Ciano Aquarium

Author Topic: Ciano Aquarium  (Read 9572 times) 11 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Ciano Aquarium
« on: August 21, 2015, 08:14:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Guys,
How are you all? Sorry I've not been around, but have missed all you mad buggers :rotfl:

I have the offer of a Ciano Emotions 100 aquarium....has anyone any experience of these tanks? If so, what do you think please?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Ciano Aquarium
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »
Long time, no see  ;D

Nice looking tank, but the instructions leave a bit to be desired!

If the tank itself looks well built, go for it. Things like the filter and heater can always be replaced if you feel they are not up to standard. I think the heater goes inside the filter casing though the instructions seem to be saying that the only medium is a sponge which does sound a bit odd for a tank that size - and 175 litres is a nice sized tank.

Offline Resa

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
Thanks Sue. Good to see you're still here :)
I should have known you would be the first to offer help....and to have researched the tank for me.
I couldn't find out much and also thought they didn't give much info.

When you say check whether it's well made, what should I look for? The lady who has the tank says it has an internal filter but that she has an external one too. I didn't see the info about it only being a sponge....will that be a problem or should I change the filter? If so, what one would you recommend?
Thanks Sue for your help.

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 09:43:17 PM »
Check that the seals look intact and have plenty of silicone on them - and not looking as though it's about to fall off. Check that the lid opens and shuts smoothly. Make sure the tank looks nice and 'squared', ie not twisted. Look at the cabinet for splitting or veneer coming off - these indicate that water has got inside which is not good with the usual plastic veneered chipboard.

Is the seller including the external filter? If she is, I'd run that one. The manual gives so little info on the filter though the diagram seems to show just one small sponge. If that's right, I would use another filter instead of or as well as the filter it comes with. If the seller isn't including the external, I'd look into getting your own, or possibly a big internal like the Eheim Biopower or Fluval U series.
If the diagram is at all accurate, the size of the sponge doesn't look nearly big enough for a 175 litre tank. And I would have expected some other media in there too, such as ceramic noodles. It's mainly filters for small tanks that use just sponge.

Offline Resa

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:10:57 PM »
Thanks Sue. I forgot to say, whilst the cabinet is available, I won't be getting it as I just don't have any room for it. Hard to describe, but we have a sort of dwarf, brick built seating area where my current tank sits, and where I will site this one if I decide to get it. I'll have to try and find out if the tank needs to sit on some sort of base, or whether it can sit on it's own frame....a bit like the Rio juwel ones do (I think?)
So I guess I will have to go with an internal filter as there won't be a cabinet to site an external in?

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »
Hi Resa, good to have you back! the tank sounds great. What do you plan to put in it? :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »
You just need to check whether it is flat bottomed (the whole bottom glass touching the surface) or a floating base like the Rio. You can buy base mats made of a sort of foam or use polystyrene tiles/sheets for flat bottomed tanks. My 180 litre came with a sheet of inch thick black polystyrene so that sort of thing does exist.
But even with a floating base, the thing it is on does need to be reasonably smooth.

Have a look at the internal it comes with and use your judgement. The manual is just too useless to say for sure. Both those filters I mentioned would be good, long lasting replacements if you feel the current one is not enough.

Is this tank instead of or as well as the existing one?  :)

Offline Resa

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 08:52:01 PM »
Hi Diz :wave: How are you?

Hoping I don't jinx things here, but I still have all my fish that I had when I was last here except one platy.
My peppered cories are absolutely beautiful now they have matured.
I want to add some more pandas and I am still keen on dwarf rainbow fish, which were on my original list...but I'll have to sort out how many fish I can add and what combo. I like honey gouramis too.....decisions, decisions :-\

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thank you for those tips, it is fairly smooth being tiled, but I will look out for the thick polystyrene.

I was thinking of keeping my current tank going, at least while I introduce my new fish so I can quarantine them. I would hate to lose any of my original fish by introducing some disease or other. On that subject, how long should I quarantine for?
My son wants us to use the old tank for a puffer fish though, and whilst I love them I'm not sure about that.
Our other son and his family are moving here in the next 3-4 months, so he has just had to sell his beloved marine set up. It was a HUGE tank with some really beautiful fish and anemones etc so he is more than a bit sad about that, but moving it to France was just a logistical nightmare! Several of his fish he has had for 12 years since he first had a marine tank and were really big. He was offered a completely insulting price for them from the place he has always bought from.
At least though, I will have a fellow fish fan here :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »
With those future plans, I would say leave the fish in your current tank and set up the new one. If you keep the filter, check it can handle all your fish by dosing ammonia to 3ppm and see if you have zero ammonia and nitrite after 24 hours. If you do, you can move all your fish. If you don't, continue adding ammonia as for a fishless cycle until you do get those zeros after 24 hours. And of course you'll need to cycle a new filter if you decide on that, though using a bit of media from the current tank would speed things up.
Once the new tank is ready, you can move all the fish over and get some more for the old tank (quarantine tank) within 3 or 4 days. Leave them in there for at least 2 weeks - longer if they turn out to be sick and need treatment.
Then just replace the quarantined fish with puffers, being careful to make sure you research them first as some must be kept alone while others are brackish fish, not freshwater.
Or ignore your son and get whatever fish you want  ;)

It must have been heartbreaking for your other son  :'( . I would hate to part with my tanks.

Offline Resa

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 01:37:56 AM »
Ok...so here's the update. First the good news. Yesterday we drove to Toulouse to look at the Ciano tank, it looked lovely and I duly did Sues checks. So, am now the proud owner of a 175 litre tank.  She offered me some co2 stuff too but since I've only read a bit about that I decided to pass on that.
Anyway, put my lovely new tank in the back of our sprinter van with a multitude of padding, cushions, blankets etc......the tank that is, not the van and set off.
Now the bad news.....my tank is still somewhere in Toulouse, because the stupid van broke down and had to be low loaded away! :(
The insurance breakdown covers us for a taxi home, (which is just as well as the cab fare was 285 euros by the time we got home :sick: ) but we had no idea if the car they would send would be big enough for the tank and us with all our bits & bobs.....we also had our 5 year old grand-daughter with us....and she doesn't travel light! So had to leave the tank in the van after begging the breakdown guy to be very careful!
So if we can ever afford the ransom to get the van back out of the Mercedes garage it has gone to, I might be able to start putting together my new tank.rd
Today, we took my car to another garage as that has broken down, AND had to cancel a sold out f&c's night tonight as our delivery from the UK with all our fish...the cod sort..didn't arrive because of the chaos at Calais....second time in 3 weeks.
So there you are, another episode in lifes rich tapestry....maybe we'll win the euromillions tomorrow :-\

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 12:23:05 PM »
If bad news comes in threes, you should be OK from now on  :-\

Fingers crossed that the tank makes it OK.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Ciano Aquarium"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post December 07, 2012, 07:17:42 PM
by Natalia
12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 04:36:18 PM
by SteveS
6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 09:23:52 AM
by rascal_russ83
13 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 07:15:34 PM
by Digs1923
6 Replies
Last post September 25, 2014, 01:43:52 AM
by AndreaC
4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 03:43:58 PM
by Richard W
7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 01:14:58 PM
by Extreme_One

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: