Biorb Flow 30l.

Author Topic: Biorb Flow 30l.  (Read 13846 times) 16 replies

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
Biorb Flow 30l.
« on: September 17, 2015, 12:26:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Would a Biorb 30l be any good for a Betta/shrimp tank? I know the shrimps won't be a problem but the Betta?
My Mrs has found one going really cheap and would like advice before jumping on the Betta wagon.
The are other options for stock, clearly, but a Betta will be my first choice.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Biorb Flow 30l.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 12:39:47 PM »
That biorb should be fine. The usual problem with bettas and biorbs if that the spherical one has a very small surface area exposed to air, but this isn't a problem with the Flow range - large rectangular surface with air gap above. And 30 litres is fine for a betta, though if you keep shrimps with a betta it might well eat them.

I don't know how much you know about biorbs but the filtration system is different from other tanks. It is basically an undergravel filter. There is a filter cartridge and ceramic media which is in the form of rocks that are spread out on the floor of the tank. Instructions for you to read before getting the tank.

The downside to the filter cartridge is that it contains carbon (not necessary) and zeolite (has no place in a cycled tank) My advice would be to break open the cartridge and fill it with sponge. Use some sponge from your main tank to seed the cycle  ;)

Ignore the bit in the instructions where they say to let it  run for 24 hours, add the biological booster then get fish  :o

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 12:52:59 PM »
You are an absolute diamond!
I wouldn't consider a spherical tank for any fish, especially one with a labyrinth organ.
I had the same thought with using my existing media to help seed.
That's a shame with the shrimps, going slightly off topic, is there anything that could cohabit with a Betta?

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 01:30:18 PM »
There is very little that can be safely kept with a betta. The usual recommendations are cories because they live on the bottom and are monochrome but not on those rough stones in all types of biorb. Or otos (same reasons) but they need a bigger tank to provide the amount of algae a shoal would need.
You could try a snail once the tank has grown some algae. I've always had nerites with my bettas, until the current one spent most of his time flaring at the one in his tank when it climbed the glass and 'threatened' his bubble nest. I had to move it to another tank.

Some bettas are fine with shrimps, some aren't, and you only find out which you have after you put the shrimps in  :(

Provided you don't mind the look of a tank with just a betta, they are better off alone.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 06:17:48 PM »
Alex, if you look on ebay for Biohome gravel by Tynevalley you will see he has "invented" a gravel especially for biohome/orbs. He claims it will eventually use up ammonia
He has also done a video on Youtube explaining why he thought of it and howw to use it.
I don't have a bio orb but I did buy the gravel for my small filters and it appears to work well.

Just a thought.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »
Thanks Sanjo, I've had a look and it does look like clever stuff.
I don't mind a solitary Betta, a couple of snails would be a good idea though.
I've just won the Biorb on a bidding site for £23!  Betta tank is on!

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »
That is a good buy, have you seen how much they cost new?

I assume it is second hand? If it is, the filter box could be well used so I'd definitely replace what's inside.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
Yeah it is 2nd hand, slightly miss sold as it looks like a 15L at first glance now it's in my hands, saying that it has come with a heater which wasn't advertised. Oh yeah, that's why I jumped on it  ;D
I will be doing, I replaced the media on my jewel as that was 2nd hand as well.
Should I reconsider stocking possibilities considering the size?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »
Just looked on their website, and they do make a 15 litre tank. Did the seller say it was a 30 litre? If he did, do you have any comeback for mis-advertising? (Though I don't think that would apply to second hand itmes on bidding sites  ??? )

And I would also make some careful measurements as manufacturers often quote the entire thing as the volume, including the thickness of the glass and the air gap you have to leave on top of the water. It could turn out to be 11 or 12 litres if they do that.
Hmmm, just googled the tank and it comes up on Pets at Home where they do give the dimensions, unlike reef-one. They say it is 32 x 31 x 21 which works out as 14.112 litres - and that will be the total size so the water volume will be 11 to 12 litres. Or even less once you put the media on the bottom.

I'm not sure there are any fish that can be kept in a tank that small, not even a betta  :( And I'd be concerned about shrimp with the style of filter as baby shrimps will be sucked into the substrate.

However........ Now you have the tank, have good look at it. Would it be possible to change the filter? The manual says it is powered by an air pump. Is it at all possible to replace the whole filter set up with a sponge filter connected to whatever the air pump connects to inside the tank? The manual doesn't show that very clearly. By sponge filter I mean something like this. This type of filter is highly recommended for shrimps and fry. It would allow you to use a thin layer of sand on the bottom, freeing up some space.
Then get some shrimps.

You would have to cycle a sponge filter of course. But if you could find some way of running it in the main tank for a couple of weeks it would get some bacteria in the sponge, though you'd still need to do a fishless cycle afterwards to build up the bacteria numbers. The good news is that you wouldn't need 3ppm ammonia for just shrimp, 2 ppm or even one would be enough.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 03:30:38 PM »
It was advertised as a 20l but I pulled them up about the size.
The previous owner did have a fish in it, not specified what it is, and it had died.
It does look cramped with all the bits inside.
I get my bits from pets at home, including my fish. The guys I deal with have all got tanks and very knowledgeable about breeds  etc.  So I'll have a quick natter with them. I've attached a couple of photos so you can get a better idea of size. My Juwel is 100cm in length with a 120L capacity.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 03:50:19 PM »
Is it an optical illusion, or does it look quite big sitting next to your 120 litre? You have measured it to check?
Looking at all the substrate/media and decor, there must be some way to make more room inside. If you could find some way of filtering the tank without using the box and having to have a lot of substrate as the biological medium, you could get more space by using a lot less substrate. A HOB filter would be ideal, but not with the lid on the tank  :-\
And with careful selection of decor, you would still have room left. But fish are a definite no. There is nothing that would be happy in that volume. Survive perhaps, but not thrive.
But as I said, shrimps would be fine, just not with an undergravel filter sucking the baby shrimps down into the substrate.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 04:15:52 PM »
The side face is quite large, very square as you can see, but the front face is very narrow. Not quite half the size of the side faces.
I've just checked and by the measurements it is the 15L model.
I'll have a play with the substrate and decor this evening when the kids are in bed.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 09:05:23 PM »
Woo hoo I can hear myself think.
From what I can see there is slight gap underneath the pump cage. Do you think it would be possible to manipulate some sponge media to fit the gap?
I've also had another thought of carpeting the substrate in Java Moss, would this stop the larvae or new hatchlings from becoming casualties?

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 09:43:57 PM »
Try anything you can think of for a filter.

If you use any form of undergravel filter, you can't plant real plants in the substrate. Well, you can but the water flow past the roots won't do them much good. It's one of the drawbacks of UG filters. If you do manage to contrapt something with sponge in the gap you would have to be careful exactly how it sucks water in. If you could manage something where the water went through a chunk of sponge but didn't need to go through the substrate, that could work. Perhaps even just stuff the box with sponge.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 11:40:30 PM »
The shrimp tank is out the window as well. The Mrs says they creep her out.
All though she did redeem herself by getting me a nano tetra one 30l. So the Betta tank is back on I've got a very good idea of how to set it up and will post in the gallery once I've got it sorted. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 06:44:46 PM »
A lot of people don't like shrimps because of all those legs. And a number can't cope with the idea of snails. I like them both  ;D

Oooh a new 30 litre! Definitely a good tank for a betta. We will have to keep a close eye on the gallery.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 07:02:23 PM »
I'm not going to be able to have snails either because they're "ewwww" according to my oldest lol.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Biorb Flow 30l."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 08:10:49 PM
by buranda
4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 02:08:22 PM
by Richard W
3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 08:11:59 PM
by Extreme_One
49 Replies
Last post March 28, 2016, 04:02:57 PM
by BlindDogStanley
19 Replies
Last post October 29, 2016, 06:11:39 PM
by Littlefish
16 Replies
Last post September 15, 2016, 08:47:55 PM
by fcmf
Flow

Started by sjames « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

21 Replies
Last post January 06, 2017, 04:35:51 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: