DIY Lighting Project (LED Strips)

Author Topic: DIY Lighting project (LED strips)  (Read 26643 times) 78 replies

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: DIY Lighting project (LED strips)
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 07:53:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I had then wondered if I could have the rearmost white LED strip on channel 2 and then use channels 3, 4 and 5 with each strip forward of the next to simulate the sun tracking forward.

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 07:55:44 PM »
I had then wondered if I could have the rearmost white LED strip on channel 2 and then use channels 3, 4 and 5 with each strip forward of the next to simulate the sun tracking forward.

Aim high, that's what I say:

#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 07:56:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
That's the TC420. That's not an AC power input, it's still needs to be DC 12-24V but can only be used with small loads (as opposed to the other side that can handle the full 20A).

You'll be able to do what you want easily with that, though I don't know how much you'll notice the light coming forward unless you're looking in from the side. You can program fades as long or short as you like. Here's a look at the timing interface

This is the timings I'm using on my Dad's marine tanks:
  • Channel 1 is the whites on his 4' FOWLR tank
  • Channel 2 are the blues on that tank
  • Channel 3 are the whites on his 2' nano reef
  • Channel 4 are the blues on that tank
  • Channel 5 is the light of the sumps in both tanks

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 08:02:48 PM »
That's the TC420. That's not an AC power input, it's still needs to be DC 12-24V but can only be used with small loads ....

Oops I meant DC.

This is the adapter I bought.

The Light strips are DC 12V and claim to be 12W/M. I'm using about 3.5 Metres in total and that power supply is powering it.

Will that power supply be adequate to also run the TC420 as well as the LED strips do you think?

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 08:18:50 PM »
Oops I meant DC.

This is the adapter I bought.

The Light strips are DC 12V and claim to be 12W/M. I'm using about 3.5 Metres in total and that power supply is powering it.

Will that power supply be adequate to also run the TC420 as well as the LED strips do you think?
You don't want to get them mixed up or things go bang ;)

The power supply should be fine, they unit it's self doesn't seem to draw much power at all.

12 w/m at 3.5 metres = 42 watts, which at 12v = 3.5 amps.

The power supply is only 24watts/2amps which means your LEDs are only running at about 1/2 power/brightness. The other problem is the nice Enrgish manual for the TC420 doesn't define a small or large power load, but I'd guess that 2A would be small. The only problem you may have if is the polarity of the plug on your power supply isn't the same way round as the TC420; again the manual is very helpful in not telling what it is ;D

Those 5630 LEDs seem to be pretty good. They're brighter than 5050's and use less power (5050's are 14.4w/m)

They're all the same unit, the cheapest I've seen on eBay recently was about £17.50. I got my first one on Amazon for about £19.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 08:33:35 PM »
Thanks for all your help Darren, I'm definitely inspired to get a TC420 now.

The power supply is only 24watts/2amps which means your LEDs are only running at about 1/2 power/brightness. ...

Thing is, I was wiring up 1M at a time, and testing as I went, and each strip remained the same brightness throughout, and didn't get any dimmer as I was adding the next strip.  ???

Would you mind linking me to a transformer which would provide ideal wattage using the terminals on the right of the TC420?

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 08:37:30 PM »

Aim high, that's what I say:

#Invalid YouTube Link include https#
That's just 1 set/controller. I'm probably going to use 2, maybe even 3, on this aquarium ;D

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 08:52:25 PM »
Thanks for all your help Darren, I'm definitely inspired to get a TC420 now.

Thing is, I was wiring up 1M at a time, and testing as I went, and each strip remained the same brightness throughout, and didn't get any dimmer as I was adding the next strip.  ???

Would mind linking me to a transformer which would provide ideal wattage using the terminals on the right of the TC420?
Welcome to the dark side ;D

To be honest, if you're happy with the brightness, just use the supply you have. If the plug turns out to be the wrong way round just chop the plug off and wire it directly on the right hand side of the controller. I'd go that route first :) If you decide you want to try a different power supply, I'd add 10% to the figure you have as a safety/overhead margin and get a power supply rated for that or above.

So you'd need a power supply with a regulated 12v output rated at 46 watts / 4 amps or above.

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-5V-12V-24V-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-for-LED-Strip-CCTV-Prototyping-/331786907201?var=&hash=item4d400a6e41:m:mxMDpYmbMvdC49Bg83bq3lg (12v 5amp) or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-LED-Driver-50-Watt-12-v-volt-IP67-power-supply-transformer-outdoor-/121837905263?hash=item1c5e1ae56f:g:GToAAOSwHQ9WasHi The 2nd one is waterproof, so may be a better option.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 08:59:03 PM »
Thanks again Darren :cheers:

My wife already likes my aquarium but she loves the idea of the dusk/dawn gradual lighting.  :))

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
I really need to turn my laptop off, you guys have got me wanting a gradual lighting system as well!!!!  :o :o

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 09:05:55 PM »
Thanks again Darren :cheers:

My wife already likes my aquarium but she loves the idea of the dusk/dawn gradual lighting.  :))
No problem :)

It's always handy to keep the wife happy. Mine would like less fish tanks, but still ends up looking at them  :))

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2016, 04:35:21 PM »
I don't suppose you have a video showing your unit ramping up the light, or fading down?
Simon, I've uploaded a video now of the actual unit. It's not brilliant, too much sun coming in and shaky hands  :P I will make a decent one when I get round to it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKScRQXiqp8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKScRQXiqp8</a>

This is the TC420's demo mode (using my own program) running at 256 times faster than normal.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »
Superb! Thanks mate, I appreciate it.

It's convinced me, I think I'll be ordering my TC420 next week.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 12:18:01 PM »
WOW! That looks amazing, I wish I was technically minded.

Lovely tank btw Darren

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
WOW! That looks amazing, I wish I was technically minded.

Lovely tank btw Darren
Thanks Fiona, though at the moment I don't think it looks all that good. It will, but not yet ;)

As for the technical side of things, it doesn't have to be overly technical. For the physical side, it can be a simple as sticking on some strips, maybe soldering on some wires, and doing up some screws. With the software, if you can use a calendar on a computer, you're pretty much there :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
Hmmm methinks there's a bit more to it than that  :P

I must confess I hate the way the fish panic when the light goes off and I have a threadfin that reacts badly when the light goes on. The poor thing loses colour and sits in the bubbles from the airstone almost trembling.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 04:06:15 PM »
I find my fish are fine so long as there is good ambient light when I switch on or off. In the morning, I leave the tank in good ambient light (either daylight or room light) for several minutes before I switch the tank lights on, in the evening the reverse. A good reason not to use timers.

When I go to switch off in the evening, all of the fish swim to the front of the tank eagerly looking for more food. When I then just switch off the light, they all look so disappointed ...................... or is it just my imagination.........?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »
Who knows what goes on in the minds of our fishy friends  :)

My lights are set to go on a 2pm and go off at 10pm so you think they'd be used to it by now. They certainly know when its feeding time, they all mill about in the top left.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2016, 11:04:32 PM »
When I go to switch off in the evening, all of the fish swim to the front of the tank eagerly looking for more food. When I then just switch off the light, they all look so disappointed ...................... or is it just my imagination.........?
Not your imagination. We went out this evening and so the lamp adjacent to the fishtank was switched off 3 hours earlier than usual. Some swam down from their usual locations to see what was up. The indignant look from 12 sets of eyes was unmistakable - as though they'd been unfairly put to bed early and wanted to know what on earth they had done to deserve that. Far more goes on inside their wee heads than they're given credit for. :)

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 08:50:40 AM »
 :rotfl:
Once I had dried my eyes after laughing way too hard at the pervious couple of comments I thought I should confess that when I go out I leave certain lights on for exactly that reason. I don't know if they appreciate having a late night when I do, but hopefully they will also learn that perhaps they wont get fed quite so early in the morning when we've all had a late night.
 :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "DIY Lighting project (LED strips)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
104 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
by daniel_james_taylor
2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 07:16:30 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2015, 02:24:41 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2016, 12:19:22 PM
by Fiona
31 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 08:38:36 PM
by MarquisMirage
5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2019, 08:18:42 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: