Author Topic: Betta fish tank - good buy?  (Read 4283 times) 5 replies

Offline AircooledDude

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Betta fish tank - good buy?
« on: February 05, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

Firstly thank you to Sue for some brilliant advice on suitable tanks for my betta.

Mine is currently sharing a tank with 6 harlequins and 6 neon tetras, plus 3 shrimps. They are all happily getting along with no issues in my 64l tank. However, I think the Fluval u2 filter is quite powerful and while I have reduced the flow rate I have decided to get my betta his own tank. I found this tetra 30l tank which it says is for goldfish but is way too small! However, I thought it may be good for my betta - it comes with heater, filter, background and looks like a good buy at £69 reduced from £99. It is currently on Amazon for £95. I just wondered if anybody has any thoughts on it. Also, it has vents in the lid which I thought would be good for my betta to breath when coming to the top.

Here is it:

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/glass-aquariums/tetra-aqua-art-explorer-goldfish-aquarium-kit-30l.html

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Betta fish tank - good buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:07:36 PM »
The tank in the link looks fine for a betta - though it doesn't give the rating of the filter. There are ways to reduce the flow, or if necessary replace the filter with a less powerful model.
One thing I would say though is that tanks with curved fronts can distort the view of what is inside the tank. If you can cope with that, fine. But if not go for something with flat sides.

Because this is quite a tall tank you will need something for the betta to sleep on near the surface. My betta sleeps on top of the filter! But a plant with big leaves (real or silk but not plastic) would be perfect. The reason I say not plastic is that they have shape edges which can cut a betta's delicate fins.
Bettas like things to explore, so plants of some type are a must with them.

I know from our earlier conversation that you have a Fluval U2 filter in your current tank. When you get your new tank, set it up and let it run for a day without any media in the filter. This will check there are no leaks and allow you to see how accurate the heater's settings are. When you are ready do move the betta, take a sponge from the U2 and cut it up to make it fit snuggly. If there is any room left over, fill it with media that comes with the filter - except carbon, don't bother with that. Put a new sponge in the U2. Then move the betta.
Check ammonia and nitrite daily for several days on both tanks and do a water change if you see either above zero.

Offline AircooledDude

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »
Thanks again Sue, this advice is very useful. The other choice of tank was this:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=167&pf_id=66081

It's bigger than I wanted but they do a 25/30l one I think. I have a solid wood stereo cabinet which is incredibly sturdy and the edges of the 54l version would over hang the cabinet by 2 or 3 cm each side. I wondered if this might put pressure on the aquarium, hence my decision not to buy it.

It looks like a decent aquarium for the money though.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:32:25 PM »
The tank should never overhang the stand or the base could crack. The way round it is to put a thick piece of wood between the stand and tank, a piece that is the same size of ever so slightly bigger than the tank so that the entire tank base is supported.

I've just googled the smaller version, it looks fine for a betta. The only problem would be the filter, the Aqua El pat mini. It is rated for tanks up to 120 litres and has a turnover of 400 litres per hour. That's 16 times the tank volume per hour. I know it says it has an adjustable flow, but how low can it go? And you'd have to cycle the filter, you couldn't use anything from your existing one. Or just get a different filter.

Aqua El also make a similar sized Classic tank but that one has fluorescent lighting, while the Leddy in your link has LED lights.

Offline AircooledDude

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »
Thank again Sue, much appreciated!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 12:40:44 PM »
My tank overhangs on a solid coffee table by a few cm either side.

I placed a thick piece of pine on the coffee table which is the length of the tan plus 1cm either side and my tank has been fine.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Betta fish tank - good buy?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 08:03:59 AM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 05:28:49 PM
by Diz1
12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 06:45:31 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 10:07:31 AM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 08:01:39 PM
by Aquamaid
7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2016, 02:15:00 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: