Disinfecting Equipment

Author Topic: Disinfecting equipment  (Read 10955 times) 11 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Disinfecting equipment
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello folks!!

Just wondered what is the most effective way to disinfect aquarium equipment such as siphons, nets, jugs, buckets but also ornaments such as plastic plants and gravel?

I thought other newbie fish keepers may find this information useful too!

FC76

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Disinfecting equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 05:13:15 PM »
If the tank needs to be deep cleaned (eg it held fish with a very infectious disease and you want to make 100% sure) you can use dilute bleach - cheap supermarket basic range bleach which contains no surfactants or perfume, or baby bottle sterilising solution, all diluted 1 part bleach and 9 parts water. Rinse very thoroughly with water then a final rinse with water overdosed with dechlorinator.
The same can be used for equipment, though I wouldn't recommend bleach for a substrate; I would just throw that away.

But for most diseases, a thorough wash and scrub then allowing the tank and equipment to dry will kill most fish pathogens. They can't survive being dried out. But if you are thinking about lymphocystis, I admit that I did bleach the the tank and equipment that the infected betta was in to be on the safe side. I threw away the filter media and did a fishless cycle before getting the next betta. I'd never actually done one before!

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:13:41 PM »
Cool!!

Would this be ok? Or should I be sure of the 'other ingredients'?

Tesco Everyday Value Thin Bleach contains amongst other ingredients: Less than 5% Chlorine based bleaching agent, Disinfectant: Sodium Hypochlorite 1.5g per 100g.

This is only £0.29 for two litres!!!!

I'm guessing the reason you need to wash with dechlorinated water is to counteract the chlorine ( albeit a small amount) of chlorine in bleach?

Or would this be preferable?

Milton sterilising fluid- Kills 99.9% of germs*
*Bactericidal: in 5 minutes EN1040, EN1276 at (0.5% V/V), EN13697 (at 1.8% V/V). Active on MRSA. Fungicidal: in 15 minutes EN1275 on Candida albicans (germ causing thrush) EN1650. Virucidal: in 15 minutes NFT72-180. Active on Rotavirus.   Active Ingredient: Sodium Hypochlorite (CAS: 7681-52-9): 2% w/w

FC76

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 07:19:11 PM »
The Tesco one is fine. And cheaper  ;) The Milton is the same chemical, just a tad more concentrated (Tesco 1.5%, Milton 2%). But by the time you've diluted it they will be virtually the same.

And yes, the dechlorinator is to remove every trace of the bleach, which is chlorine.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »
I was just wondering if there was a method I could use to clean plants to stop unwanted guests? I planted up my new tank with plants from MA and another aquatic shop whose name eludes me atm and noticed snails in there when I turned the light on this morning. I've also got some lovely plants in one of my tanks that I'd love to propagate but as that tank has a leech problem until I can find a safe and reliable method to clean the plants I cant do this.

Using google search I found methods using solutions of potassium permanganate or bleach or copper sulphate or salt and was wondering if anybody here does this? Obviously you'd need to rinse the plants well after.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
You would have to remove every trace of copper sulphate before the plants went in your tank if you have any inverts (snails you want, shrimps).
Potassium permanganate should be OK but how effective it is at killing plant hitch-hikers I couldn't say.

I quarantine all my plants with carbon in the filter to remove anything that might kill my snails and shrimps. I got some bolbitis from MA a month or so ago, and I had tiny ramshorn snails and a bladder/tadpole snail appear in the tank. I've kept the bladder/tadpole snail; hopefully when it gets bigger I'll be able to identify what it is. It is still too small to tell if the whorls go clockwise or anticlockwise.
You could try quarantining any plants and maybe put something a hitch-hiker finds irresistible on the bottom of the tank to entice them out of the plants. Keeping the tank bare bottomed would get over the problem of any hitch-hiker hiding in the substrate.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 03:12:31 PM »
I very much doubt if you really have a leech problem. The only leeches that could survive in a tank would be those that feed on snails, which you might not think a bad thing. Very few species of leech attack fish and they are all long thin species which swim freely and quickly through the water, which they have to do to catch fish. So unless you have seen them swimming around and your fish have been attacked and have scars over their bodies, any leeches (if that's what they really are) would be completely harmless. But I doubt if they are leeches.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »
I've never seen any swimming, they move by pushing head end forward and then pulling the rest after it...like a leech does. I did find 1 big one about  3/4 of an inch long when I first planted up the tank (my first ever tank) and naively thought that removing that solved the problem. I've never seen any on a fish and generally I find them on the underside of pebbles. Maybe I'm just being a bit squeemish about the things  :-\

and Sue I'd also put the plants in water with a water conditioner for a while to make sure there was no copper left before I added them to a tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 07:30:23 PM »
I'd also put the plants in water with a water conditioner for a while to make sure there was no copper left before I added them to a tank.

It's your assassins that would be at risk from copper. I also use Polyfilter in the filter to remove copper.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 07:50:29 PM »
Funnily enough the none of the snails seem to have been in the least bit bothered by eSHa 2000 which is copper based. I took some assassins out of the tank I treated so I wouldn't lose them all but the ones I left just seemed to lock themselves down for the duration of the treatment. Maybe it'd be a bit different if my water was 100% conditioner free  ??? who knows

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »
Not all snails are equally affected. Pest snails seem almost immune to things that kill others. I know from experience that nerites are sensitive to just about everything  :-\

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 08:08:28 PM »
I doubt a nuclear blast would clear the common snails from the tank  :rotfl: damned things get everywhere

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Disinfecting equipment"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2014, 08:11:29 PM
by foxhound
9 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 10:12:31 AM
by Sue
23 Replies
Last post January 03, 2017, 10:06:06 PM
by Andy The Minion
0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2019, 12:16:24 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: