Keeping A Betta Fish ? Nano

Author Topic: keeping a betta fish ? nano  (Read 4493 times) 8 replies

Offline Biggy1988

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
keeping a betta fish ? nano
« on: March 26, 2016, 08:55:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi all iv got a Aqua Nano 30L tank iv had it set up for a few weeks and me and the misses have said we would like to have a betta in there.

would this be ok ?  I.E  the water  has a good flow in there and as you will no all the filter  ect  is built in the back.

onlt thing  when i put the light on today to check it out  the surfce  of the water had like a blue film on it

what  would this be and im sure i would need to get that clear befor i do right ?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: keeping a betta fish ? nano
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 09:07:09 PM »
The film on the water is easily removed. Turn the filter off and let the water stop moving. Then carefully lay a paper/kitchen towel flat on the water, pick it up at one end and drag it across the surface to the side of the tank and lift out. Repeat till it's gone.

Provided the tank is cycled is there have been fish in the tank or you've done a fishless cycle with ammonia, the tank is fine for a betta. But look at the speed of the water coming out of the filter. Betta's don't like fast moving water because with those big fins it is hard for them to swim against a current. There are ways to slow the current down.
I think other members have Aquanano tanks and should be able to advise you on slowing the filter outflow.

Offline Biggy1988

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
o right thats easy done then

and yea the tank has had no fish at all 

Offline Biggy1988

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:35:48 PM »
 can anyone with a tank like mine give me some advice on slowing the pump down ?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:51:03 PM »
I don't have that tank, but was wondering if it has a built in filter or separate filter? What does the filter outflow look like? If it doesn't have a way to reduce the flow on the filter you can try some other options. Does it have a spray bar that you could turn towards the glass to reduce water movement? Putting plants (real or artificial) in front of outflow disrupts water flow as well. Or attaching a small amount of filter sponge to the outflow - but this would have to be checked on a very regular basis and might not look nice.
I also keep axolotls, which really don't appreciate a lot of water movement, and the above are some suggestions I saw on the axolotl forum to deal with the problem.
 :)

Offline Biggy1988

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 02:25:30 AM »
it is a pump that has suckers on and the outlet  comes throught the was seperating the back compartment . it does have a  volume to turn down but still a lot of water movement 

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 08:05:43 AM »
No problem. Try reducing the water movement using a few ways described above. Let us know how you get on, post a few pictures, and we'll try to help.
 :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 10:09:29 AM »
and yea the tank has had no fish at all

So you've done a fishless cycle then?

Otherwise I don't think it would be a good idea to cycle the tank with a Betta in.

Those that still insist on doing a fish-in cycle tend to use a few small cheap fish. I personally find the practice cruel and immoral.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »
Just to clarify / add to the comments above in case there is any confusion, a tank - or, more specifically, the filter - needs to go through a period of preparation before it is ready to deal/cope with processing fish waste. As the filter hasn't been in a tank with fish in it, then the link that ExtremeOne posted to will give you all the details on how to get it ready to that stage. Maybe this is what you've already been doing, but, if not, then people on here will be able to help you during that process, if you keep us updated on how you're going with it. Once that process is complete (4-6 weeks usually), then your tank will be ready for fish such as a betta.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "keeping a betta fish ? nano "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
New to fish keeping

Started by Resa « 1 2 ... 8 9 » New Fishkeepers

171 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 07:59:29 AM
by ColinB
6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 10:21:11 AM
by jimbo1goey
3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 12:10:18 PM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
by biffster
7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 06:53:47 PM
by Cod_only_knows
2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 07:34:36 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 08:34:13 AM
by ColinB

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: