Author Topic: DIY Aquarium Ornaments and Caves  (Read 7915 times) 2 replies

Offline Bubblychaz

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
DIY Aquarium Ornaments and Caves
« on: October 14, 2015, 07:14:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey!

So Ive been looking into making some ornaments for aquariums and some caves too!

Ive read alot about using polymer clay or normal clay which is used to make terracotta earthenware as long as it is heated in a kiln. Anyone got any experience here?

Looking at some ornaments, most ornaments are made from polyresin.. is this polyester resin or Polyurethane Resin, does anyone know?

I also heard someone say they put lightweight garden ornaments in their aquarium?? I dont even know how that'd work because arent most garden ornaments made from cement like Portland cement which I doubt is submersible.

What im looking at doing is making some caves and things from clay,
But then also making latex moulds of ornaments and things and then using a polyresin or something for ornaments.

Polyurethane seems to be more like an ornament casting product
polyester seems to be more like a glass/plastic casting product.
Unless im missing something?

I looked at epoxy resin too and that seems to be a glass/plastic resin too.

Im looking for something similar outcome to what a cup or pot or one of those paint your own money box things you can buy where its like a ceramic and then you paint.

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Platy (7) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cherry Barb (8) - Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (1) - Galaxy Rasbora (5) - Slender Harlequin (5) - Dwarf Chain Loach (8) - Angelfish (4) - Siamese Flying Fox (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: DIY Aquarium Ornaments and Caves
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 07:25:40 PM »
I haven't had any experience with making my own ornaments in this way. But I can give you a few dos and don'ts.

I know that terracotta plant pots are OK because I use them with no problems, so whatever it is they are made from is fine.
Cyanoacrylate superglues are fine as long as they have dried thoroughly.
Plastic drainpipe tubing can be used in the tank - but be careful as some types are treated with chemicals.
Silicone sealant can be used for anything from joining things together (note, it doesn't adhere well to plastics) and also to glue sand or gravel to something to make it look nicer (eg drainpipe). Make sure it does not contain anti mould agents and let it cure for at least 48 hours.

Paint should be avoided as it can be toxic and can flake off, and most fish would mistake it for food. I am also wary of bought plastic ornaments as most of mine no longer have any paint on them due to snails.

Sorry I can't be more help on the materials you ask about  :(

Offline Bubblychaz

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: DIY Aquarium Ornaments and Caves
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 07:33:51 PM »
With pots, I know the lighter weight pots are from earthware clay and the heavier pots are stoneware. Guy at homebase told me :P

So an aquarium you want earthware. Which as far as I can see is heated different and made up of a clay which they also use in schools, so the easy moulding clay. Just had a reply from someone on ebay. Cant make any clay things without a Kiln. The temp has to hit at least 1200! A kiln is around £500! Guess thats a conversation Ill have with my dad see what he can build as a gas powered DIY kiln could hit that and be made for £100. At that point these pots will no longer just be a hobby but ill have to make some clay caves to sell to make my money back.

If I can figure out the garden ornament thing, That also could be an option. Latex moulds and create ornament using concrete. I might get hold some companies and ask them for the chemical list within their mortars and plaster casting and see what they have thats submersible. For example these guys http://www.benam.co.uk/howto/problem-free-polyurethane-castings
Someone did a youtube video of a 3d background for their tank and got the supply off them and said their customer service and knowlegde was amazing.

Will keep this thread up todate as I find out more :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Platy (7) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cherry Barb (8) - Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (1) - Galaxy Rasbora (5) - Slender Harlequin (5) - Dwarf Chain Loach (8) - Angelfish (4) - Siamese Flying Fox (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "DIY Aquarium Ornaments and Caves"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post December 07, 2012, 07:17:42 PM
by Natalia
12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 04:36:18 PM
by SteveS
5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 07:26:02 PM
by suep
6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 09:23:52 AM
by rascal_russ83
32 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 06:38:05 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 10:41:05 PM
by fcmf
6 Replies
Last post February 05, 2018, 06:29:26 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: