LED Lights Brightness

Author Topic: LED Lights Brightness  (Read 8665 times) 22 replies

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
LED Lights Brightness
« on: February 27, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello everyone.

My new tank came with the Aqueal LEDDY 6 watt LED lighting tube. The tank is 60cm x 30cm x 30 cm (54 litre). The manufacturer states that the LEDDY SUNNY emits a strong light with a spectrum closely similar to sunlight. The light is nice and bright in the centre of the tank but there is quite a lot of shadow/darkness at the side. My query is will this be sufficient for plant growth? The light unit is 28 cm long and the tank is 60cm long and the actual LED beam is about 10cm long, to me it seems not powerful or at least not long enough for the tank. I'll attach a photo of the tank to give everyone an idea of the light. I personally don't mind the lighting levels I'm just worried about the plants on the edges of the tank.

Plants in tank:

Vallis
Amazon Sword(ordered)
Java Moss
Sagittaria Subulata
Hairgrass
Cabomba
Ludwigia
Bacopa

Technical specifications for the light are as follows:

Product                                Color temperature [K ]   Energy [W]   Product dimmensions [mm]

LEDDY TUBE 6 W                            6500                           6                     284x62x32

Thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: LED Lights Brightness
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 02:13:48 PM »
That does sound a bit small. I've downloaded the instructions and the light tube looks ridiculously small for the size if the tank. I know that lighting is more than just the length, we need to look at the PAR rating for LEDs, but even if the PAR was enough it is only above a small section of the tank.

To be honest I think I'd replace it. Looking at the diagram in the less than optimal instructions it looks as though the tube clips into the lid and the wire goes out through a cutout in the lid. If that's what it does actually look like it should be easy enough to replace the tube.
For example, in my 60cm long tank I have a Superfish 450mm T8-replacement LED which is growing my plants very well. Have a look at page 32 here http://www.superfish.nl/brochures/Superfish/WEB_SF_AquariumBrochure_GB.pdf Since you wouldn't need the plastic clips to fit one into fluorescent lamp holders, if the clips in your lid are too small to hold a 1 inch diameter tube, you could get away with the 550mm T5-replacement tube (5/8 inch diameter)

There are other makes as well, have a look round and see what you can find.

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 02:42:22 PM »
I thought it was under powered. I'll do a bit of research an replace it. Thanks again for your help Sue. That's probably the problem with buying a tank with all the equipment. The filter is oversized and the lighting is undersized. ::)

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 05:24:08 PM »
Just to update. I now have a 38cm LED light bar. There was still not enough light from the new one so I managed to fit both LEDs  into the cover (the original LED fits into clips in the hood and the new one came with sucker clips). The new LED has white LEDs and some blue LEDs. The combination of blue and white seem to make the plants and fish look much more vibrant. Also the manufacturers both claim the lights are totally waterproof and submersible. I'm not sure

I'm hoping this is enough light for the plants to flourish, it certainly looks much brighter.  :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 06:00:57 PM »
Let's have a photo! ;)

I use a Blue LED as a moonlight but I do leave it on during the day too and it really does help make the colours of the Cardinal Tetras and the male Apisto pop!

I've just ordered 3m of LED lights on a flexible strip, the kind you fit under your kitchen units in order to increase the light on my tank. I plan on cutting it into 4x 75cm strips.

I'll post before and after pics when I've installed it.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 06:12:19 PM »
Blind, have you given any thought to using mirrored sides to your tank? It's something I might have a look into in the future to capture the light lost through the side glass... Maybe not taking up the whole ends of the tank, maybe just the full height of the tank but only from the back edge extending halfway towards the forward edge...

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 06:13:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 07:02:29 PM »
I have couple of small LEDs that say they are submersible (a white one for the quarantine tank and a blue one that comes on shortly before the main tank's light goes out and stays on for about an hour as the room lights are out by then). The white one is a replacement the company sent me after I used the first one under water and it filled up with water. They said the individual LEDs were waterproof but then they stopped working one by one so they replaced it.

I would not use them underwater no matter what the blurb says.

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 08:19:19 PM »
Extreme_One, photo to follow, I had a bit of palaver last time re-sizing the image and I can't quite remember how I did it.

I like the idea of the mirror sides sides Paddyc. I have some radiator foil. You know that stuff that's foam backed silver foil that you stick behind your radiators to reflect heat, it may work? Depends on whether it shows up at the sides as it could look a bit naff. At the moment, looking directly at the front of the tank the sides are mirrored to what is in the tank, so it could work.  :-\

I would not use them underwater no matter what the blurb says.

Sue, I'm quite happy to follow your advice again, especially with electricity and water.

Thanks all, I will post a photo soon and update you on the cycling. :)[quote author=Sue

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 08:24:51 PM »
I would try the foil before getting anything more expensive. Some fish don't deal well with mirrored surfaces as they see another fish invading their territory. If you don't have any territorial fish it should be OK. If the foil works well, you could then think about changing it for something more substantial.

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »
Just for reference the foil didn't, to my eyes, make any difference to the amount of light reflected back into the tank :(

I'm can't really remember my o level science (physics?) about reflection of light etc but looking directly at the tank from the front the inner sides of the tank are mirroring the tank anyway (without silver foil). I always wondered about that as a kid and still don't understand it now.I know light is refracted in water but this is something else??? I'm quite possibly out of my depth on this one so anyone with a greater knowledge maybe could explain as in the mirroring effect inside an aquarium. I reckon it's the light above, but why?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 07:56:43 AM »
FWIW I added some reflective tape to the inside of my tank lid yesterday.

I think it has increased brightness a little, but it could be a placebo.

I wish I had a light meter to check it definitively.

However, it stands to reason that there will be more photons traveling down towards the plants now instead of leeching away being wasted, so I'm happy.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »
Reading this with interest as the bulb in the 55l tank I'm setting up for the shrimps is kaputt, I'd rather use an LED bulb in it.

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 01:56:49 PM »
That's the size of my tank Fiona. I'm still not happy with the amount of light as it is not a wide beam. The tank is 60cm x 30cmx30cm. I think I need a 50 cm LED light bar with white LEDs along the entire length or maybe two? I'll wait until I see how Extreme_One gets on with the flexible LED. I'm just hoping it's enough for the plants. I've had quite a lot of leaves yellowing/browning and the vallis has melted completely :(. It may be just shock after transport as the whole set up is just over 2 weeks old.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 02:14:21 PM »
Don't be disheartened, plants have a strange way of coming back to surprise you after you think it's all over.
 :)

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 06:18:16 PM »
I hope so.  :)

I'm going away tomorrow (Friday) until Sunday evening so I dusted off some old timers and have set the lights for 12 hours on and 12 off. On a side note can anyone advise feeding. Will the neons, wm minnows and lampeyes be OK with no food for 48 hours? I'm still cycling so I don't want to add one of those blocks and I don't (as yet) have an automated feeder. They're fed once a day, an amount eaten in approximately one minute.

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 06:43:18 PM »
Fish can go for a week or more without food. As you are still cycling, not feeding them will cut down the amount of ammonia they make which is a good thing.
The blocks are not really a good idea as they put too much food into the tank, and it has been known to come back and find the whole tank covered in a white layer of the fillers they make the block from.
As for autofeeders, always test them before your holiday. Some have been known to malfunction and dump all the food in at once, others allow moisture in which makes the food go sticky and then it won't fall into the tank at all.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 07:07:50 PM »
Vallis especially the twisted form which I have yet to succeed with, does have a tendency to melt off sometimes but it should grow back, the trick with it is to plant it deep and then gently lift it until just the roots are in the substrate.  Don't be surprised if the hairgrass fails, that needs CO2 to thrive really.

I love the open rocked area, I might nick that idea for my shrimpery  ;)

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 08:28:38 PM »
I shall let them fend for themselves Sue, I figured they'd be alright for a couple of days but was just checking. I'll do a 50% water change before I go just to be on the safe side. That other thread regarding automatic feeders you suggest the fish will be alright for 7-10 days without food? I'm never away for more than that so I'm probably going to go with the no feed method.

Fiona, the vallis still has substance in the substrate so I'm thinking it will return if conditions are right. Ive split the hairgrass into individual plants and have spread them out over the substrate. I'm testing the waters with plants to see what works. My guess Is some will not be suitable and some will, much like gardening.

Thanks for the compliments regarding the tank, I sort of made it up as I went along, I originally had a slab of Purbeck stone in there propped up with other pebbles to form a cave but I was given some slate and it looks good in the tank. I banked the sand up to the back to give depth and I may get some more slate to raise the structure and make more hidey holes for the salt and pepper corys I hope to get in the future. Once the plants establish themselves the structure will improve.

Problem is I'm already planning my second and possibly third tank....in my dreams ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 08:31:47 PM »
I shall let them fend for themselves Sue, I figured they'd be alright for a couple of days but was just checking. I'll do a 50% water change before I go just to be on the safe side. That other thread regarding automatic feeders you suggest the fish will be alright for 7-10 days without food? I'm never away for more than that so I'm probably going to go with the no feed method.

I wouldn't risk more than 7 days with small fish, but some of the bigger ones - I'm talking 4 to 5 inches or more - will be OK for 10.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "LED Lights Brightness"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 02:37:57 PM
by Resa
7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 03:58:54 PM
by dbaggie
3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 09:23:19 AM
by naughtymoose
6 Replies
Last post January 06, 2015, 03:59:16 PM
by Aquamaid
7 Replies
Last post November 12, 2016, 06:36:23 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2018, 11:13:02 AM
by TopCookie
9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2019, 09:53:17 PM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: