Author Topic: DIY Lighting project (LED strips)  (Read 26631 times) 78 replies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: DIY Lighting project (LED strips)
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2016, 02:07:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The eBay seller claimed 12w per metre. These 5630s are 60 LEDs per metre.

Googling for '5630 led watts per metre' I find this:

• 5630 is the new Version of the 5050 LED (5630 is Brighter and uses less power than a 5050)
  • 17.5 Watt 1.46 Amp Per metre (12V DC)

They were selling a 5m roll with 72 LEDs per metre @ £40 !

Now looking at getting a 10A 120W @ £12.99 + free delivery.  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »
Don't you really need to know the power used per LED, then you can work out the number of LEDs in the length you use and hence the power required?

I light my whole average sized sitting room adequately using three compact fluorescent light bulbs each of 23 watts for a total of 69 watts. LEDs are more efficient than fluorescent lighting. It seems to me therefore that only a relatively small number of  LEDs should be more than enough to light a normal sized tank. My aim in changing to LEDs is to save money on electricity, not to make the lights any brighter. Am I missing something? Wouldn't a 5 metre length be enough for an enormous tank? The seller said that the 5 metre length I bought would use 72 watts total. That would have to be divided among several tanks to make it more economical than the existing tubes.

I have one flexible "rubbery" strip which is 1.2 metres length and has 120 LEDs, plain old 3528 single ones. It is constructed such that it bends round corners easily without twisting, unlike the flat strips that are sold in 5 metre lengths. It easily provides enough light for a 60 litre/60 cm. tank (glued internally in a U shape). It uses 9 watts, less than a third of the consumption of the two 15 watt tubes there before, while providing at least as much light and cost just £8.99 with power supply. It's a pity that 1.2 metres seems to be the longest length available, longer and you can only get the flat tape type. I have 3 more 60 cm tanks which I plan to light in the same way. I may add a red strip later to enhance colours. The electricity savings should be considerable, after all 12 hours a day @ 30w = 0.36 kwh/day while the same @ 9w = 0.108 kwh/day. If I can do the same sort of thing with the other 8 tanks I have that use fluorescent tubes then I can afford to run a couple more tanks!! I'm still working out the best way to use the flat strips on the larger tanks.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »
The eBay seller claimed 12w per metre. These 5630s are 60 LEDs per metre.

Googling for '5630 led watts per metre' I find this:

• 5630 is the new Version of the 5050 LED (5630 is Brighter and uses less power than a 5050)
  • 17.5 Watt 1.46 Amp Per metre (12V DC)

They were selling a 5m roll with 72 LEDs per metre @ £40 !

Now looking at getting a 10A 120W @ £12.99 + free delivery.  :)
I think the supplier may have miss-copied the information. The chips themselves are more power hungry than 5050's which are 14.4w per metre, but are much more efficient at producing light (85 lumens per watt compared to 55 lumens per watt). To be fair, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information, but based on the info on the chip makers spec sheets, I'd say 24 watts per metre is what they're likely to be. It's what I'm basing my calculator on.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »
Don't you really need to know the power used per LED, then you can work out the number of LEDs in the length you use and hence the power required?

I light my whole average sized sitting room adequately using three compact fluorescent light bulbs each of 23 watts for a total of 69 watts. LEDs are more efficient than fluorescent lighting. It seems to me therefore that only a relatively small number of  LEDs should be more than enough to light a normal sized tank. My aim in changing to LEDs is to save money on electricity, not to make the lights any brighter. Am I missing something? Wouldn't a 5 metre length be enough for an enormous tank? The seller said that the 5 metre length I bought would use 72 watts total. That would have to be divided among several tanks to make it more economical than the existing tubes.

I have one flexible "rubbery" strip which is 1.2 metres length and has 120 LEDs, plain old 3528 single ones. It is constructed such that it bends round corners easily without twisting, unlike the flat strips that are sold in 5 metre lengths. It easily provides enough light for a 60 litre/60 cm. tank (glued internally in a U shape). It uses 9 watts, less than a third of the consumption of the two 15 watt tubes there before, while providing at least as much light and cost just £8.99 with power supply. It's a pity that 1.2 metres seems to be the longest length available, longer and you can only get the flat tape type. I have 3 more 60 cm tanks which I plan to light in the same way. I may add a red strip later to enhance colours. The electricity savings should be considerable, after all 12 hours a day @ 30w = 0.36 kwh/day while the same @ 9w = 0.108 kwh/day. If I can do the same sort of thing with the other 8 tanks I have that use fluorescent tubes then I can afford to run a couple more tanks!! I'm still working out the best way to use the flat strips on the larger tanks.
The biggest mistake that people can make is trying to use a watt by watt comparison when converting to LEDs. The problem is there are many different types, each producing light more or less efficiently than the others. For example, the 3528 LEDs you mention are pretty dim and inefficient. The 5m/72watt strips you mention will be 5050 chips, which are still fairly inefficient, but produce the most light per £. There are now the 5630 LEDs that are more expensive to buy initially, but are brighter than the 5050's and more efficient to run (so cheaper long term). Comparatively, a 1m strip of each type will output approximately 216, 756, and 1536 lumens respectively, but use 4.8, 14.4, and 24 watts for that light.

To compare to an iridescent light, such as your compact fluorescents, you need to be looking at the light produced by both types of light (usually in lumens). Compact fluorescents are already pretty efficient lights. LEDs will save a bit on the running cost, but also have the advantage of not having to warm up, are much more controllable, longer life etc.

If the light in your 60 litre aquarium outputs 750 lumens, for example (which is what a single 24" 20w Hagen Power-Glo produces), you would need either of the below for the equivalent light output in LEDs:

3528: 3.5 metres - 756 lumens - 16.8 watts
5050: 1 metre - 756 lumens - 14.4 watts
5630: 0.5 metres - 768 lumens  - 12 watts.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »
I do understand, but finding output in lumens for tubes is difficult. I don't know how a Hagen Power-glo tube compares with the very cheap ones I buy (£2 - £3 each) but I wouldn't want an 18000k tube anyway, those were originally intended for marine tanks. All I can say is that with the set up I describe, superficially at least the tank is just as brightly lit as with the two tubes. In addition, the plants I have are thriving just as well as ever. As I've noted before I only use easy plants as my interest is in providing a good habitat for the fish rather than creating a decorative feature.

I do have a 5m roll of 5630 leds and a 72w power supply. I was planning to cut this into strips of different lengths to share among three tanks which are adjacent to each other, using the one power supply for all three tanks but am still deciding how best to connect all the power leads etc. There are two 80 cm tanks, where I was planning to put two 70 cm. strips in each and one 60 cm. tank where I want two 50 cm. strips. That would make a total of 380 cm. used in total which should be well within the capacity of the power supply. This would mean splitting the power from the supply three times initially, then each of those splitting into two.

According to your figures 0.5 metres of 5630 uses 12 watts, which would mean 24 watts/metre which is twice what is generally quoted so I assume an error? If so, in the 60 cm. tank I would have 1 metre of LEDs, using 12 watts and producing 1536 lumens, while in the 80 cm tanks it would be 1.4 metres using about 17 watts and producing 2150 lumens. Have I got that correct? Any corrections gratefully accepted...........

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2016, 05:18:24 PM »
I do understand, but finding output in lumens for tubes is difficult. I don't know how a Hagen Power-glo tube compares with the very cheap ones I buy (£2 - £3 each) but I wouldn't want an 18000k tube anyway, those were originally intended for marine tanks. All I can say is that with the set up I describe, superficially at least the tank is just as brightly lit as with the two tubes. In addition, the plants I have are thriving just as well as ever. As I've noted before I only use easy plants as my interest is in providing a good habitat for the fish rather than creating a decorative feature.

I do have a 5m roll of 5630 leds and a 72w power supply. I was planning to cut this into strips of different lengths to share among three tanks which are adjacent to each other, using the one power supply for all three tanks but am still deciding how best to connect all the power leads etc. There are two 80 cm tanks, where I was planning to put two 70 cm. strips in each and one 60 cm. tank where I want two 50 cm. strips. That would make a total of 380 cm. used in total which should be well within the capacity of the power supply. This would mean splitting the power from the supply three times initially, then each of those splitting into two.

According to your figures 0.5 metres of 5630 uses 12 watts, which would mean 24 watts/metre which is twice what is generally quoted so I assume an error? If so, in the 60 cm. tank I would have 1 metre of LEDs, using 12 watts and producing 1536 lumens, while in the 80 cm tanks it would be 1.4 metres using about 17 watts and producing 2150 lumens. Have I got that correct? Any corrections gratefully accepted...........
The power-glo seems to be an middle ground for light output, which was why I picked it, some are lower and some are much higher (for example the sun-glo). The lumens may be on the packaging of your cheap tubes, more and more companies seem to be adding it these days? The 1.2 metre strip you have with 144 3528 chips will be outputting around 518 lumens, which is pretty close to an Aqua-Glo tube, so if you mainly keep low-tech plants I'm sure they'll do fine.

I don't think you'll have any issues wiring up your power supply. It all sounds straight forward. 3.8 metres would draw 91.2 watts, so you'll be leaning on your power supply a fair bit.

I have seen so much discrepancy when it comes to 5630 LEDs, but after doing a lot of research I've found a lot of sellers to be misleading. 24 watts per metre is pretty accurate based on datasheets from the chip suppliers. I've seen a lot of sellers listing them at 14.4 watts per metre, which has probably been copied and pasted from a 5050 strip, and I've also seen 7.2 watts per metre, which is actually the 5630's rating per foot (30cm). I think part of the low-balling on the power usage could be simple copy and paste mistakes, the other could be so that the seller can either ship with a smaller power supply or you think you need a smaller/cheaper power supply so as not to scare off potential buyers.

In the 60 cm. tank you would have 1 metre of LEDs, using 24 watts and producing 1536 lumens, while in the 80 cm tanks it would be 1.4 metres using about 33.6 watts and producing 2150 lumens.

I've added a calculator at the bottom of this page for working out the power usage, and another calculator in the middle of this page to calculate LEDs based on the lumens emitted by any current lighting. Using the latter calculator, you may be able to spread the 5 metres of strips you have around more aquariums, making your power usage even more efficient.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2016, 06:15:42 PM »
Thanks Darren, very interesting. It does appear that there is very little difference in practice in terms of power use between different LEDs for a given light output. One could simply use more of the lower output types to get the same light output, give or take a bit.

If I follow the plan I outlined with the 5630 type, there will be very little saving in electricity compared to using tubes and so I'll reconsider. In fact two of my 60 cm. tanks are lit with a single 15w tube and so your figure of 24w with 5630 LEDs would not be economic though I expect the tanks would be much more brightly lit.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2016, 06:39:32 PM »
Richard I'm currently running about 3.5M of 5630s in my 81cm tank using an underpowered 12W power supply.

The LEDs are significantly dimmer than they should be, but are still almost bright enough.

You may very well find that running with an underpowered DC adaptor you will save money and still be satisfied with the brightness.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2016, 07:07:01 PM »
There are numerous different possibilities, I'm not rushing. These LED strips are so cheap that I have several non-fishy ideas to use them and so any that don't end up on tanks will be used in one way or another.
My other thoughts concern hoods and how to fix the LED strips for which I'll start another thread.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2016, 07:16:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thanks Darren, very interesting. It does appear that there is very little difference in practice in terms of power use between different LEDs for a given light output. One could simply use more of the lower output types to get the same light output, give or take a bit.

If I follow the plan I outlined with the 5630 type, there will be very little saving in electricity compared to using tubes and so I'll reconsider. In fact two of my 60 cm. tanks are lit with a single 15w tube and so your figure of 24w with 5630 LEDs would not be economic though I expect the tanks would be much more brightly lit.
No problem, glad I can help :)

You're right, you can just use more or less LEDs to get the same light output, the limiting factor would be the space in the aquarium's hood. However, I think there is a fair difference in energy usage. For the example earlier there was 4.8 watts difference, and that's based on a small aquarium. The difference gets larger as the lumens increase. You also have to factor in the lifespan, where LEDs should last much longer than the incandescent equivalent if they're set up to run within their tolerances (mainly not allowed to overheat - the 5630's should ideally be mounted on an aluminium plate to dissipate the heat).

True, but if you change your plan slightly you could still save. You said you're happy with the 1.2m strip in one of your 60cm tanks, which was calculated to be emitting 518 lumens. If we aimed for 600 lumens (which is half way between the Aqua-Glo and Flora-Glo tubes), you would only need to use a 40cm length of 5630 LEDs, which would use 9.6 watts of power. Using the same model, the 80cm tank would need around 800 lumens, which equates to 60cm of 5630 LED strip, which uses 14.4 watts. That would be 38.4 watts for all 3 tanks.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2016, 07:40:05 PM »
The problem with using just one 40 cm length of 5630s would be that the illumination might be pretty uneven in the tank. I was thinking that using more lower power LEDs would mean that I could distribute the light more evenly from end to end and front to back.

If you see my other post about hoods, you'll see that I'll have plenty of room  for fixing the strips if I get rid of the existing tubes and associated stuff and replace them with a nice flat clean surface.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2016, 07:53:56 PM »
It may not be much of a problem depending on the LED's height above the water. They tend to have a pretty wide 120 degree light angle, so 10cm in from the edge of the hood may not equate to much at the surface. Gimmie a sec and I'll work it out.

***** Update *****

Based on 11.5 cm in (10 cm plus 1.5cm for the circuit board before the LED), the light will hit the side of the aquarium 6cm down.

Offline AdyDnt

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »
Think I'm going to convert my partners tank to this sort of led strip lights, looks to be a good fix to the problem of how long the lights are on during the day.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2016, 11:08:46 PM »
Any updates on these lighting projects? I understand why we don;t see much of @Extreme_One these days so I don't expect an immediate response  ;)

I ordered a metre of cool white 5630 today. I will order a TC420 after my holiday this month, I have an unused 12v power supply amongst other cables and stuff in the garage. It's a 5 amp unit rated at max 70 or 84 watts depending on what google result you find, unfortunately the wattage isn't marked.

I will do some playing around with the led strip and so long as it works I'll order a metre of blue strip to go with it. I plan to remove the flourescent unit from my tank and use 2x 50cm White led strips and 2x 50cm blue led strips wired in parallel, arranged across the glass shelf the existing unit sits on.

I'll let you know how I get on.  8)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2016, 11:32:20 PM »
Please do...and write an idiots guide for me please  :cheers:

Offline ColinB

« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2016, 08:28:50 AM »
...I have an unused 12v power supply amongst other cables and stuff in the garage. It's a 5 amp unit rated at max 70 or 84 watts depending on what google result you find, unfortunately the wattage isn't marked.

If the output from your 12V power supply is 5A, the the output power is 60Watts. Voltage x Current = Power

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2016, 09:22:41 AM »
...I have an unused 12v power supply amongst other cables and stuff in the garage. It's a 5 amp unit rated at max 70 or 84 watts depending on what google result you find, unfortunately the wattage isn't marked.

If the output from your 12V power supply is 5A, the the output power is 60Watts. Voltage x Current = Power

My NVQ Engineering science is coming back to me slowly  :-[

I did think that but I Googled it as well to see the spec. Interestingly I saw 70 or 84W but I didn't see 60. Which is still plenty for its intended use.

I'll upgrade to a dedicated LED driver power supply once I have a play with this power supply and the white LEDs...

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2016, 10:18:45 AM »
Hey Paddy,

I hope it all goes well. If you need any help with the LEDs or the TC420 just stick a reply on here (I still get the notifications :)) or drop me an email on my web site http://www.TC420.net and I'll do what I can to help.

My projects are on hold at the moment, partly because I've decided to go saltwater with the 6' tank and also needing to save up for a new fridge freezer :/

All the info for strip LEDs and the TC420 unit it's self is on my web site, and I has all the information to get it working with high power LEDs, I'm just waiting till I build it myself so that I can a) proove the concept and b) take detailed photos to make things easier.

Fiona, there is a guide on my web site for LEDs, let me know if it's too complicated and I'll see what I can do to make it easier to understand. I'd love the feedback :)

Good luck with all your projects

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2016, 10:33:14 AM »
I have bookmarked your website Darren, will have a good play about with the LED's and a good mooch around your site when I come back from holiday next weekend. My white LED strip arrived this morning and the missus kicked off cos I'd bought more "rubbish"

ME: "It cost £3.75 delivered, free postage..."
Her: "Oh. Yeah but still, do you need it?"
Me: "It'll save electricity and pay for itself in less than a fortnight"
Her: "Ok, fine, whatever"

::)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "DIY Lighting project (LED strips)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
104 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
by daniel_james_taylor
2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 07:16:30 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2015, 02:24:41 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2016, 12:19:22 PM
by Fiona
31 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 08:38:36 PM
by MarquisMirage
5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2019, 08:18:42 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: