Instead I put in some LED strips and thought you might like to see the effect and how it was achieved.

I bought some waterproof self-adhesive LED strips and a 12v driver from ebay.  I got one Cool White and one Warm White strip as I reckon it gives the same colour tone as the Glo-Sun tube. 

The old fittings for the tube inside the lid were sawn off with a junior hacksaw (so no going back) and the LED strips stuck down instead with the wires fed through into the dry electics section.  I replaced the neon gubbins with the LED driver, sealed everything up with some king British aquarium sealant and the job was done.  The worst bit was removing the sealed down top cover to the electrics section to be honest, everything else was a breeze.

Anyhoo, here's the result after a bit of extra tweaking to add some switches so that I can run the two colours separately if I want.

First up, the warm white LEDs, then the cool white, then both together.

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
Re: My LED light solution
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »
And here's what it looks like from inside.  Inside the lid was a lot neater, but then I added two switches which makes it look more complicated than it actually is.

Offline Gaynor

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »
My hubby will be very interested in your pics Ken, our lights are fine for the moment but who knows when they will go, and he loves fiddling with electrics and gadgets.  :)

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:36:18 PM »
He sounds like a man with my own tastes Gaynor.  ;D

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:28:45 PM »
These LED strips will probably be insufficient light on their own if you grow real plants. It looks like your tank contains artificial plants so you will be fine.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:09:04 PM »
You're right Steve of course, and I did consider at one stage whether to have real plants but decided against it.  If I hadn't I wouldn't have switched to LEDs.  I still have the notes I made before making my mind up, with all the different neon tube types listed.   :)

Mind you, there's always the option of adding more LEDs if I change my mind as the driver can handle them and there's plenty of room.     ;) 

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
That looks really good! I love DIY stuff like that.... especially with the little frisson of the electricity+water combo to keep you on your toes  ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 10:43:16 AM »
Thanks Colin. 
Me too - sometimes I get a real buzz out of it.   ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
Groan.... it seems we have another bright spark on the forum now ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
Sorry Resa - I couldn't resist it...

Offline ColinB

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 01:44:18 PM »
...it's not his volt, it's a current problem.

Time to go ohm. ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 02:27:57 PM »
Watt are you guys like? Joule be sorry for behaving like this....
Sometimes, it really hertz me to be on this site.... I don't know weber I'll bother coming back  ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
Oh dear! The puns are killing me!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »
I think we've phased Jesnon! It's difficult to remain neutral, but she's re-fused to join in.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
Ohm my goodness, some real live wires today! We'll all have to come back down to earth soon.

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 03:33:13 PM »
The way some people conduct themselves is beyond me ;D

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »
I'm shocked at the depths to which this thread has deteriorated and would be de-lighted if it would stop... Now.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »
Ok Steve...I can't play anymore anyway :( I've got to go out with the other fishies in my life now...the ones I'm not nearly as nice to.....they get an oil change rather than a water one ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
I've got to go out, too.... it's circuit training this evening. ;D

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 04:25:25 PM »
Oh dear - watt have a started?   ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My LED light solution"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 12:58:43 AM
by Resa
16 Replies
Last post January 14, 2015, 04:13:12 PM
by Cod_only_knows
4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2016, 01:07:22 PM
by Paddyc
0 Replies
Last post September 18, 2016, 09:01:44 AM
by michael01
3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 05:31:49 PM
by Matt
7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2018, 08:45:38 PM
by Bazza2000
1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2019, 05:27:54 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: