Advise On Lighting

Author Topic: Advise on lighting  (Read 4573 times) 10 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Advise on lighting
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:00:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi!

I have an 11watt Aquael lighting module economy sunny in my 21 litre tank. i also have a lot of algae and some of my plants have lost all their leaves.  could this be due to the lighting being to strong for the size of the tank??

here is my current light.

should I invest in a lower wattage lighting module??

FC76

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Advise on lighting
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
The light is definitely not too strong for your tank. There's an old guideline about having a minimum of 2 watts per gallon for a planted tank. It's a guideline I hate, but it gives a ballpark figure. According to my calculations, you have 1.98W per gallon.

Look here for a guide to types and causes of algae.
Look here for a guide to plants and their deficiencies for a guide to your plant problems.
Make sure your lights aren't on for more than 10-12 hours day maximum.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 08:20:02 AM »
Does your tank get sunlight - that seems to promote algae.

If the leaf-loss is the lower leaves of a plant then this is 'cos they're shaded by the upper leaves. This is very difficult to avoid and best disguised by planting things like crypts at the front/middle of the tank and the leaf-losers at the back so the bare stems are hidden.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:41:55 AM »
Thanks Guys!!

That's a relief I was not looking forward to more outlay on a new light!!!  I'll check the links Steve as I have just ordered some new plants and some plant food (esha prophyll).

I do get sunlight in the tank in the mornings but only for about an hour and i don't put the lights on until midday then switch them off again between 7-8pm.

Some of the plants that had lost leaves have started to regrow, they were my newest ones, so i wonder if they were just settling in???

the algae i have most trouble with is green hair algae, but the esha 2000 treatment seems to have eradicated it, so fingers crossed it wont come back!!!!

FC76

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »
Many aquatic plants are actually grown by suppliers out of water (emerse) because they grow more quickly than underwater (submerse). The leaves that grow emerse are often slightly different from the ones that grow submerse and in the aquarium they will die away to be replaced by new ones more adapted to underwater. I'd wait and see if they regrow before getting rid of them.

Actual evidence, as opposed to popular opinion, is that algae are encouraged by  excess nutrients rather than light. Although we worry about nitrites/nitrates because they may affect fish, water also contains phosphates and excess phosphate is the commonest cause of algae growth in ponds etc and there is no reason to suspect that it is any different in aquaria. Of course, if your plants begin to grow strongly they will also use the excess nutrients which should in turn reduce the algal growth. Adding plant fertiliser when the plants are not growing well can actually increase the algal problem ...................

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 06:01:14 PM »
I noticed today that my Elodea densa has growth on it that is more lush than other parts. The ropey looking stuff is the old stuff. Just the same in the garden really- plants that I rescue from the 'reduced' corner put on lovely new growth after a while that replaces the original stuff.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Advice on lighting
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »
Got another lighting question chaps!!!!

i am looking at getting an isolation tank, just a small one of about 24 litres. the one I am looking at doesn't come with a light  and I am thinking of getting this light.

Firstly, do you know if this is any good?  Secondly, would i be better to go for the 28 or the 48 LED lamp?

May decide against the tank and the light but would still appreciate your advice please.

Thanks,

FC76

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 07:10:41 PM »
Hi fishcake, I wouldn't bother with a light for an isolation tank - the lower light levels could help reduce stress for new/poorly fish.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 07:12:11 PM »
dbaggie beat me to it!

You don't need a light. Sick fish are easily stressed and are better off in the dark. Well, room light which is a lot dimmer than a tank light. And if the fish needs treating, a lot of meds work better without the light on.
Since a hospital/quarantine tank is only used for a short time for any given fish, they don't need lights. Only if you want live plants in there. I always use plastic plants in a QT, and plastic decor too. They can be sterilised if necessary.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 07:13:05 PM »
Yes, good point!!!!

Perhaps I'll just get the tank for now and add lighting later if I want it!!

Food for thought! Thanks dbaggie and Sue!!!  :D

FC76

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 10:59:27 PM »
put the light on a timer and split your
lighting time up ie 9 till 12 then 2 till 10.30
you will find with to shorter photo periods
that it will cut down on your algae i would
also test for nitrates and phosphates it might
also be worth investing in some algae exit or some
easycarbo 

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Advise on lighting"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 12:53:22 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 07:38:03 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 03:23:41 PM
by Sue
17 Replies
Last post September 14, 2014, 07:27:13 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 03:00:44 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 08:46:16 AM
by Aquamaid
17 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 09:40:04 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: