Bigger Tank

Author Topic: bigger tank  (Read 6833 times) 18 replies

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
bigger tank
« on: July 23, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi, is it easier to keep fish in a larger tank as i seem to have trouble keeping them in 60l or less.. any suggestions of bigger tanks would be appreciated , thanks ps at moment i have a 64l tank

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: bigger tank
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:17:17 PM »
Hi,

I have the Interpet Fish Pod 120L. I wrote a little review here.

I uploaded a short movie featuring the tank, but being honest you can't see much of the tank, only the inhabitants.

#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 06:15:03 AM »
I have 9 tanks which are all betwen 60 and 120 litre but I can't say the the larger ones are any easier to manage than the smaller. Getting the set up right in the first place, keeping the correct fish for the tank and following a working maintenance regime are the ingredients for succes whatever the tank size.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 12:42:55 PM »
I think when people talking about bigger tanks being easier, they mean easier than 25 to 30 litre tanks which are often overstocked with unsuitable fish.
The main advantage to larger tanks is that they can take bigger fish than small ones. I started out with a 60 litre tank, then got a 125 litre as well (much to my husband's dismay as he assumed it was a replacement). The 60 litre started to leak and was replaced by a 50 litre, then I replaced the 125 with a 180.
I currently have emperor tetras in the 180 which I could never have kept in the 125. The 50, which has the same footprint as the 60, has the small fish.
The downside to bigger tanks is that for the same % water change, you have to remove and refill more litres.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »
hi, i was thinking about moving up to 190l as i struggle with low ph and someone said getting a bigger tank would help . i suffer from ph spikes at the moment and struggle to get it up above 6! would a bigger tank have same issues as i guess the water is the same ..  i do regular maintenance on my tank , thanks

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »
Your water is very soft as well, if I remember correctly?

Unless you do something to increase your KH, it won't matter the tank size you'll still have problems with low pH. But a filter for a 190 litre tank will have plenty room inside for crushed coral which would make it easier to keep the pH stable.

Of course you could always keep really acid loving fish in your water. For example, most of the less common apistogrammas would suit it perfectly.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
Sounds like your water is similar to mine ie PH and probably low KH and GH. My PH fluctuated from 6.0-6.4 until I put some Tufa rock in; since then, it's been at a very stable 6.4, while the KH and GH have increased and remained stable too.  Crushed coral in the filter sounds a better plan but perhaps my experience is reassuring that it is possible to increase and stabilise the PH (and the KH and GH).

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 08:43:20 PM »
hi, your right sue i have many probs with low ph, i have no probs for months then a sudden crash and then my probs start, I'm going to get some crushed coral { i did get some crushed shells from pets at home ). if this stabilises my tank then i will prob go for a bigger tank too as i find fish keeping very rewarding when they all happy. i even had some fry a couple of weeks ago but they all died when i had my water probs again ..   :vcross:

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »
hi fcmf, what is tufa rock,is it used for calcium or something

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »
hi fcmf, what is tufa rock,is it used for calcium or something

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 08:58:05 PM »
hi , would caribsea florida crushed coral do and if so how much do you think i would  need for my 60l tank, thanks

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 09:08:06 PM »
Tufa

Do you mean this crushed coral? If you do, that's fine as it also contains aragonite which is good because that adds the magnesium that coral alone lacks. Naturally hard water contains both calcium and magnesium.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »
yes that seems like the stuff, will i have enough with the one bag and i guess i will have to put it in the filter, it states that it will keep approx ph of 8 which is high for my fish so will this be too much

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »
I would start small. You don't want to change things too quickly. Monitor the water for pH and both GH and KH and when they reach the level you want, don't add any more until it starts to disappear (very slowly). If you want soft water fish, aim to keep the GH at or below 8 german degrees.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
ok, thanks again

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 07:38:18 AM »
as a rough guide i have a about 2 to 3 desert spoons in both my external filter so about 6 spoons in total  for a 260 liter tank , althow i have just noitced recently that my tank ph was droping slightly but put this down to some coral haveing washed away in filter cleans etc but it had been in there about 6 months or more .

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 08:52:11 AM »
hi, i put some crushed oyster shell in my filter and my ph is around 7.2 now,been like this for a few weeks now .. if i put less in will the ph go down a little

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
Calcium carbonate (oyster shells, coral, limestone etc) is officially insoluble in water. All this really means is that it doesn't dissolve like a spoonful of sugar in a cup of tea. It dissolves very slowly in water.

The oyster shells in your filter will be dissolving very slowly, and the water passing though the filter carries the dissolved calcium and carbonate throughout the tank. It dissolves at the same rate all the time, but you do water changes which will remove some of the dissolved mineral and then it will build up again before the next water change. This is one reason that in this scenario, two smaller water changes a week are better than one big one - less fluctuations.

Over time, the amount of oyster shell will decrease as it dissolves. This means less calcium and less carbonate going into the tank. The oyster shells need topping up every so often to keep the water levels constant.

pH is tied up with calcium and carbonate. As they go up, so does pH.

If you reduce the amount of oyster shell in the filter, the calcium (GH) and carbonate (KH) being put into the tank water will decrease. There will be less calcium and carbonate dissolving so the level will stop going up as quickly - but the water changes remove some so that the levels will start to drop from what they are now. They won't go back to the tapwater level unless you remove it all.
And because pH is tied up with GH and KH, that will start to drop as well.

This is where trial and error comes in. You have to try different amounts of shell to find how much gives the pH, GH and KH you want.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
hi, trial and error seems to have worked, took out half of original amount and ph seems stable at 7.4 ish ,  :-)

Tags: sue 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "bigger tank "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 09:48:57 AM
by Mervyn
10 Replies
Last post November 12, 2013, 08:31:19 AM
by Sue
20 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 12:13:40 PM
by ColinB
31 Replies
Last post June 17, 2014, 08:39:50 AM
by Pawel
13 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 03:52:43 PM
by Diz1
40 Replies
Last post September 07, 2016, 11:02:08 AM
by Fiona
12 Replies
Last post March 04, 2018, 07:46:56 PM
by Helen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: