Author Topic: Snails  (Read 3018 times) 6 replies

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Snails
« on: March 24, 2017, 08:22:01 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Morning, I was giving my filter a clean and found an infestation of tiny snails. This in itself isn't an issue, unless you tell me differently ie it is eating my good bacteria!

When I restarted my filter (I cover the opening with a net to catch anything) out came a few of the snails. I haven't seen any in the tank yet.

Do I need to panic re filter media?

thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Snails
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
Snails in a tank are not a bad thing, they are actually beneficial. But not too many of them. And if they are in the filter, they will be in the tank unless you have a species of fish that will eat them in the tank.
The snails that arrive in the tank without you buying them are usually the small flat spirals (a type of ramshorn) and the ones called pest, pond, tadpole and bladder snails, depending on where you read it. (The latter are usually a species of physid)

The main cause of too many snails is over feeding the fish. And as I know, food can get sucked into the filter which is probably what your snails are feeding off.

The way to keep the snail population down to a sensible level is to reduce the amount of food you feed the fish, and perhaps use a snail trap. This is simply a jar with a lid, with small holes punched in the lid from the outside. The holes need to be small enough so that your smallest fish can't get through but big enough for the snails to get through. Late in the evening some food that snails find irresistable is placed in the jar, then the jar is put in the tank. The following morning, there should be lots of snails in the jar which are then removed from the tank and disposed of in your preferred manner.
The reason the holes are punched in the lid from the outside is so that spikes are pushed through to the inside surface and these stop the snais getting back out.

I would resist using a chemical to kill snails. The chemical will end up inside the fish, which isn't that good for them, and the chances are it won't kill all the snails and they'll just breed some more. Pest snails are pests because they are very hard to kill unlike the snails we buy which are very easy to kill.

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »
thanks sue - food such as lettuce I think I read?
I currently cant see any in the tank, but I guess they are there somewhere.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 01:24:43 PM »
Lettuce will do nicely, particularly if you blanch it in a bit of water in the micrwave for a few seconds. That makes it nice and soft and more appealing to snails. Or use an algae wafer if you have them, or even a bit of whatever else you feed the fish.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 02:33:43 PM »
I have a colony of assassin snails in one tank and a colony of malaysian trumpet snails (also known as MTS, I have MTS squared argghh!) in another.  If I need an extra clean up group for a particularly large algae bloom I can add the MTS.  If the MTS population gets out of control in any tank I send in the assassins.  MTS snails do live birth so don't grow massive populations fast like the small pond snails but even they can be controlled by assassins given a few months.

Offline sjames

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 10:11:53 AM »
ok thanks....so far I cant see any in the tank at all, so they must be thriving on any extra food....I must say I don't turn off any filtration during feeding, so it must be natural that some foodstuff gets sucked through the pump even if only the correct amounts are added.

You don't turn off whilst feeding do you?

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »
I did, until the day I forgot to turn it back on again  :-[

Now I drop the food at the opposite end of the tank and hope it sinks/gets eaten before it reaches the filter. Any food that does reach the bottom gets cleared up by the cories, stiphodons and rice fish.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Snails"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post January 08, 2014, 12:14:42 AM
by Natasha
5 Replies
Last post November 03, 2018, 05:21:11 PM
by glitch74
51 Replies
Last post July 27, 2018, 11:14:45 PM
by TopCookie
7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2019, 08:45:52 AM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2020, 06:09:35 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2021, 03:36:13 PM
by Hampalong
3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2023, 10:53:40 PM
by adiv

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: