JBL I80 CristalProfi Greenline Filter - How To Address Its 'floating' Problem

Author Topic: JBL i80 CristalProfi Greenline filter - how to address its 'floating' problem  (Read 3221 times) 1 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've mentioned previously that I have this filter and its problem of floating out from the corner of the tank, and which I've rectified with magnets. For anyone else who finds themself in this situation, the following is how I addressed it:

(1) The first ‘mistake’ (but NB see later) I did was to buy one of these https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/4654/jbl-cp-i-magnetic-holder, thinking it would solve the problem if I stuck it on the outside of the tank. However, there was no magnet part on the filter itself, so I contacted JBL to ask about this – it transpired that this was made for an earlier, non-Greenline, model of the filter than the one I had. [However, see (3).]

(2) Instead, I bought one of these https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/zoo-med-magclip-magnetic-suction-cups-(online-only) but these are not strong enough in their own right, despite being advertised as industrial strength. [However, see (4).]

(3) Next, I contacted several companies and First4Magnets.com Customer Care Team (Juan was my very helpful adviser) contacted their engineers, etc, who suggested this https://www.first4magnets.com/circular-disc-rod-c34/21-5mm-dia-x-11-4mm-thick-rubber-coated-n42-neodymium-magnet-9-9kg-pull-p11183#ps_1-10642 or this https://www.first4magnets.com/circular-disc-rod-c34/21-5mm-dia-x-11-4mm-thick-rubber-coated-n42-neodymium-magnet-9-9kg-pull-p11183#ps_1-10642 . I ordered one of each. These were based on the weight of the CristalProfi i80 filter of 2 baskets weighing 499g and my aquarium glass thickness being 5mm. Both are equally good and sit inside the lower of the 2 filter baskets (one on each ‘side’) and attach to the JBL magnetic holder on the outside of the tank.

(4) In the upper of the 2 filter baskets, I use the ZooMed mag-clip flat part, with the corresponding ‘lid’ part on the outside of the glass. This is for added security but it’s not particularly strong and certainly wouldn’t be sufficient in its own right.

(5) With the magnets in the lower baskets pulling the filter in snugly against the glass, the uppermost part of the filter (containing the impeller and outflow pipe) sits comparatively less snugly against the glass – in part due to the presence of the suction cups. As some of my inhabitants had a tendency to squeeze themselves behind the filter, I slide filter wool/sponge in the side of this uppermost section using aquascaping tweezers – a bit of a faff every fortnightly filter maintenance, as is the removal and re-positioning of the magnets and attempts not to injure myself in the process as they certainly are of industrial strength!

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
...However, there was no magnet part on the filter itself, so I contacted JBL to ask about this – it transpired that this was made for an earlier, non-Greenline, model of the filter than the one I had.

Hi @fcmf

The non-Greenline i80 is what I have. The magnet design, as one would hope, works well. Why JBL got rid of it, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the Greenline model design. As I've said elsewhere, I don't currently use the i80. After perhaps 18 months' use, it was ridiculously noisy caused by - you guessed it - impeller noise. Poor design of the impeller chamber.

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "JBL i80 CristalProfi Greenline filter - how to address its 'floating' problem"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
by Wild Rover
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 08:44:28 AM
by Richard W
8 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
by sunshine
5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 10:42:53 PM
by Gabriel
13 Replies
Last post August 22, 2017, 09:44:22 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2018, 10:34:59 PM
by fcmf
30 Replies
Last post June 22, 2018, 10:40:37 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: