Best Way To Clean A Large Aquarium

Author Topic: Best way to clean a large aquarium  (Read 6679 times) 10 replies

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Best way to clean a large aquarium
« on: June 29, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My Roma 240 L is officially cycled (yay and yay some more!) so I'm on to the last stage of Sue's guide to fishless cycling: doing a 75% or more water change to clear the nitrates.

With my current/old 90L aquarium doing a big water change wasn't too bad but going forward with a bigger tank I'm not particularly looking forward to hauling lots of buckets (yes, maybe I should have thought about this before, but I decided to cross that bridge when I got there!).

For tomorrow's big water change I'll be draining with a hose and probably refiling with a hose from the outside cold water tap (as there'll be no fish in it yet), but what do people here use to do their water changes?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Platy (4) - Platy (10) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cardinal Tetra (8) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Congo Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Best way to clean a large aquarium
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 08:07:43 PM »
I use 20 litre drums...

When one is syphoned full, I swap the hose into the empty drum and remove the full one... Either outside or down the sink. These particular drums have two caps, one large one small, which helps me control the flow by lying the drum on it's side, removing the small cap, then slowly opening the large upper cap, which allows me to direct the water against the side of the sink and minimise overspill...

The good thing about you having no fish just now is that you have the luxury of being able to fill with a garden hose and cold water, and simultaneously top up with buckets of hot water as hot as your taps can dish out, provided you have a combi boiler???

If not, you will have to boil kettles of water to get it up to temperature. You could allow the heater to do this but that will take a good while for 240 litres which means you would have to wait til the next day to buy fish.

Also, filling with a hose, you can just add a full 240 litre dose of tap safe/dechlorinator into one bucket. The earlier during the refill you dose it the better.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 08:38:15 PM »
I use buckets.
It's a bit tedious, but there we go.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »
I know my 180 litre isn't that big, but I use buckets as well. A 12 litre bucket for the old water - I only have to lift that a couple of inches off the floor - and an 8 litre bucket filled to 7.5 litres as the 8 is to the rim, which I can lift onto a tall stool to ladle the water into the tank with a 1 litre jug. If I tried to pour the bucket straight in I'd only soak myself and the carpet.

I can tell you the method often used by those with really big tanks. These tanks have external filters and if the tube sucking water out of the tank is low down it can be left running. They remove water with a hose, often using a contraption called a python or a DIY version of one, then refill with the hose and cold water. The new water is trickled in slowly and the heater turned on as soon as the water level is high enough. With in-line heaters if the external filter is left running the heater can also be left on. If the water is just trickled in, the heater warms it quite quickly.
The amount of dechlorinator needed for the new water is added in one dose at the beginning of refilling.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:45:52 PM »
Hello Mascol. I'm only a 200litre tank at present but I syphon into a 30litre bucket but then have a small pump constantly taking the water out to a garden water butt for the hanging baskets (a nice bit of liquid fertiliser for them) For the refill I also have a 60 litre store of water that I condition and preheat to tank temperature ready for next weeks change and use the same pump to refill the tank. Just don't get distracted when refilling!!

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 11:50:58 PM »
 Thanks guys.  So I'm not the only one with random ornaments in my tank... Paddy. I blame my kids of course, they came to the LFS with me and we came out with a turtle and a ship :-/ The turtle has benefitted from algae growth and I've accidentally-on purpose tied a large mop of java moss to the ship...

Interesting, several different techniques for water changes on offer already.  So far I've just been using a single 10 L bucket, so clearly plenty of room for improvement!

I definitely want to try my hand at using a hosepipe. Buckets = spillage - on me.

Looked at a python, but they seem a bit pricey. Instead I've ordered a hose connector which hopefully will work on the utility room mixer tap.  But for tomorrow the outside cold tap will have to do.

Platy (4) - Platy (10) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cardinal Tetra (8) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Congo Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 02:09:21 PM »
I've bought a JBL Aqua In and Out, but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't review it. This was to make modest water changes much more efficient, as I plan to run the outlet out the conservatory window and directly into the outflow grate. Fresh water returned via a hose; dechlorinator pre-applied to tank. I will allow the tank to over-heat to about 27 degrees and return cold water. For a 20% water change I doubt this would cause any problems to the fish.

I bought the whole "kit" which is more expensive, but from looking around you could probably buy the constituent parts, especially the siphon, separately for a lot cheaper. Just a suggestion.

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 02:39:48 PM »
In the end i realised i didnt have a suitable length of hosepipe (doh), so did my 80% water change with siphon, large plastic jug and my trusty bucket. Took a fair while, but the end result was worth it.

Cora, any system that doesn't involve buckets is of interest to me. I'd be very interested in reading a review of your JBL once it's arrived.

Mascha

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 05:11:35 PM »
In the end i realised i didnt have a suitable length of hosepipe (doh), so did my 80% water change with siphon, large plastic jug and my trusty bucket. Took a fair while, but the end result was worth it.

Cora, any system that doesn't involve buckets is of interest to me. I'd be very interested in reading a review of your JBL once it's arrived.

Mascha
It still hasn't arrived and I'm chasing up the seller on eBay. Their reputation is good so I assume it's an honest mistake.

I'm also through with carrying buckets!

In the meantime I do water changes with a stretch of PVC transparent tubing. You can get this of any size and length on eBay; it's very cheap. I suck a bit on the end and once the flow starts I point it out the door (my tank is in a conservatory) and let gravity do the rest. I drain about 20-30% of the water this way. I have a hose which is permanently connected to the tap in my back garden - I just run the hose into the tank and against a plastic carrier bag. Adding Prime to the flow I just use cold water and don't attempt to equalise the temperature. The difference in temp is only a couple of degrees at most and the heater gets this back to nominal in no time.

Note: if I were changing more than 30% I wouldn't add this much cold water to the tank. But for regular weekly water changes of 10-20% I don't think there's any problem with adding dechlorinated water straight from the "cold" tap (it's not that cold anyway). My weekly water changes are now so easy I actually look forward to them.

There's also a product called "python" which does the same thing: basically the pressure from the water tap acts as a siphon so no need to suck on tubing yourself. The idea is to drain the water then reverse the flow and put fresh stuff in. Nice and easy. But I'll let you know after I've used it.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 07:15:05 PM »
I will also be very interested as I have even been carrying the buckets out to water the garden. It would be awesome if I could just put the hose through the window.

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 07:37:07 AM »
Cheers Cora, i had been wondering about adding just cold water - as my tank is 240,  I think I'll just give it a go. Anything to get away from buckets really! Im sure in nature the water temperature will vary too.

By the way I've shamelessly borrowed your plastic bag trick and that worked well; no big dents in my substrate.  :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Best way to clean a large aquarium"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 02:52:35 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 07:56:47 PM
by Paul T 85
2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 03:26:42 PM
by graygang
12 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 02:27:21 PM
by ColinB
7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2014, 07:49:55 AM
by Puffin
2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 08:01:39 PM
by Aquamaid
6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 05:44:28 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: