Biorb 60 Second Hand

Author Topic: Biorb 60 second hand  (Read 8016 times) 15 replies

Offline Naomi12345

• Fishy Member
Biorb 60 second hand
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:39:28 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have bought a second hand round biorb which is up and running ok.  Concern with the heater, put it up to max and only 22 degrees when came down this morning.... Have tried to turn it up again and will look again later. Also problems keeping heater in place but have ordered a stand as curved surface is a problem!!!

Should I just buy a new heater?  It came with two and one definitely not working. Current one is 50watt which should be sufficient for a tank of this size! 

Also  media has been used before and was still wet when I picked it up.... Was going to get setup stable and try fish first. How long will media keep it's goodness when out of water?

Any advice welcome!!!!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (7) - Golden Barb (3) - Black Phantom Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (1) - Neon Tetra (10) - Slender Harlequin (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Flame Tetra (6) - Platy (8) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Neon Tetra (9) - Honey Gourami (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Biorb 60 second hand
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:05:48 AM »
Heaters - the guideline is 1 watt per litre so 50w is a bit underpowered for 60 litres. It also depends on the make; as with all things in life you get what you pay for, generally speaking.
If the heater is set to max and it won't keep the water warm enough, it sounds a though you need a new one. I'd go for a 100w heater with a 60 litre tank. Heaters are rarely accurately calibrated, so they rarely heat the water to the exact temp you set, but it's not this case with your newly acquired one as it is set to max.

Filter - keeping the media wet ensures a better survival rate, but we now know that the bacteria can survive if the media is just damp because they are embedded in the biofilm. The thing to do is set everything up and add a 3ppm dose of ammonia. If you test 24 hours later and find zero ammonia and nitrite, you know enough bacteria survived and it is safe to get fish. If there is still some amm and/or nit after 24 hours, you need to continue with a fishless cycle or get a very few fish (if there are only small readings next day) and stock slowly as for a fish-in cycle. Though in the latter case, do a water change to get rid of the trace before adding your few fish.

Offline Naomi12345

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:25:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I have always wanted to try out a fish less cycle, can you recommend a brand of ammonia as find it all very confusing!!! Have read the article on here and will use that as a reference.

Will check heater tonight, this one is nearly new and cost £35 according to previous owner  so seems fairly ok  but as you say may need larger one and will look into 100w one... And want temperature to be higher as will cycle quicker!!

Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (7) - Golden Barb (3) - Black Phantom Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (1) - Neon Tetra (10) - Slender Harlequin (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Flame Tetra (6) - Platy (8) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Neon Tetra (9) - Honey Gourami (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »
You can find ammonia in some branches of homebase, in the cleaning section. Failing that, Jeyes Kleen Off Household Ammonia from amazon/ebay, though I got mine from my local diy shop. Be careful as there are several products in the Kleen Off range in identical looking bottles and you don't want to get the wrong one! I have heard of someone who tried to cycle using drain cleaner......

You may find that you do have some bacteria still alive in the media. In this case adding ammonia will let you know if there are enough of them to get fish or if you need to grow more bacteria. Things could well go a lot faster than a fishless cycle with brand new media. With the biorb, the main biological media is the substrate, those rough looking lumps. I understand there is also a box which contains carbon and a sponge - there will be some bacteria in there too, but that is mainly for mechanical (sponge) and chemical (carbon) filtration.

Offline Naomi12345

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:12:29 PM »
Many thanks ordered ammonia should arrive soon and will just run until then....
Got the right one from amazon and tank reading 28.5 degrees when got in from work😊 so working ok! Will leave it there to cycle and turn to 26 before adding fish!!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:57:17 PM »
Once the ammonia arrives, add enough to get 3ppm. If it's Jeyes, it won't say on the bottle but I emailed them when I got mine and they said it's 9.5%. Your biorb will most likely hold less than 60 litres (most tanks hold less than they say it does). I would add 1.5ml ammonia and check the actual reading after half an hour-ish to allow it to mix. If it is somewhere between 2 and 4, that's fine. Check it, and nitrite after 24 hours. If both are zero there are enough bacteria for fish. Add 0.5ml ammonia every 2 or 3 days till you get fish to keep the bacteria fed.
If one or other are not zero after 24 hours, proceed with a fishless cycle. It should go quite quickly even if there are only a few live bacteria left - it's getting them started that's the long bit.

Offline Naomi12345

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:53:26 AM »
Many thanks sue! Very helpful it is jeyes so will follow your advice! It won't arrive for a couple of days but looking forward to starting!
Do you think I should put my decor in there or literally just leave it bare with ceramic media and filter to cycle? 

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »
There are two schools of thought. If you leave in with nothing but the filter media in there (the rocks on the bottom for a biorb) you won't get algae growing on the decor. But if you don't put decor in, you won't get biofilm and bacteria growing on that - though if you put them in and you get algae, you'll have to scrub it off and that'll scrub off the biofilm too. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it, just personal preference. I just put sand in the bottom when I cycled a tank last year as I didn't mind having an empty tank. I put the decor in after.

Offline Naomi12345

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:05:51 PM »
Ammonia arrived, 1.5 ml made 4ppm on scale will keep posted on progress!!

Will put decor in afterwards mainly as centre piece not arrived yet!!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:43:03 AM »
When you add the next 3ppm dose, I would add just 1ml rather than 1.5ml. The problem with adding too much ammonia is that it makes too much nitrite and too much nitrite can stall the cycle. 1ppm ammonia is converted to ~2.5ppm nitrite; 15ppm nitrite is when it stalls the cycle, which is made by 6ppm ammonia. So adding over 6ppm ammonia in total before the nitrite eaters have started growing can lead to over the stall amount of ammonia.

Offline Naomi12345

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 07:17:19 AM »
Thanks Sue unfortunately still same ammonia reading  36h after adding ammonia so looking like normal fish less cycle. Given this should I buy new ceramic media or will current stuff be ok and effective?

Will just add 1ml next time 😊

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
If the old stuff looks OK, you could still use it. It's if it looks cracked, dirty or clogged that would definitely need replacing.

If you'd prefer to get all new, now is the time to do it.

Offline Naomi12345

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 07:16:45 PM »
Ordered new and thinking of just adding so more media for the tank and also useful to hold plants in place.

Also ammonia reading unchanged after 5 days... Should I do a partial change or wait?

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 07:25:49 PM »
When I did a fishless cycle last year it took 13 days before anything happened. And it can take longer than that. Fishless cycling is a lesson in patience! So long as your ammonia reading is no higher than 4, you just need to wait, I'm afraid.

Offline Naomi12345

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 03:06:33 PM »
Very excited this morning ammonia 0.5, nitrite 5 and nitrate 80... Has had a kick start.. Should I do a water change or add more ammonia or wait until zero?

Have added more  new media and decor as planned!  Also sneaky addition of tiny amount of slime coat from main tank!!  Which may have made the difference!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 03:20:52 PM »
This is the first time ammonia has dropped?

If this is the case, you meet the ammonia below 0.5 and nitrite above 2.0 criteria and you are on point 6 of my 'How To' thread; add a 3ppm dose of ammonia and start testing every other day.
You will then wait to get 2 consecutive tests (two tests with a day of not testing between) where ammonia is zero on both days (point 8 of the How To thread). Don't add any more ammonia until you get these two zero ammonia readings.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Biorb 60 second hand"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 11:30:00 AM
by Aquamaid
9 Replies
Last post November 22, 2014, 09:49:14 AM
by Aquamaid
16 Replies
Last post September 25, 2015, 07:02:23 PM
by Alex_N
14 Replies
Last post November 17, 2015, 05:43:00 PM
by Sanjo
1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2016, 12:51:22 PM
by Robert
19 Replies
Last post October 29, 2016, 06:11:39 PM
by Littlefish
26 Replies
Last post April 07, 2021, 06:50:45 AM
by Corydude

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: