External Filter

Author Topic: External Filter  (Read 7147 times) 13 replies

Offline Gazzariff

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
External Filter
« on: February 08, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0

Hi everyone I have a 64L tank currently cycling with an Internal Fluval filter. I'm thinking of changing to a Fluval 106 external filter just would like some advice/thoughts, pros and cons can you put more media in these external filters and what type also would I need a spray bar attachment.
Many Thanks.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: External Filter
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 04:15:03 PM »
The Fluval 106 comes with media. According to Hagen's website, it has biomax (a ceramic medium) a polishing pad and a bag of carbon. If I was to use this filter I would put the carbon in the cupboard, then buy some sponge, any make that can be cut to fit. The instructions say the media has to go in a certain order but I'd put the sponge in the bottom basket to catch the debris, biomax in the middle one then the polishing pad in the top one to catch any fine bits.
To preserve the bacteria you have grown. put the media from the internal into the external. You don't mention which model internal you have but with sponges it would be easiest to bury it in the biomas basket, and any biomax in the internal can go in there too. Once the tank is cycled, and has been running a few months you can remove the sponge bit by bit and replace it with the new biomax you'd have to leave out.

The Fluval 106 has an adjustable flow so it should be OK on a 60 litre tank, but nowhere in the instructions does it mention a spraybar. If any member has an x06 filter, they should be able to help with this.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 04:25:07 PM »
I have a Fluval filter on my dwarf puffer tank, I can't remember if it's a 206 or 306.
That had a spray bar, which I have used.
I was running 2 internal filters in that tank previously, and put all the media from 1 of the filters into the external filter, and also ran the second internal filter in the tank for a while.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 05:29:05 PM »
... can you put more media in these external filters and what type also would I need a spray bar attachment ...

External filters generally have more space for filter material than internal filters.  You can put any filter material you desire into it.  You don't need a spray bar but I use them to break the surface film over a greater area.  This helps to oxygenate the tank.

Pros
More control over filter material.
More filter material than internal equivalent (good for seeding other tanks).
No filter in the tank so less interference with your aquascape.
They have an internal water capacity (i.e. my mini external holds 2.3 l, Fluval claims to hold more but gives no numbers) so increases the volume of water in your system.
Easier to clean.

Cons
Usually expensive.
On a small tank isn't as efficient a filter as a cheap sponge filter (but does the job still).
From observation, not used by many breeders who prefer a low flow.
Can block on larger bits (use a pre filter to remove this as an issue).

Offline Gazzariff

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:23:20 PM »

Many thanks for all the advice/replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 11:14:09 PM »
You'll need to research carefully about the diameter of the tubing for the external filter, including any fixtures and fittings which may create a problem when trying to shut the lid on your tank.

Offline Gazzariff

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 08:37:47 AM »

Will do thanks Matt

Offline Trekfan

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
Can anyone recommend a quiet external filter, there are a lot of options on the web and pro's and con's to which brand. Looking for filter for 90 litres (maybe 120) havent committed to a tank yet.There's a lot of Experience on this forum and would appreciate any input,I'm thinking of an ehiem.

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 02:39:33 PM »
I bought one of THESE for my 120.  Not the best filter on the market, but I think you'd struggle to find anything that will match the capacity for the price.

It's not silent, but it doesn't keep me awake.  Not sure if I'd say the same thing if it wasn't in a cabinet!

Also, the selection of media that comes with it is fairly underwhelming, but for under £50 you should be able to buy something better like a BIOHOME filter kit.

But tbh, if I wasn't trying to keep to a budget I would have bought a better brand, most likely a Fluval 306.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
All Pond Solutions externals are well known for being good value for money, albeit a bit on the flimsy side But as long as you are aware of that and are gentle when cleaning them it isn't a problem.
The other thing with them you need to bear in mind is that they are one of the brands that quotes the flow rate of an empty filter. It is well known that once you put media inside, the flow rate drops substantially by anything up to half of the empty rate. So choose the model with this in mind.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 05:24:28 PM »
I have an all pond solutions EF-150 on my 90 l Fluval Roma aquarium.  It's difficult finding a small external filter that doesn't create too high a flow.

Offline Trekfan

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 07:02:08 PM »
Just had a look at the all pond,it seems to cheap to be true !
https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/filters/external/ef-150-400-l-h/

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »
Personally had a nightmare with AllPondSolutions on a 300l in work. Ended up scrapping it after 2 months. Wouldn't prime properly and very poor quality construction. I have a Fluval 306 at home and it's great. Very quiet and easy to use.

I have a JBL Crystalprofi e401 that I got free with an annual subscription to Practical Fishkeeping Magazine. Was going to use it on my 55l but decided to upgrade the tank instead. Come with a spraybar and media looks top quality. If you live near Guildford I'd be happy to do a deal!  ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 09:46:43 PM »
Priming has been tricky after maintenance but it was eventually solved with an easy fix.  Stick some air tube down the in pipe and create a siphon to fill the pipe.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "External Filter"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2014, 10:40:27 PM
by biffster
3 Replies
Last post March 20, 2015, 12:35:59 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post December 18, 2015, 10:31:17 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2019, 07:01:21 PM
by Littlefish
13 Replies
Last post March 28, 2019, 08:17:52 PM
by Sue
41 Replies
Last post December 21, 2019, 09:15:21 PM
by barneyadi
2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2021, 04:10:04 PM
by Cherry Margot

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: