Errrr Wut?

Author Topic: errrr wut?  (Read 2498 times) 4 replies

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
errrr wut?
« on: November 27, 2015, 04:52:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My pump has inexplicably stopped working.
After the routine water change my filter has stopped working, unplugged it during change and now bugger all.
It's not the sockets, a light and heater are working, and tried changing the fuse.
Any ideas other than buying a new pump?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: errrr wut?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 05:13:59 PM »
I once had a filter that this happened with every time it was switched off during a water change.

Do you mean an internal filter? There are a few things to check.
First, with the filter unplugged, take the pump part off the media part and have a look at the impeller. You may need to look at the instructions to find out how to get in. Are the impeller and the impeller well both nice and clean? If they are not, clean them. You can use a cotton bud to get right down into the impeller well but be careful the end doesn't come off inside the well. You'd then need to search for some tweezers to get it out. (done that!)

If that doesn't work, the next thing to try is a bit fiddly and can result in an unexpected shower. Remove the cover of the impeller well and hold the motor part under water with the outlet pointing downwards. Plug it back in to the mains - easier with a second person. Then flick the impeller to see if that will get it to start. If it does, good; now put the cover back on and refit the motor to the media part of the filter, keeping the motor under water all the time and pointing into the tank.
Hopefully you will now have a functioning filter and are still dry.
This is what I had to do with that filter of mine at every water change.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 05:29:01 PM »
Thanks Sue. It is an internal and relatively clean, I'll give it a deep clean when I get home from work.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 07:38:37 PM »
All fixed, the Mrs gave it a deep clean.
All that panicking for nothing  :-[

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 07:51:18 PM »
It's usually an impeller well full of goo that causes the problem. Though sometimes it is the filter itself. Mine was a Hagen Trio 2000 - and Hagen make Fluval filters which used to suffer from the same problem. You don't hear so much about this with the newer Fluvals.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: