Author Topic: DIY Lighting project (LED strips)  (Read 26623 times) 78 replies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
DIY Lighting project (LED strips)
« on: March 10, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I've had my aquarium for almost a year now and have never been completely happy with the lighting.

I have 2x 18W 'bulbs' and whilst the light is OK, it's a bit warm (colour, not heat) yellowy and I would have preferred it if it were a little brighter.

This is the kind of light bulb (x2) supplied with the tank:

I had previously added a small blue LED light to serve as Moonlighting in the morning and evening, but also leave this on alongside the main light during the day.

This is how it looks with the standard lighting and the blue LED:

Anyway I decided I would try and improve the lighting without breaking the bank.

I decided to use LED strips which are the kind sold to go underneath kitchen units:

I bought 4x 1M lengths of 5630 strips as these seemed to be the brightest available.

I also bought a 12V adapter:

And so I set about attaching the 4 LED Strips to the lid.
I had previously added some reflective tape to help maximise the lighting.
This is how it all looks underneath.

I spent a total of just under £30

LED Strips £3.99 each
AC Adaptor £6.00
Wire and Electric Terminal Connector £6.00

Annoyingly, photos just don't do the end result justice at all.
The camera makes the difference seem so subtle as to have been not worth the expense and the effort.

This is the tank lit with the standard bulbs, the blue LED and the 4x LED strips:

I'm really pleased, the new lighting is much a much cooler whiter light (approx 6000 - 6500k) and really helps the fish look their best, especially the Cardinal Tetras.

It's also given me a new option of running the LED strips without the standard bulbs and I'm doing this in the morning and evening, before increasing the lighting by adding the standard lights, as a kind of dusk/dawn effect.
Again, unfortunately photos just don't do it justice.

Incidentally, this is running on a tank with the following dimensions: W80 x D43 x H55cm so on a smaller aquarium (especially one with less depth) you may get away with using these LED strips on their own.

So my new lighting regime, all controlled with timer sockets, looks like this:

07:00 Blue LED comes on for Moonlighting
07:30 LED Strips come on for Dawn (+ Blue LED)
08:30 Standard Lights come on (+ LED Strips + Blue LED)
18:30 Standard Lights go off (LED Strips + Blue LED stay on for dusk)
19:30 LED Strips go off (Blue LED stays on for Moonlighting)
22:30 Blue LED goes off for total darkness

Next I think I'm going to replace the standard lighting with equivalent LED 'bulbs' which should last longer, cost less to run and should provide that cooler, whiter light.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

Re: DIY Lighting project (LED strips)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 11:17:58 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Simon
That seems like a lot of light! Not sure how much the fish will like being so brightly lit, most of mine prefer to be under the plant leaves even with standard lighting.
I am hoping to completely replace my fluorescent tubes with LED strips, primarily to save on the electricity. How many LEDs are there on each of your strips? I'm trying to work out how many I'd need to light each tank.
Thanks
Richard

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
Hi Richard,

Many people with high-tech planted aquariums are running far more light than I'm running, but I would only consider something like this with a heavily planted aquarium.
With a sparsely planted aquarium the fish might feel overwhelmed and stressed.

My fish have plenty of places to hide beneath the broader leaves and the bogwood, but they appear unaffected.
In fact, if anything they seem happier, the Celestial Pearl Danios are currently exploring out in the open and they're the most timid of the fish I own.

The 5630 LED Strips have 60 LEDs per metre.

These are the specs:

*LED type: SMD 5630
*long life: >50,000 hours.
*View angle:120°
*Silicon gel type :Waterproof  IP65.
 *Working power: 12W/M.
*Working Temeprature: -20~50°.
*Color Temperature: Warm White 2500~6500K / Cool White 6000~6500K
*Working input  Voltage: DC 12V
*Low power  consumption,super bright  but running with low  temperature.
*Can be cut per  unit(3 LED).

For a planted aquarium (as I'm sure you already know) light as close to 6500K is needed so Cool White is one to go for.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
I'm really interested in this. As I've mentioned in a previous post I was also unhappy with the lighting in my tank. I bought an extra blue/white LED light tube that has helped but it's still no where near bright enough in my opinion. The light is predominantly central with less light going to the corners.  My tank is 60 x 30 x 30 (cm) and the amazon sword in the middle of the tank are thriving but all other plants seem to have not grown at all and some have melted. Algae has now begun to appear on some of the rocks so I have ordered two nerite snails to deal with it (from another post, Sue recommended them).

Simon, was it easy to  buy and assemble the set up? Does each strip work off a separate adapter or are they joined? Also I take it they stay waterproof after cutting them :o?

Adam

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »
Loving your work Simon, very nice 8)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 11:55:56 AM »
Simon, was it easy to  buy and assemble the set up?

I bought the LED strips from eBay and the seller also had a link to the adapter.

Does each strip work off a separate adapter or are they joined?

I'm using one adaptor and connected all the strips together.
I just bought some 2 core wire from B&Q and a Terminal Connector strip.

Also I take it they stay waterproof after cutting them :o?

Yes, there are specific places you can cut in order to maintain the circuit but the whole thing remains encased in a gel-like rubber so remains waterproof.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 12:12:47 PM »
The tank ( a small 60 cm. one) which I bought with LED lights as standard only uses 26 LEDs. While some people might find the light not bright enough aesthetically, I do find (to my surprise) that the plants have grown perfectly well under this light only, though I do stick to "easy" plants which are not too light demanding.

I have bought a single 120 cm. LED strip which has 120 LEDs. I haven't fixed it in the tank yet, but having seen how much light it produces, I reckon that it will easily be enough on its own for another 60 cm. tank which has non-standard fluorescent tubes which are difficult to find and expensive. I'm planning to glue the light strip to the hood in a U-shape.

I do wonder, considering the low price of so many LED lights these days, why some aquarium LED lights sell for hundreds of pounds? Maybe the Chinese haven't yet entered the market for those yet .........

Different fish seem to be happy with different light levels, in my tank with danios, WCMM and barbs, they are all out in the open all of the time, but in the tetra tanks they do seem happier with more subdued lighting.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »
There are proper LED replacement T8 tubes for the light unit in my tank. Interpret themselves actually make them so they should come with some sort of guarantee... I'm tempted to buy some in the near future as I don't think they've ever been replaced from new (I am the third owner of this Aquarium) and the recommendation is to renew them annually.

Plus they would consume less wiggly amps and that's always good  :)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 12:40:53 PM »
I have looked at LED tube replacements, but I found that they are pretty expensive and don't use much less power. Also, in most cases, you have to rewire the connections.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:48:21 PM »
If I could have acheived what I've acheived without resorting to a McGuyver bodge, I'd have bought the official product.
The way my tank hood is configured means I've had to come up with a homebrew solution.

LED lighting is definitely the way forward for a few reasons, it costs less to run, it lasts a lot longer than old-style lighting systems, and it produces “daylight shimmer,” or a beautiful ripple effect in the water.

“Daylight shimmer" is created by point source lighting, which means lots of light from a single, focused source. Fluorescent lighting doesn't create daylight shimmer because it isn't a form of point source lighting.

Example of Daylight shimmer in the video below
#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 01:44:07 PM »
Wow- this all looks fascinating. So many people on here are so talented.

The tank ( a small 60 cm. one) which I bought with LED lights as standard only uses 26 LEDs.
Is this the lighting you have in your tetra tank, Richard, or what do you have in it? I've mentioned recently that I'm looking for dimmer lighting suggestions for my tetras and harlequins http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/fish-tanks-and-equipment/dim-lighting-suggestions/msg21985/#msg21985 , so any additional examples of what people use would be helpful.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 02:07:54 PM »
The LED lit tank has just Lemon and Flame tetras. It's mainly dominated by Hygrophila which grows like crazy and which the fish usually stay near. Quite a few new smaller tanks now come with LED lighting built in, I don't know why they all don't, it can't cost the manufacturers any more. Perhaps they hope we will still continue to buy new tubes from them every year if they stick to the outdated technology.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
That's looking pretty good :)

I've been using LEDs for a while now, and wouldn't go back to traditional lighting. Someone mentioned the the fish may not like the extra brightness. One way to stop shocking the fish, is to have the light fade on and off rather than an immediate switch. This is pretty easy to do with a DIY setup by using a TC420 controller, have a look here if you're interested. BTW, I'm not affiliated with the people that make this or anything, I've just found it to be a very good and cheap product which can make DIY LED aquarium lighting look so much better

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 05:27:32 PM »

One way to stop shocking the fish, is to have the light fade on and off rather than an immediate switch. This is pretty easy to do with a DIY setup by using a TC420 controller,

That looks so handy as a timer and dimmer. It seems there's always another bit of kit to buy for every eventuality. One day I'll be able to just sit down and enjoy the tank without thinking about tweaks and improvements I can make. Although that's half the fun.  ;)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
Great; thanks, Richard and Darren - and welcome to the forum, Darren!  :wave:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 05:59:21 PM »
Hi Darren, welcome to the forum.  :wave:

BDS, just ask Simon if there is ever a time when you can sit back and enjoy your aquarium without thinking about improvements and tweaks. Simon has a great tank and is still making adjustments and improvements.

Simon - awesome tank and I really like the new lighting.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »
That looks so handy as a timer and dimmer. It seems there's always another bit of kit to buy for every eventuality. One day I'll be able to just sit down and enjoy the tank without thinking about tweaks and improvements I can make. Although that's half the fun.  ;)

They are a great bit of kit, and if you have strip LED lights already, chances are that's all you'd need as it'll just sit between the transformer and LEDs :)

Haha, one day maybe we can sit and look at them, I'm constanly thinking about mine at the moment, doesn't help that the project tank is right next to the sofa ;D

Great; thanks, Richard and Darren - and welcome to the forum, Darren!  :wave:

Thanks for the welcome. I've yet to have a proper look round, but it seems like a nice, friendly place :)

BDS, just ask Simon if there is ever a time when you can sit back and enjoy your aquarium without thinking about improvements and tweaks. Simon has a great tank and is still making adjustments and improvements.

Thanks again  :wave:

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 06:12:40 PM »
That's looking pretty good :)

I've been using LEDs for a while now, and wouldn't go back to traditional lighting. Someone mentioned the the fish may not like the extra brightness. One way to stop shocking the fish, is to have the light fade on and off rather than an immediate switch. This is pretty easy to do with a DIY setup by using a TC420 controller, have a look here if you're interested. BTW, I'm not affiliated with the people that make this or anything, I've just found it to be a very good and cheap product which can make DIY LED aquarium lighting look so much better

That looks really interesting. Thanks for stopping by to share your knowledge. :cheers:

I wish I was better at maths and electronics as I would love to get my lights to fade up in the morning and down in the evening.

It would be amazing to have the lights fade up from 0% to 100% over the space of an hour in the morning, and back down to 0% again in the evening.

I might just have to invest in one of these and see if I am able to get it to do what I want.

I don't suppose you have a video showing your unit ramping up the light, or fading down?

Thanks Littlefish.  :cheers:

So, in the year I've had my aquarium I've added an LED Moonlight, added new fish species, changed the plants around and added this latest lighting.

I intend to change my filter for an external and quite possibly the heater for an external heater too.

Now I have my sights on a fading (dawn/dusk) system for my LED lights too. Thanks again Darren_Lines. :wave:

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 07:03:08 PM »
That looks really interesting. Thanks for stopping by to share your knowledge. :cheers:

I wish I was better at maths and electronics as I would love to get my lights to fade up in the morning and down in the evening.

It would be amazing to have the lights fade up from 0% to 100% over the space of an hour in the morning, and back down to 0% again in the evening.

I might just have to invest in one of these and see if I am able to get it to do what I want.

I don't suppose you have a video showing your unit ramping up the light, or fading down?
You'll be able to do that easily :) It get more complex when you are running multiple tanks off one controller or are planning on doing what I'm planning to do in my next aquarium. I've made a tool that helps with this though, which is on my web page too. If you need any help just holla.

I don't have any videos of this controller working, I'll make one for you soon. This video shows a similar fade on a unit I built from scratch. I stopped developing my own unit when I found the TC420 as it was cheaper than me making one and was easier to use.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 07:29:21 PM »
Nice. Look forward to seeing the new video too.

I just found a unit on Amazon where, apparently you can programmatically fade like; @08h set % = 0 (Fade) - @09h set % = 100 (Fade)

This one has a AC DC Power socket on the side. Can this be used in place of the transformer input on the right?

What I really hope to acheive is to fade up my blue LED using channel 1 and then fade up the white LEDs on channel 2.

I had then wondered if I could have the rearmost white LED strip on channel 2 and then use channels 3, 4 and 5 with each strip forward of the next to simulate the sun tracking forward.

{EDIT} Ahhh, just watched the second video.  :cheers: :rotfl:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "DIY Lighting project (LED strips)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
104 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
by daniel_james_taylor
2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 07:16:30 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2015, 02:24:41 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2016, 12:19:22 PM
by Fiona
31 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 08:38:36 PM
by MarquisMirage
5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2019, 08:18:42 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: