Bowing Tank

Author Topic: Bowing tank  (Read 4275 times) 9 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Bowing tank
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:31:21 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a 125 litre tank, bought in Nov 2006. This tank has a bracer bar siliconed between the front and back glass. I have just realised that the back end of the bracer has come away from the glass, and the tank is bowing front and back. In total, the centre is a good quarter inch further apart than the edges.

I have no idea if this is something to worry about - does anyone know the tolerance of 6mm glass? Am I likely wake up any day now to find the tank empty and the water on the floor?

On the plus side, my husband has agreed to me getting a new tank. I said, if we get rid of the piano from the dining room, I can fit a new bigger tank in there. He was all in favour  :o  Anything to get rid of the filter hum from the room he listens to his music. I am now researching brands on-line, then I can go and see the shortlist in person.
The piano has to go first, though.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Bowing tank
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »
I can't give you any numbers, but glass doesn't deform well. If I were you I would be concerned.

You could try and repair it. It shouldn't be too difficult to reattach it with silicon. The biggest problem would be coping with the wildlife whilst repairs are under way.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 11:59:12 AM »
Rehoming the livestock for the duration of a repair would be my main concern, and also whether the bar would come away again later. Besides, this is an opportunity to get a bigger tank  ;)

The 'off the peg' tanks that catch my eye are Eheim scubalines. Eheim quotes volumes filled to the brim, so the usuable volume is less, even before you add filters, heaters etc. They use 8mm glass.
But there is a company that makes tanks and I've had a quote from them. A silimar volume tank would cost a bit more, but they use 10mm glass, and there is an option for a front panel in optiwhite glass (which adds a bit on to the price). The advantage with this is that they are quite happy to make a tank that is less tall than the standard 'off the peg' tank, which would be a good idea for someone with short arms. I'm seriously thinking about this option.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
There are a number of places that manufacture custom tanks. The ones I can remember are Poseidon, wharf aquatics, oyster something or other, ac-aquatics, aquariums ltd...  So it may be worth shopping around

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »
I've ordered a new tank.
My current one is 82w x 35d x 50h cm, with the water height being about 44cm. Most 'off the shelf' bigger tanks are 55cm tall, which means I wouldn't be able to touch the bottom, and have taller stands making it harder for me to reach into. I've ordered a 42 x 18 x 18 inch tank (the company works in imperial not metric, most unusual) so that is 106w x 45d x 45h cm. The water height will be less than 45cm of course. It should give me another 50% volume from what I have now. It's 10mm glass (my current tank is 6mm) and I've gone for an optiwhite front panel.

I'm going to reduce the volume of water in my current tank till the new one is ready, which should help reduce the bowing a bit. It'll mean more water changes though as less volume = overstocked.

Just got to get rid of of the piano now  :-\

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 08:46:43 AM »
Hi Sue
When you set up your new tank are you going to do anything different, based on your experience with the other one?
Richard

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 12:13:51 PM »
The first thing will be to move just about everything over from the 125 litre filter, decor, water and fish. I will lose some bacteria in the biofilm on the glass and I'll have to wash the sand so I'll lose the bacteria on that too. Once I know everything has settled, I'll get some more ember tetras and I'll probably move the Microdevarios from the 50 litre and get more of them too. I won't get more green neon tetras though as I've had the current ones for almost three years. Once I've increased numbers, I won't have much room for any new species.

My filter is rated for 240 litre tanks, but I do have a couple of spare aquaballs in the cupboard so I may well put one of them in the new tank as well. (I have the smallest one of the old style as a quarantine tank filter and I have the one that used to be in the 125 litre till I got the biopower) If nothing else, it'll get the flow rate up.

As for the 125, I might advertise that on aquarist classifieds. Some people are quite happy repairing old tanks, especially if they are free; I'd be too worried about it leaking afterwards  :D I'm going to keep the cupboard though.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 08:47:57 AM »
My new tank came on Saturday  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The downside is that there is a sticker on it saying not to put anything in it till 15 Feb.  :( :( :(

Oh well, I waited 8 weeks for it to come, I suppose another week isn't too bad.

The quoted lead time was 8 weeks, which gave 7 Feb. They contacted me a week before asking if delivery on the 8th was OK with me. The day before, they said they expected to be here between 11 and 12, I had a phone call at 10:45 saying they'd be 50 mins and they were here on the dot. I call that good service.

I wasn't sure of the exact volume, though. I knew the size I'd ordered and the thickness of glass, so I knew exactly the internal width and depth (front to back) but not the height. I ordered 18 inches tall, but would that be the height of the glass or to the top of the hood? And how much space would I have to leave above the water?
The 18" is to the top of the glass, most of the hood and lights sit above the glass. There are glass bracer bars on all four walls with cover glasses on top of them. I now know how much water depth will fit so I have 188 litres. Half as big again as my 125 litre.
Yes I know, it won't hold 188 litres when the substrate, decor etc are in there.

I was told to put about 6 inches water in the first day, then if that was OK to top up the following day. So 6 inches next Sat and top on Sun. Run for a few days with a carbon filter then transfer everything from the old tank a week on Wed. Something to look forward to  ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 01:02:07 AM »
Hi Sue,

I am beginning this post AGAIN after Archie, one of my kittens just cleared everything I had typed >:(

You have been really patient about your tank, when I am waiting for something new I always want it NOW!
Does your optiwhite glass look very different? I suppose though, that you won't really be able to tell until you have water in? Who will be moving in to the new des-res?

I lost my last guppy today. I had had him for just under a year. I was looking at some really beautiful ones the other day, but seeing as they drop dead at the drop of a hat, I probably won't get them again.

Well don't forget we shall expect to see some pics of the new tank when it is all settled...good luck!

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 08:10:33 AM »
It's hard to tell about the optiwhite glass while it's empty. I wasn't really bothered about it, but my husband said it would look much better so get it. I was most surprised that he showed any interest at all  :o

The first thing to do will be to move all the fish over from the 125 litre. I have made a couple of changes already. I have moved all 10 of the Microdevario kubotai from the 50 to the 125 litre - that should build up a few more bacteria in there, though not many as they are tiny fish. And the Sundadanio axelrodi won't go from the 125 to the new tank, they'll go into the 50 to join the ones I bought two weeks ago. Which will make six less very tiny fish going to the new tank.
Somehow, I don't think these small fish will make much of a difference to the bioload  ;D

In the meantime, an empty tank; 42 inches wide x 18 inches front to back x 18 inches tall -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bowing tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 08:38:57 AM
by Sue
35 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:02:12 PM
by Resa
13 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 11:18:41 AM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 11:55:22 PM
by tropicalhabitat

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: