Going To A Larger Tank?

Author Topic: Going to a larger tank?  (Read 3534 times) 5 replies

Offline tandemaniac

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Going to a larger tank?
« on: January 18, 2015, 05:33:19 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well, I love my 6g long bookshelf tank but it's some sort of plastic material and I'm not thrilled by the algae that sticks to it. It has to be scrubbed off and it makes a haze on the plastic surface. I am using a special scrubber that is not supposed to harm it but my guess it does to some extent anyway. The tank is a one piece thing so not too many worries about leaks but I still am thinking about upgrading it. Also the plants are just amazing and crowding out the fish. Despite the labels saying this plant or that grows 2 to 4 inches, they are all much taller and still going so that makes me desire a bigger tank too.

I was thinking about just a 10g, as I don't really want to go any bigger and wondered where I can find information on how to transfer to another tank. I've got a few critters, 2 Julie cory's, 1 guppy, 1 otto, a dwarf albino frog and 3 red tetras. They are all peaceful and the tank is very stable now thanks to all the great advice from this forum. The plants have gone absolutely crazy and are lush and very green. I would like to keep them so I was thinking about transferring the gravel from the old tank, plus a bit extra since the new tank is a bit bigger on the bottom, but I wonder about losing all that nice bacteria. I want to put the new tank on the same shelf as the old one so a long transfer seems not to possible. Basically, to me, put the fish in the bucket with filtration and heat, empty the tank, keep the water, put up the new one, put the gravel in it, fill it up with the old water, put the plants back, filter and heater, then the fish. 

Some how, this seems loaded with all kinds of fishy danger. I saw a post about someone who put the new tank in a new location but I want to keep mine in the same place. That creates a logistical problem. Okay, enough typing. Let me know what you recommend or where to look. Thanks!!!!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Going to a larger tank?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 11:07:48 AM »
This article does contain a section on upgrading tanks.
I have upgraded a few times over the years, though admittedly the tank was usually in a different place. The thing I'm not sure on is how to move live plants as all mine are attached to decor (java fern, anubias etc).

Leaving aside the plant aspect, swapping tanks is easy. You need to remove as much water as you have room to store and put the fish, filter, heater and decor into the same container. If you use a bucket, you'll need to cover it with an old towel or some such as frightened fish will jump.
Once the old tank is almost empty, move it out of the way and put the new tank in its place. I think this will be the time to move the substrate and replant. Once you are happy with that, put all the saved water, fish, filter and decor into the tank and top up with new water - for the fish it will be the same as a big water change.
Yes, you will lose the bacteria on the plastic of the old tank and you may lose some on the gravel that  was on top but ends up on the bottom but you will still have the bacteria on the heater, filter, decor and plants. They won't take more than a few hours to make up any loss.
If you want to use a new filter, transfer all the media from the old filter; keep it wet all the time and cut up sponges to make them fit. Then fill any gaps with new media. Wait a couple of months before removing the old media, a small bit at a time with a months between removals, and replace with the media that comes with the new filter. Or just leave the old media there permanently.
Wait a few weeks before getting new fish. You need to make sure the bacteria are OK and the plants survive the move before adding to the bioload.

Offline tandemaniac

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 04:39:35 AM »
Wow! Thank you. This is awesome. Lots of good advice here and ideas.  I will still have to mull it over. I live in the land of earthquakes so bigger tanks cause me worry. Last time I had a big tank, we had a quake and 55 gallons of fish, water and plants ended up in the middle of my bed!

I will let you know how it goes when I do it. Most likely I will, I just have to work up the nerve. Grins :-)

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:16:44 AM »
Hi, tandemaniac, do tell, where is your "land of earthquakes"? well i hope you get sorted and it stays put  :)

Offline tandemaniac

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 04:32:34 PM »
HAHAHA!

The San Francisco Bay Area. The last quake that got my fish was over 75 miles away, but the waves traveled in such a way that the entire contents of the tank plopped into the middle of my bed. I wasn't home of course so when I did get there, the only damage inside the house was my bed. Completely sodden and with some very dried out fish.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »
Wow, and i thought power cuts were a nightmare, kind of puts it into perspective  ;D Hope we get to see pics at some point, (of tank, not earthquake lol)  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Going to a larger tank?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
8 Replies
Last post May 19, 2015, 09:26:06 PM
by Thor God Of Thunder
10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
by sharpandroid
39 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: