Filtering Question And More.

Author Topic: Filtering question and more.  (Read 4275 times) 5 replies

Offline Alex.h

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Filtering question and more.
« on: June 11, 2015, 01:48:45 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi there,

So to sum up my situation I am just setting up my tank, I've had it running a few days now and have a good idea how to run a standard Tropical fishtank without any hardship, however I just wanted to clarify a couple of things before I head out buying fish.

The tank I have is a "TL-550 - Marine Nano Fish Tank - 128 Litres PL Lighting" I bought this second-hand, but it has not come with the original equipment. It has a standard power filter as opposed to the more extravogent filtering system there is room for, and a 200w heater.

My questions are:

1) Is the heater too big (and so much of a problem that it is vital that I buy a new one) for this tank? As I noticed the heater that came with the original setup would be 100w.

2) Because this tank is blatantly listed as a 'marine' tank, does this (perhaps via the lighting in the tank) stop me as just setting it up as a fresh water setup?

3) I would love to make use of the 4 chambers in the back of this tank, but I am not 100% how to set it up (or what the correct terminology is for this kind of filteration), could anyone give me some advice on what I would need? I am aware that I should have 3(?) of them filled with different kinds of filtering materials, but what are the devices I should use for the suction and pump for this?

Sorry if this was a bit long winded, but any words of advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Alex

P.S attatched is the best picture I could find of how the in-built filter compartments are (it is the exact same model).

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Filtering question and more.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:52:40 AM »
Hello Alex and welcome
Are you doing a fishless cycle?
I'm not sure about marine versus freshwater use. The only thing I think I can answer is regarding the compartments at the back. 
I have an Aquaone 22/30 obviously much much smaller than yours but it does have three compartments.

The first has ceramic cartridges, the second has a large square sponge and the third is the one where my powerhead and heater go, or at least the heater is supposed to be in there but having broken one by moving the powerhead I now keep the heater in the tank.
I have added loads of extra filter bits ie sponge in with the ceramic cartridges, ceramic noodles plus a new filter media that I'm trying out, as well as all the originals.

I would have thought, since yours is a large tank, that the 200w, although perhaps overkill from a power point of view, would fit in your tank. If it is a thermostatic heater it will go off when it reaches the correct temp.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that marine lighting is different from freshwater. something to do with the spectrum but I'm sure somebody else will know. Perhaps just changing the bulbs will be fine since the fitment itself should be ok.

I don't know how much you have to clean a tank that was marine to make it suitable for freshwater. I would think as long as it's been thoroughly cleaned and rinsed it should be fine. I use baby bottle tablets and rinse well afterwards rather than use bleach.
I'm sure somebody will be able to answer more fully. Sue will know the answers to the back compartments

Offline Alex.h

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:42:52 AM »
Hi Sanjo, thank you for the greeting and thank you very much for this helpful reply!

I am indeed doing fishless cycles, I've had it running for about a week now, previous to that I stayed in the garden with it for a couple of hours scrubbing it out and giving it a few flushes so hopefully I should be grand there.

The heater does infact fit in the tank rather snug, and I'm glad to hear I don't have to shell out for another.

I'll be heading to a good size aquatic store at some point today, so I'll ask them about the lighting requirements, it should be easy for them to answer.

I'm most appreciative about your response with the filtration and even information with the materials, though I'm curious, you said you have a pump to push the water out, but didn't mention anything about any way to suck the water into the first compartment, will the water naturally push itself through? Or would I be missing something with a pump alone?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
Marine tanks usually have different lights from tropical ones. I think it is because corals need different wavelength light from plants. With PL bulbs you won't have much choice but a big store should have a few to choose from.

Is this your tank? There is a better description and photos here and a guide to setting the tank up for marine. The main difference is that the tank originally came with a protein skimmer which isn't used for freshwater.

To be honest, if there is no pump with the tank but there is another filter, is there any way to remove the filter box at the back? That would give the fish more room and probably be easier than trying to get a pump to fit.

Strictly speaking, the heater is bigger than necessary. Some would argue that if the heater were to fail in the on position it would cook the fish that bit faster than the correct wattage. But an over sized heater won't have to work as hard as a lower rated one. Provided it turns on and off to keep the water at the temp you want, it will be OK.

Re the fishless cycle, did you add ammonia at the beginning of the week it has been running? (it's just that you didn't mention it....)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 03:42:08 PM »
I am indeed doing fishless cycles, I've had it running for about a week now

Umm it takes longer than a week to cycle a tank Alex, unless you transferred media from another filter. How did you start the cycle?

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 09:22:24 AM »
I'm most appreciative about your response with the filtration and even information with the materials, though I'm curious, you said you have a pump to push the water out, but didn't mention anything about any way to suck the water into the first compartment, will the water naturally push itself through? Or would I be missing something with a pump alone?
The water enters the internal filtration by overflow from the main body of the tank into the filtration area via the slots cut into the top of the filter box at the left hand side.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Filtering question and more."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post November 01, 2012, 05:56:58 PM
by Mervyn
2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 05:11:40 PM
by Mervyn
4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 12:11:01 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2014, 07:23:49 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post June 29, 2015, 11:08:41 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 10:28:52 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 10:08:04 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: