Aquarium Heater Control - What Do You Think?

Author Topic: Aquarium Heater Control - What do you think?  (Read 5237 times) 9 replies

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Aquarium Heater Control - What do you think?
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:55:05 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi folks,
Ive just been reading a horror story about a guy whos aquarium heater stuck on while he was away on holiday and killed all his fish, and it got me to thinking. Since my tank has two 300w heaters, that technically is a possibility. Redundancy, as always can double an opposing risk.

So then I naturally got to thinking of independant temperature controllers used in teh traditional way, but of course, they also could also fail and cause the heaters to stick on.

So what if I took:

Something like this:
http://www.ink-bird.com/product/detail/p/ITC-308_Outlet_Thermostat_Temperature_Controller/id/12

Then left my 2x Fluval E300's set as normal, but plugged into this controller and then set the max temp on this controller as 2 deg C higher than my tank.

As far as I can see, when my normally 27C tank got to 29C, this device would remove the power from both heaters and restore it when it dropped too low, thus controlling my aquarium temperature in my abscence, even with 2x broken heaters that are stuck on.

Or am I missing something?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Aquarium Heater Control - What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 12:20:49 PM »
Interesting idea.

You could always test it by turning the heater settings up slightly. The fish shouldn't come to harm as the temp won't be higher than usual for long if the controller works. They have to cope with spells of warmer water during a heatwave and this test should be no different from that.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 01:01:30 PM »
Looks like a good idea...... try it with your kettle to switch off at (say) 30°C.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 01:16:12 PM »
Seems like it'd work, but strikes me as feeding your paranoia and will likely prove unnecessary. :isay:
Unless you're a very unlucky person and then you might want to consider this setup doubled up with 4 heaters.  :rotfl:

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »
Stu, I think this is what you really need! ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 10:29:39 PM »
My shrimpery got killed by a malfunctioning heater but I'm not techno savvy...come on you know some of you guys love tinkering with mechanical stuff  :P

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 08:41:12 AM »
Thanks folks,
It all seems to be right in theory but it struck me as odd that I had never read anyone using one in this way so wondered if I was missing something obvious.

Overkill? Maybe. But then long term, what's another £20 to be sure that problem, which seems surprisingly common, is pretty much eradicated.

Colin, I like seneye actually, looks good, but wouldn't help me if I was away from home, other than I'd KNOW they were all boiling to death. :(

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 12:41:05 PM »
@Evolution Stu - I wholeheartedly agree with your logic.

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »
@Evolution Stu - I wholeheartedly agree with your logic.

Thanks. Think at some point I will give ita  go and report back on its effectiveness.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 09:21:49 PM »
Stu,
Your method will definitely work, and its a good idea to have the second level of control, its normal practice in boilers and ovens. One control does the work clicking on and off and the other just stays closed until its really needed. Neither guard against a short circuit welding the contacts closed but this will almost certainly take the fuse out so its still safe.
I use a central heating controller for my tank a - field return so it was free :) but I use it in the 'normal' way with the heater thermostat set just above the controller temperature.
I do it this way because a dedicated temperature controller generally controls temperature better than the mechanical controls on the heaters and I can set the tank temperature on the display rather than the small dial on the heater. It also has a separate sensor is so its not affected by the heater itself.
A large number of our controls can now be controlled over the internet so I could see the tank temperature on my phone (I don't because that of course is weird) We even have central heating controls that could run 12 tanks (rooms) at different temperatures so if your MTS develops into a fish room I can suggest a good solution :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Aquarium Heater Control - What do you think?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 10:46:10 PM
by jesnon
0 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 03:15:06 PM
by evan47
6 Replies
Last post December 16, 2014, 08:32:32 PM
by Gav
2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 07:58:43 PM
by Jwc
4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2018, 09:13:17 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2018, 02:05:55 PM
by uv
18 Replies
Last post August 22, 2021, 08:50:08 AM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: