Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Dim lighting suggestions?
« on: March 05, 2016, 08:26:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi folks,

As previously mentioned, I stopped using a light in my tank after the tetras developed an aversion to it and seemed traumatised any time it was switched on (http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/general-fishkeeping-advice/advice-re-change-of-lighting/msg15445/#msg15445) although they are used to the dim light of a table lamp which sits beside the tank. As the fish seemed happy and content, I've just let the situation remain like this. Consequently, I've only ever had silk plants in the aquarium as I reckoned that even Java fern would struggle to survive.

During the week, inspired possibly by the various posts of people's tanks, and wondering how much easier it would be to see the fish with the tanklight on, I decided to experiment by switching on the light again. The good news is that the fish's reaction wasn't as adverse as previously - tetras remained coloured and didn't cower/shake (Richard W's excellent suggestion of getting more fish of similar size to the tetras to make them feel safer and more confident has definitely helped generally and re this). However, both the tetras and harlequins did keep their heads hidden under the plants and, any time they came out to try swimming, they quickly shot in for cover under the plants or the wood, despite me adjusting the two taller plants to cover as much of the water surface as possible. [The pics seem to make the tank look bearer than it is - the coverage seems to be greater than this "in real life".]

Having already tried the original Sun-Glo and the less-bright Aqua-Glo light, I think the only way that it's going to be possible to have a tank light (which I'd quite like to view the fish better and possibly to be able to grow some Java fern) is if I go for something dimmer. I'm attaching here pics of the tank with the table lamp on and the Aqua-Glo light - any suggestions for something in between? [I appreciate, from the previous thread, that black substrate might help the situation too, so I'll revisit that plan which I shelved at the time.] Thanks.

Offline Sue

Re: Dim lighting suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:06:58 PM »
Have you tried using live floating plants? Anything from water lettuce down to duckweed? They do shade the tank quite a lot, and unless you are like me (who can even kill duckweed  :o ) they should grow well as they can take carbon dioxide from the air. You can even grow hornwort as a floating plant.

Look for:
Azolla caroliniana
Limnobium laevigatum
Pistia stratiotes
Salvinia natans

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 09:56:13 PM »
I've noticed the glowlight tetras don't enjoy the light that much, they're bush lurkees, unless its feeding time, however they really appreciate the plant cover and they wouldn't be able to swim around between the plant stems at mid level doing their own thing if I didn't have lights. Also I use a timer switch so the lights go on and off at regular times.

Im not sure that helps you much but with lights you can use fast growing stem plants that will provide a canopy, if you have slow moving water you can use amazonian frogbit, java ferns and anubias can cope with the light left for them. Your fish will feel safer having plants to hide in.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 11:31:27 PM »
I bought one of these for my tank.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161753663234?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=460729567425&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It has some harsh colours and patterns but the RGB LED's give you the option of remotely selecting a solid colour you prefer and as far as I can tell, half a dozen brightness settings. Apparently the White setting is also conducive to plant growth but I'm taking that with a pinch of salt and keeping the Flourescent tubes that come with the tank as well...

The kit comes with the LED strip (choose from 18, 28, 37, 48 and 57cm lengths), power supply, IR Receiver, in-line power switch, remote control and x4 suckers for attaching it to the glass. Superb value and I can vouch for it, my 57cm strip is impressive so far.

#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

It's also "submersible!"

....I'll take their word for it.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 09:34:45 AM »
Thanks, folks - all very helpful.

My plantkeeping skills are/were non-existent but, having been bought a plant a couple of weeks ago and succeeded in keeping it alive on the windowsill for a whole 2 weeks, there is a glimmer of hope...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 09:47:09 AM »
My experience with plants is that you have to experiment and find what works in your tank, some good staples for me are amazon swords (find a root tab containing iron) , java fern and anubias (don't plant then, tie to wood/rocks). These would go in the tank itself of course, but floating plants are also fairly indestructible too - frogbit is my preferred option. My advice would simply be to go for it and don't be disheartened when it doesn't go to plan, just try something else and you will find your niche.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Dim lighting suggestions?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2014, 09:35:24 PM
by dbaggie
31 Replies
Last post August 27, 2017, 11:42:24 AM
by Matt
16 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 06:15:52 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 07:35:49 AM
by Fishbeard
2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2018, 10:58:12 PM
by kdt1
8 Replies
Last post July 26, 2018, 07:32:25 PM
by Matt
10 Replies
Last post October 28, 2018, 02:32:40 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: