AquaNano, Fish Keep Getting Stuck In Pump/heater Compartment?

Author Topic: AquaNano, fish keep getting stuck in Pump/heater compartment?  (Read 6314 times) 6 replies

Offline Dawnrosie

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
AquaNano, fish keep getting stuck in Pump/heater compartment?
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:59:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
nearly every day I have to rescue my male rainbow killi and his wife from the pump/heater compartment? None of the others get in there and i cant see how they are doing it? Ive put a bit of plastic freezer bag all the way along the back wall but still they get in there, Baffled!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: AquaNano, fish keep getting stuck in Pump/heater compartment?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:06:03 PM »
Killifish are surface dwellers and can jump. Is there any gap above the divider that separates off the filter compartment and the lid? Even a quarter inch gap would be enough for a fish to get through.
Is there a gap around the filter outflow? You could plug that with a bit of filter wool.

Offline Dawnrosie

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 02:09:21 PM »
no gap on the filter outlet and ive sealed off the gap with the plastic bag, i cant see anywhere they could be getting through other than jumping a sliding under the bag but that doesn't really seem feasible even for these acrobatic fish

Offline Dawnrosie

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 02:19:14 PM »
ive used some of those little pegs you get with a christmas card line, lets see if the buggers can get through now! Only thing is now the glass is 2 inches proud of the front of the tank

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »
I wouldn't put anything past fish.
Years ago I had some zebra danios. The filter in the tank was a wide rectangular shaped one which had a dimple in the top to allow a finger to prise the front panel off for cleaning. It was situated with just an eighth of an inch of water above it. The danios would wriggle onto the top of the filter and spawn, leaving the eggs in the dimple. If I hadn't actually seen them doing it I wouldn't have believed a fish would actually slither along in such a tiny amount of water and then to spawn there  :o
The point of this tale is to show that fish will squeeze into the tiniest space if they decide that's what they want to do, and there is not much we can do about it unless we catch them in the act so we know exactly what they are doing, I'm afraid.

Offline Dawnrosie

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 02:34:53 PM »
my tank is heavily planted so there are lots of hiding places for them but maybe they prefer their own suite so ill look out for something suitable to give them their own private room! I have 2 other pairs of Killi and a pair of guppies as well as a wood shrimp but not seem him yet since i put him in the tank yesterday but not worried yet as i know they can take a while to find their feet in a new tank

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:30:04 PM »
I had a ninja glowlight that I regularly had to free from a tiny space between the tank and the back of the filter, I stuffed the gap with wool in the end, I used to be so worried that I'd squish it trying to free it and I still have nightmares about the otto that managed to wedge itself between 2 wooden prongs on a lump of bogwood. I had to leave the house while my son freed it. He had to push down and backwards to free the damned thing, I was sure it would be damaged in some way. After that Dan got a saw out of the shed and sawed off all the bits he thought likely to cause the same problem...off the bogwood not the otto I hasten to add!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "AquaNano, fish keep getting stuck in Pump/heater compartment?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 02:04:00 PM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 05:03:52 PM
by denzilsdad
9 Replies
Last post January 12, 2015, 12:33:30 PM
by ColinB
6 Replies
Last post November 18, 2014, 01:50:08 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2015, 01:49:48 PM
by fcmf
21 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 08:16:01 PM
by mazzamoo
0 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 08:17:56 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: