Author Topic: Air Powered Sponge Filter  (Read 5276 times) 30 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Re: Air Powered Sponge Filter
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 10:49:50 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thanks JPC. This is the (Baldrick) cunning plan:

1) Remove the recently cycled pieces of sponge from the existing Aqua 50, cut them into smaller pieces, and add them to the basket/strainer in the air filter.

2) Add crushed coral in some sort of muslin / bag and put it in the now empty sponge compartment in the Aqua 50.

3) Put both in the tank and switch on.

4) Pray! - with an NH3 tester in one hand and a bottle of Prime in the other!

5) After cycling, replace the small pieces of sponge in the basket with the "mature" coral.

6) See (4) above

7) Remove the Aqua 50 from the tank.

I have read that you can strap a piece of mature sponge to the air filter with a cable tie. This is the back-up plan. What do you think?

Skittler

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 08:42:20 PM »
All seems fine to me :) keep us in the loop on how it goes  :cheers:

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 10:38:27 PM »
Yes I second that please do. I checked the AquaOne sponge units and they too have an area for potential storage which got me thinking.........will it effect the amount of draw through the sponge if it’s crammed with media??

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 04:19:17 AM »
If you were adding sponge only which is in small pieces anyway then I would assume not a problem as there will be flow through the sponge pieces and between them (provided you don’t pack them in extremely tightly so they compress or anything). The crushed coral... maybe this could impact things - I would think carefully about placement to ensure no route is blocked.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2020, 07:49:53 AM »
If you were adding sponge only which is in small pieces anyway then I would assume not a problem as there will be flow through the sponge pieces and between them (provided you don’t pack them in extremely tightly so they compress or anything). The crushed coral... maybe this could impact things - I would think carefully about placement to ensure no route is blocked.

Hi @Skittler

I go along with what @Matt has said above. Rather than having to do too many ammonia tests, you may wish to consider popping a Seachem Ammonia Alert inside your tank. I have one of these in one of my tanks. They measure and continuously display the free ammonia in the water. They're a few £ each. Take a look at:

https://www.seachem.com/ammonia-alert.php

JPC

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 10:47:02 AM »
Thanks guys,

I will test the crushed coral idea in a bucket. Will keep you posted.

Skittler

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 12:37:25 PM »

Hi @Skittler

I go along with what @Matt has said above. Rather than having to do too many ammonia tests, you may wish to consider popping a Seachem Ammonia Alert inside your tank. I have one of these in one of my tanks. They measure and continuously display the free ammonia in the water. They're a few £ each. Take a look at:

https://www.seachem.com/ammonia-alert.php

JPC

@jaypeecee  do you rely solely on this bit of kit or do you X reference it? And how often do you replace the unit?

Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 11:00:33 PM »
@jaypeecee...do you rely solely on this bit of kit or do you X reference it? And how often do you replace the unit?

Hi @LeakysLab

When I use an Ammonia Alert in an established tank, I rely solely on it. Unless I do something in the tank that necessitates double-checking with a liquid test. But, if I am using an Ammonia Alert in a tank that is being cycled for the first time, I will also use a liquid test kit at least once a day. Incidentally, Seachem do an ammonia liquid test kit based on the same chemistry as that used in the Ammonia Alert. I only discovered this recently - so, from now on, I'll switch from the JBL ammonia test kit. The good thing about the Seachem ammonia liquid test is that it measures both total and free ammonia. Here it is:

https://seachem.com/multitest-ammonia.php

You asked about the usable lifetime of the Ammonia Alert. According to Seachem's website, it "Lasts over a year".

JPC

Edits: 2/5/2020 2325 - 2340 (Hopefully) simplified the wording!

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 11:31:04 PM »
Thanks @jaypeecee I will take a look.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2020, 07:02:55 PM »
Hello All,

In the end I decided to abandon the crushed coral idea, and just transfer the mature media to the sponge filter. I only managed to get about 50% of it in the strainer. It wasn't tightly packed. I put the rest of it next to the filter. To my surprise, I had no ammonia spike. As Sue has said, a significant amount of bacteria must be on plants and other surfaces, and the tank is lightly stocked at the moment. Also the plants have increased noticeably, after weekly 50% doses of TNC Lite fertiliser. I am using food grade potassium bicarbonate for KH, and Aqualibra calcium and mineral blocks for GH. Both are working well so far. (I have have used Aqualibra for a few years in the 125L without problem).

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice,

Skittler

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2020, 09:42:26 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi @Skittler

As TNC Lite contains no nitrogen compounds coupled with the fact that your "plants have increased noticeably", it is almost certain that your plants will have taken up the ammonia. Plants preferentially consume ammonia instead of nitrate.

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Air Powered Sponge Filter"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 06:20:26 AM
by MaidinBelfast
2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
by biffster
53 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 11:07:16 PM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2016, 10:47:16 AM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post December 10, 2016, 06:35:52 AM
by Matt
10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
by sharpandroid

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: