LED Lighting Problem

Author Topic: LED lighting problem  (Read 28631 times) 10 replies

Offline Mysticpanda

• Tropical Fish FTW!
LED lighting problem
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:02:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone,

Relatively new fish tank owner here, so please be kind! I searched through the forum's but could find nothing to help so thought I'd better ask.

We've had our fish tank for about 3 months now, and we've had no major issues until today. We have a Love Fish Panorama 40l, with the 2 LED lighting strips that it comes with, set up for tropical fish. Now for some reason our lights have decided to not work. Both sets! I'm don't think it can be a wiring or fuse issue as the internal filter the tank comes with is still working fine, and they operate off of the same power pack. 

It's been suggested that it could simply be condensation causing a problem, but if so I'd like to know if you guys have any advice for how to deal with that/help prevention in future.

thanks in advance

Ed

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Three Spot Gourami (5) - Rummy Nose Tetra (1) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: LED lighting problem
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:57:24 PM »
Hi Mysticpanda :wave:

Welcome to the Forum!
I'm afraid I can't help you with your problem as I know less than nothing about LED lighting, but one of the guys will know, and I'm sure will have some ideas for you. Hope you get sorted out.
What fishies have you got? Have you got any pics? We're really nosey on here ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 11:16:27 AM »
Hello, and welcome to the forum, Ed.

This all depends on how good you are at tracing electrical problems. For them both to go then you need to find the electrical feed at them and work back towards something that you know is working. This may be an electrical connector. Pull/push everything. Disconnect/connect connector etc. WITH THE POWER OFF!!!! Then switch back on.

If it's a condensation problem then the tank is 'not fit for purpose' as it's designed to hold water - so go back to the shop and explain/complain.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Mysticpanda

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:01:06 PM »
Thanks guys, feel very welcome here already!

Resa: thanks for your message. No worries, I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it soon enough. We're keeping a mixture of 3 spot/opaline/golden Gourami's who are great fun to watch. They seem to have a lot of character. No pics as yet but as soon as we do, I'll make sure to share them!

ColinB: thanks for the reply! I have a basic understanding of electrical issues, and I feel I know the most important lesson, which is, as you rightly remind anyone attempting to fix things themselves; DON'T WORK WITH THE POWER ON! I've gone over the connections this afternoon and couldn't feel/see evidence for condensation on them, but I gave them a drying off anyway. I've taken the dead strips out and will give them a chance to dry further before further testing. I didn't have long enough to try much else due to parenting and having guests over, so I installed a spare LED strip for the time being until I can get time to do more investigating. It may well be that the tank set up is simply not good enough, you're right, but I would like to try what fixes I can first, as our fish seem to like their home.

I shall put up any updates as I go until I have a solution

thanks again

Ed

Offline Mysticpanda

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:54:24 PM »
Update!

Had some time today to take a closer look at the issue. I've worked out that it is the switch circuit board the lights operate through that seems to not be working. There was no build up of condensation or water in it, and there do not appear to be any loose connections on the circuit board.

Anyone have advice on circuit boards? I will be taking the offending unit back to the shop to get a replacement or get it fixed regardless as I have no idea what to do on my own!

thanks for your help guys

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 09:43:12 PM »
Anyone have advice on circuit boards? I will be taking the offending unit back to the shop to get a replacement or get it fixed regardless as I have no idea what to do on my own!
Since you have no idea what you are doing, the best advice I can give you is leave it alone. It will be, at least partially, mains electricity. It can be deadly! Just take it back to the shop, let them deal with it.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Mysticpanda

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
thanks for the concern SteveS, but as I said earlier I know enough to not have anything connected to a power source while working on it, I just don't know enough about circuitry to fix a circuit board!

I am 100% certain it is not a mains issue as I have tested (safely) all of the connections either side of the switch unit, and all are working fine, this is how I can be certain it is the switch house and is either the cabling or circuitry. Either way I cannot fix that myself so I will be taking it to the shop.

I stress again to anyone else having electrical problems that they should heed SteveS advice, and leave it alone if you don't know what you're doing.

Offline fdm

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 11:45:11 PM »
Hi,

Fellow newbie here!

Bought the same tank today and I now have the same problem.
For information, I *think* the problem is a blown capacitor in the switch unit.

I've done some research online, and got the toolkit out.

Firstly .. this is low voltage kit! However, please don't try this at home kids unless you are with a responsible adult! ;)

The tank lid takes a 15V AC input, which outputs two sockets. One for the filter/pump and one for the switch unit.
The pump works in both sockets, so power to those is fine.
The switch unit appears to convert 15v AC to ( I assume ) 12v dc for the led strips, as that's what the interpet units appear to run on, and they look identical.
Plugging a led strip into the 15vac outlet ( not recommended! ) sets them to flash brightly, seeming to confirm the above.

Taking the switch unit apart there isn't much to it. Just a largeish heatsunk transistor, a couple of caps and the switches and resistors. It's unlikely that the resistors or transistor have gone, which leaves the 470uf/25v caps. Caps *do* blow :P

The 'monthly reminder' unit that *also* plugs into this works, but the led lights are a lot dimmer.

All the above is conjecture, but it makes sense to me.

I *may* just manufacture my own led power sources from the gazillion of transformers in the loft. The inbuilt switches won't work unless I re-solder my stuff onto them but hey .. I can live with that!

I don't think I can be bothered to drain it all and take it back. I've already been back once to exchange a smaller (and faulty) tank for this one, and the staff at pets-at-home were actually super helpful for the record.

Anyways, sorry I don't have a solution, but you're not alone ! :)

Going to leave the tank for a couple of weeks to settle. First fish tank for us, so we need to do some thinking on what we're going to put in there :)

Take care!

fdm

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:38:15 AM »
The problem is that the circuit you are describing does not sound like an AC/DC rectifier to me. It sounds more like a voltage stabiliser. LEDs are diodes and don't actually need a DC supply. They are however, rather finicky about voltages.  Any solid state component, transistor, capacitor or resistor, can fail... but capacitors are more likely to fail in "closed-circuit". Transistors and resistors in "open-circuit". My money would be on the transistor, but I wouldn't wager very much of it, I don't know enough. I repeat my advice above, leave it alone and take it back to the shop. You don't have to drain your tank, just take the hood back. It may be a low-voltage system, but it can still cause a lot of damage. You may reduce the risk of electrocution, but there are other ways electricity can kill you!

However, with 2 failures amongst our rather small sample, I have placed the Lovefish Panorama 40L on my list of products to avoid.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline fdm

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 08:51:47 AM »
Hi Steve!

> However, with 2 failures amongst our rather small sample, I have placed the Lovefish Panorama 40L on my list of products to avoid.

To be fair, I did a big google search and this was the only forum I could find of an issue with this tank and system.
I specifically joined the forum to add information to this post, so I wouldn't include me in that sample by default ... :)

Anyways, thanks for the additional information!

Rgds

fdm

Offline fdm

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 10:40:20 PM »
Just to say that I detached the lid and took it back today for a replacement.

In the end, we just swapped out the switch unit, with the help of the toolkit out the car :)

All sorted now and hoping for no recurrences!

Fdm

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "LED lighting problem"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post November 28, 2012, 04:17:57 PM
by Mervyn
33 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 01:14:50 PM
by Mad_BMS
5 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 09:18:44 PM
by biffster
20 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 07:11:22 AM
by Sanjo
16 Replies
Last post January 14, 2015, 04:13:12 PM
by Cod_only_knows
17 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 06:30:54 PM
by Emmdee
0 Replies
Last post February 13, 2018, 12:44:46 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: