Glue Residue Inside A Fish Tank

Author Topic: Glue residue inside a fish tank  (Read 4506 times) 7 replies

Offline Dominika

• Fishy Member
Glue residue inside a fish tank
« on: February 09, 2015, 02:56:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I bought a 20 litre tank at Pets at Home, which I planned to use as a QT/fry/general purpose tank. Maybe convert it into a shrimp tank in the future.

When I got it I didn't notice the piece of cardboard with the brand name etc was glued to the inside on the tank glass. I got the cardboard out, but a stripe of glue and remains of cardboard are still there. Tried to scrape it off (wasn't doing that very vigorously to not scratch the glass/acrylic), let it soak for a few days, etc, but nothing's worked so far.

Any ideas how I can get rid of it? If I leave it in, is it possible it will harm the fish?

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Glue residue inside a fish tank
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:05:53 PM »
I know this is stating the bleeding obvious, but it depends totally upon the type of glue used. There are millions of them. Since it's on the inside, it probably isn't water soluble, and it's probably harmless! You never really know. The one thing that leaps to mind given the application, is that it is stuck on using silicon sealant. You should be able to scrape this off if your tank is glass. If it's acrylic, you will scratch it! Alternatively, you can get a solvent from your local DIY megastore.

Sorry to be of so little help.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Dominika

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I didn't expect anyone to give me a definitive answer with so little information. I guess I'm just fishing for ideas and asking on the off chance someone has had a similar experience with a tank like this.

I don't know what kind of glue was used. It doesn't seem to be silicon though. I've sent a message to Pets at Home, I'll see what they say.

I'm reluctant to use a DIY solvent on the inside. It might create more problems than it solves. Scraping doesn't seem to work, I'd have to use a razor blade or something to get it off. Really nasty stuff.

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »
If your tank is glass, a blade should be safe; I would recommend a Stanley knife blade rather than a razor; safer! You can get a plastic handle from DIY stores that holds the blade parallel to the glass. It's intended as a paint / wallpaper scraper.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Dominika

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
Thank you, that's a great idea. I'll give it a go.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »
Hi,

I had exactly this problem with the small 19 litre tank I got from PAH and I did scrub and scrape in warm water until it came off. It hasn't marked or scratched the acrylic at all but I guess it would depend on how hard you scrubbed, what you scrubbed with and how long you were prepared to scrub for!!!!!!  I used a regular scourer and the scrubby hard lip bit of a brush (if you know what I mean!!!!) and i did it gently but firmly until it came off.

FC76

Offline Dominika

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 12:29:56 AM »
Thanks for your input. I'll try a scourer tomorrow.

Offline Dominika

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 01:26:55 PM »
Happy to report, the scourer approach did work. All the glue residue is gone, the scourer however didn't make it.

Thanks again for the advice!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Glue residue inside a fish tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:51:23 AM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
6 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 07:43:15 PM
by dbaggie
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 08:05:43 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2020, 10:15:55 PM
by Fishbeard
2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2021, 10:58:23 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: